lower right back pain

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

lower right back pain

Postby masterbeato » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

this has been going on for 2 weeks now and today it is the worst it has ever been. it is not excruciating pain, but it prevents me from actually making big twist movements.

the pain is located on the right side, between my butt and the actual back.

i figure it is just a strain and i should not do anything for a few days but i hope i am not completely done. i cannot see a doctor because i have no health insurance.

it feels quite painful to move in certain positions, and the pain seems pretty bad but not terrible.

any experts on body death in here?
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: lower right back pain

Postby keltik » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:38 pm

sciatica...it's literally a pain in the ass :lol:

basically what it is is a pinched nerve (the sciatic nerve) in your lower back. It is most common on the right side of the body but can appear on the left side as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica

It's a very common disorder. I've been battling it for almost 10 years now. not wearing a wallet on your back pocket helps a lot. if you must wear a wallet really slim it down, can the Castanza. I'm using an inversion table now along with some stretching (just google lower back stretches) with really great success. tight hamstrings also contribute to sciatica.

good luck.

EDIT: I didn't realize it was you Dan until I proof read my post. finally something to tame the beast :lol:. but yeah if you do those stretches that you posted "to get taller" it will help your back. and just take it easy for about a week or so.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby masterbeato » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:49 pm

lol thanks keltik, yeah it is just an irritation and i just got done stretching my glutes and hamstrings and for some reason it feels great now i did that before and it did not make the pain go away but now it did.

Blake told me to stretch those and for some reason i did not work until now.

weird. i am a tall guy so that may be the case but as long as i know that it is nothing severe i can live with that.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby keltik » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 pm

have you put on any extra weight lately?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby mobster » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:08 pm

When I played soccer in middle and high school I would routinely pull one of the Gluteus muscles and the pain is pretty much what you described.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Redisculous » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:12 pm

I had the same thing about a month ago, same side and everything, I did some really cheesey stretches that you would probably imagine your grandpa doing and it worked wonders, although it did take a few sessions before I felt like it was doing any good.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby JR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 am

If standing tall type of stretches work then hanging from a bar should help. Possibly yoga pose palm tree as well when you do it right. BUT I don't know how those exercises influence sciatica if it even is that. No doc would do diagnosis without examination. I'm not a doc so what do I know. Rehder and I both have had help to lower back pain by sleeping on back but I don't know if the sciatic nerve gets worse from the pressure. Lying on side relaxes lower back muscles and if you're on your left side that should not put any pressure on the right sciatic nerve.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blink » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:48 am

I pulled a muscle in my hip flexor last year and it took 6 months to heal completely, I just had to take it easy for a few weeks then ease back into it. It was in my lower right back above my butt. Definitely was above my butt though, I don't know if you have the same problem I had, but you'll know if it lasts 6 months!
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby biscgolf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 pm

i had sciatica on my right side for years- sometimes very severe. was primarily a product of screenprinting for a living. eventually i ruptured my l4/l5 on the left side- not a speck of right side sciatica in 5 years since.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby Mason65 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:18 pm

In addition to recommended stretches be sure to warm up, which vastly increases the usefulness of stretching. So stretch, jog a mile or so, then stretch again. You'll see a significant difference.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby masterbeato » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Mason65 wrote:In addition to recommended stretches be sure to warm up, which vastly increases the usefulness of stretching. So stretch, jog a mile or so, then stretch again. You'll see a significant difference.

i used to be a gymnast in middle school and high school, and i knwo for a fact that before you do any stretching you have to raise the bodies temp. in ways like you said.

after years of not doing any gym i have tightened up a lot and i am not really sure what it is, but i am pretty sure it is not sciatic problems.

my glute's feel really really tight lately, but my hamstrings are even worse.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 pm

i am going to really start training myself hard again. i miss the slim and flexibility i used to have, granted i am older now and will not be the same but it will still be awesome.

i really need to get myself back into shape and really push myself because thanks to DG, i have something to really be athletic about again. it is amazing how much better you are when you are sick flexi and slim.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby scottp » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 am

masterbeato wrote:it is amazing how much better you are when you are sick flexi and slim.

I see you realized this after I out drove you on hole 17 at bryant lake. :lol:
Michael Scott wrote:I'm an early bird and I'm a night owl, so I'm wise and have worms.
scottp
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 am

masterbeato wrote:i am going to really start training myself hard again. i miss the slim and flexibility i used to have, granted i am older now and will not be the same but it will still be awesome.

i really need to get myself back into shape and really push myself because thanks to DG, i have something to really be athletic about again. it is amazing how much better you are when you are sick flexi and slim.

i tore my ac joint in my shoulder last summer(raquetball). when I had the strength to rehab that arm, i decided to drop weight(15 lbs, down to 195). it is all about the diet, you will have a ton more energy and mental focus if you eat the right foods. also did exercises to strengthen the disc golf muscles I would be using. my knees and back also feel much better
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby masterbeato » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:57 pm

i talked to my neurologist on the phone and we were talking about how in DG the main muscle in your back that you use in your throw is the lower right muscle (for RHBH) which happens to be the one that hurts. i have been playing like every single day all day for the past month or two so now i know my problem and she agreed and said that i had a strain in that muscle due to overuse.

i am out for 2-3 weeks and gotta stretch it to keep it healthy.

not only is my neurologist smart, she is also sick hawt.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury