Elbow Pain!!!!

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Elbow Pain!!!!

Postby JugStomper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Ive been playing seriously every other day for over a month and I know my form is not good yet, but last week I decided to learn side-arm and during that time my right elbow started hurting really bad!!!!!! It feels like the inside of the elbow.
After playing it immediately went away, until the next day when it came back twice as hard after throwing a tennis ball a few times with the kids, barely throwing it, it hurt for awhile until I was able to relax fully an hour later and then it went away completely.
Went yesterday to play a round and right away it was bad, really bad, but I kept playing, I took some IBprofun, and around the 13-14'th it went away and played the rest with ease.
Well, today went back to using my arm, not disc golf, and immediately had pain.
What is this?????????????? Looked up Tennis arm and some of the symptoms dont match up. Any one experience this?
JugStomper
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Viking

Re: Elbow Pain!!!!

Postby keltik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm

It's common to injure your elbow when throwing FH. Look up pitching injuries. here I did it for you: http://www.throwinginjuries.com/elbow.htm
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JugStomper » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow, thx for the link!!!
JugStomper
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Viking

Postby RS39 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:10 am

Hard part of tendon/ligament injuries is that those parts get FAR less blood flow than muscles. This makes them take much longer to heal, and makes 'laying off a while' more important.

I use a wrap that is sort of like a tennis elbow band up front but it goes about 4" above/below the elbow to promote warmth and extra circulation there when playing.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_ ... navCount=3

Futuro Adjust to Fit Elbow Support
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby JR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 am

Stop throwing everything for as long as you don't get any pains from normal life plus a few days and try to use cold to reduce swelling and possible inflammation worsening. Don't throw forehands at all in your first throwing test and try to limit the amount of throws to under ten and stop and see if you have any pains on the next day. Swelling injuries often hurt on the next day alone. If the next day was pain free maybe a round or a half would be good but try to avoid throwing hard at first. Tendon injuries can last for months. Three month minimum with at least six months for full healing to how far you can heal which is likely to be under 100 % compared to what your condition was. That means that the more you push too early the more you're gonna get injured and the less your condition will be. Very light exercise that happens without straining the muscles a lot at all increases the blood flow and reduces the chances of getting anaerobic conditions in the tissues. That is the perfect breeding ground for all sorts of inflammations. There are always bacteria in your system to start an inflammation in an anaerobic place. Once that happens virii are hitting the tissue and you're screwed because they aren't really hampered by antibiotics. Ask me how i know and why i got a scalpel. To my throwing arm grr.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury