Guitar good for DG?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Guitar good for DG?

Postby jenb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I've been playing guitar for 30 years, and I am terrible at disc golf.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby inthedrift » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

I've been playing myself now for about 20 years (wow has it really been that long) but I must say I've played less since I've become obsessed with DG. DG makes me play my instrument less...
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Leopard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 pm

inthedrift wrote:DG makes me play my instrument less...

heh.. this just reminded me of something that happened like five years ago.

My former roommate / drummer had kinda lost it mentally while living alone. He started writing on his walls a lot. Real big one day ..

DISC GOLF KILLED
MY GUITAR PLAYER

Anyway he lived across the street from the campus course. Like, you could drive on a basket from his yard. So I visited him mostly for the sweet parking and entertainment.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Parks » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:08 am

A lot of instruments certainly build finger and wrist strength, but whether its the right muscles and type of strength for DG is something that I don't know.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jenb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I think many people who gravitate towards guitar have big hands and fast twitch muscles.

Big hands usually means, well, not what you're thinking, but more height and longer arms than average, and everyine I've seen drive 2.5 times as far as me has been really tall with long arms.

Plus, fast twitch muscles are going to be a lot more use than slow twitch at driving the disc far.

I think it's mostly a correlation that people who have the genes that make guitar easy also have the genes that make disc golf easy.

But, unlike most, I lack the big hands and fast twitch muscles. I play through the pain and frustration, both in guitar and disc golf.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Previous

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury