Interesting elbow issue

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Interesting elbow issue

Postby cboy40 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:12 pm

So my elbow only hurts at specific times. When I am playing with a group, it seems to do ok due to the time between shots. If I play by myself, however, I can only get through 9 or 10 holes before I can hardly grip a disc. It also happens if I play successive days. Sometimes drinking a LOT of water beforehand helps. It just seems a little weird. Last summer I literally played every day without any pain. I'm a LHFH guy...not sure if it has anything to do with it or not. Any ideas out there?
cboy40
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Re: Interesting elbow issue

Postby Redisculous » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:37 pm

I don't throw forehand so I can't really say, but the reason you see so few pro's that are FH dominant is the same reason you see so few pro sidearm pitchers. Higher potential for injury. I'm sure if you searched hard enough you could find a few threads on this, use google advanced search to search by site since the search function is busted.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby JR » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:27 am

Have you taken a couple of weeks off to see if the elbow heals? Or a longer pause if that doesn't help. There's plenty of season left maybe you should invest in sick time to insure continued playing time. Or go see a doc. The best FH player is injured now because he pushed through pain all winter despite my attempts at persuasion at trying to heal himself and taking time off. He may not be well enough to defend his European championship title in August. Take care and maybe see a doctor if time off doesn't suffice.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cboy40 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 am

time off doesn't help. i'm wondering if maybe a few advil before a round my cut it. i wish i had a decent BH.
cboy40
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Postby FierceTable » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Tendon and ligament injuries tend to take many months to heal and even then they may never heal correctly. If it doesn't hurt to throw backhand it might be a good opportunity to develop that shot. I'm forehand dominant and can't play more than ten rounds a week without doing a number on my elbow. When I go at it particularly hard, I spend the next month or two playing backhand dominant. If you have no intention of taking it easy on the forehand I highly recommend the ICE portion of RICE therapy. Putting ice on the elbow for 15 minutes four times a day is probably the best non-pharmacologic thing you can do for yourself assuming you're not willing to give it a rest. I'd avoid NSAIDs (naproxen and ibuprofen) for long term therapy, but they work quite well at reducing swelling and might be something to consider using if you're having a particularly bad flare up or plan on playing in a tournament.
FierceTable
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury