Hernias?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hernias?

Postby Aubin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:33 am

Let's talk about our nuts fellas. :lol:

I've been playing 2 rounds a weekend, practicing distance throws once a week in between, and building a course (digging, hiking, 50 lb bags of concrete etc). No problems until a few days ago, woke up with some pain in my testicle. Yeah.

It's been constant for about 3 days now. I looked up sports hernias and other types, but it's pretty confusing. There's no swelling or major pain but just a constant nagging kicked in the nuts feeling. There was no 'moment' when it happened, just woke up one day to the pain.

Anyone have any experience with this? Obviously I'll go see a doctor soon, just wondering if anyone has any stories to share.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Re: Hernias?

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 am

Aubin wrote:Let's talk about our nuts fellas. :lol:

I've been playing 2 rounds a weekend, practicing distance throws once a week in between, and building a course (digging, hiking, 50 lb bags of concrete etc). No problems until a few days ago, woke up with some pain in my testicle. Yeah.

It's been constant for about 3 days now. I looked up sports hernias and other types, but it's pretty confusing. There's no swelling or major pain but just a constant nagging kicked in the nuts feeling. There was no 'moment' when it happened, just woke up one day to the pain.

Anyone have any experience with this? Obviously I'll go see a doctor soon, just wondering if anyone has any stories to share.

As you probably read, a hernia is when part of your intestine pokes through a hole to your nutsack. Luckily I've never had one stick, but I've felt brief moments of pain that I suspect were part of my intestive herniating for a moment before going back into place. It is not a pain in your balls, its more like a sharp internal pinching at the point it happens. It doesn't sound like that's what you have. I'd check with a Dr...you don't want to mess around with that part of your anatomy.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Roy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I had a hernia and I never really felt any pain. No pop or anything like that. I think I did it when I was a package monkey at UPS while in college.

It was noticable in my sack if I was standing up.

I had it repaired and it bothers me from time to time. They stapled in some mesh so I dont know if it's that or scar tissue. I just have to avoid tight fitting waists on my pants or it's pretty uncomfortable.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:31 pm

discspeed wrote:...you don't want to mess around with that part of your anatomy.

...or do you?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby gratefuldisc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:32 pm

similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. woke up at 5am because it felt like someone kicked me square in the junk.

long story short, pain meds, surgery, kept the nut, my boys still swim, sometimes it still hurts.

get that shit checked out.
The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter, either side of the hill. -Robert Hunter

Boss, Predator, OLF, OLS, JLS, QMS, Sentinel, Warlock
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby Aubin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:38 pm

gratefuldisc wrote:similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. woke up at 5am because it felt like someone kicked me square in the junk.

long story short, pain meds, surgery, kept the nut, my boys still swim, sometimes it still hurts.

what did it end up being?
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Postby Roy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Aubin wrote:
gratefuldisc wrote:similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. woke up at 5am because it felt like someone kicked me square in the junk.

Someone kicked him square in the junk when he was sleeping :lol:
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:12 pm

I had inguinal hernia surgery about 9 months ago. I didn't even know I had it. I was laid off from my job, got another job but had to pass a physical for it. Last part of the test was the two finger jab to the nads. WOOOOO!
I was like... "Wtf I don't feel any pain"

Luckily my last employer was required to carry me under their insurance for 30 days after they laid me off. So BAM, $500 deductible, and $10K worth of bills sent directly to Blue Cross/Blue Shield. COMPLIMENTS OF MY SACK BITCHES!

I was in a lot of pain after the surgery. Shit takes a lot out of you. I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs for a month just because I was only comfortable in certain positions for sleeping.
I got the mesh in mine, and they stitched it from the inside. Wasn't too bad. Scaring is minimal. It had a bump around the spot where they sewed it up, but it's not bad now. I felt it pull here and there after the surgery. It actually held me back from working out again. When I finally felt like I was ok to start doing some activities and actual working out, I started feeling it pull when I'd move and bend in certain ways. It wasn't horribly painful, but prolly because I held myself back from making it worse. My pain wasn't really in my nads, but more around 2" below my belt line where they made the incision.

After the surgery they gave me some meds, and I had this ball with a tube going inside the cut into my body. It was a pressure released pain med that worked really well. After a couple of days the ball had all the meds sucked out and it was kinda crushed from the inside like a pingpong ball... And I had to just pull the tube out. Felt weird, but it really helped with the pain.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby gratefuldisc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Aubin wrote:

well the surgery was to remove a cyst on my right epiditmus(sp?), the squishy shrimp shaped thing on the top of your nut where it connects to the vas, but the pain didn't really go all the way away, they said it was probably scar tissue on the nerve and there was nothing else they could do, sorry, have a nice day...
The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter, either side of the hill. -Robert Hunter

gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby gratefuldisc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Roy wrote:
Aubin wrote:

Someone kicked him square in the junk when he was sleeping :lol:

I don't think my wife would have let me go through with the surgery if she did that. I hope. :lol:

gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:38 pm

i had a similar pain recently, and it wasn't the first time i felt it either. I was a nagging pain right next to where the left side of my sack connects to my upper thigh. It only hurt for about half a day and I walked it off. I'm starting to think it's some kind of muscle strain from twisting or something. who knows, but i'm not going to see a doctor until i get another job.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Aubin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:48 am

keltik wrote:i had a similar pain recently, and it wasn't the first time i felt it either. I was a nagging pain right next to where the left side of my sack connects to my upper thigh. It only hurt for about half a day and I walked it off. I'm starting to think it's some kind of muscle strain from twisting or something. who knows, but i'm not going to see a doctor until i get another job.

Update: this is pretty much what it ended up being, just some sort of groin muscle strain, that translated into testicle pain too. No hernia thank gawd. I guess it's time to stretch more often.
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:20 pm

You're going to want to stretch a lot, any time you do anything active. I had a similar strain and it STILL comes back if I'm tight and try to do things...first showed up like a year and a half ago, and I felt it last night when I was changing my tire...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby matchu » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I currently have an umbilical hernia, popping out of my belly button. I actually pushed it back in a few years ago. Talk about a weird feeling. I can feel sharp pains in my abdomen sometimes. I have had a swollen epide....whatever and that was painful.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:27 pm

matchu wrote:I currently have an umbilical hernia, popping out of my belly button. I actually pushed it back in a few years ago. Talk about a weird feeling. I can feel sharp pains in my abdomen sometimes. I have had a swollen epide....whatever and that was painful.

Those are supposedly more dangerous than the inguinal hernias. You need to get that taken care of.

I hear you on the wierd feeling. I dont think we're supposed to feel our intestines being manipulated.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury