overhead shot induced arm injury

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

overhead shot induced arm injury

Postby turso » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03 am

Was acting a bit retarded on the local course, there's a hole I can't really reliably play with anything else than overhead shot, thumber in this case, and I hurt a muscle or muscles in my upper arm because of it. First throw gave just a small indication of pain, second gave a proper one, and third time the charm, took my arm out of action for rest of the day.

I don't think it's injured too badly, but the pain pretty much stopped me from doing anything with the arm for few hours, and for now I'm taking a few days off as it starts coming back even when backhand throwing after a couple of hours.

It's one of the supporting muscles on the inner side of the upper arm, the pain is closer to the elbow than middle part of upper arm.

The question is how can I prevent this in the future? I'm pretty sure it has to be a technique flaw or do I just have such feeble muscles there that they can't take the stress of an overhead throw?
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: overhead shot induced arm injury

Postby chainchaser » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 am

Stop by and ask the thumber man himself brian schweberger tomorrow night. Here http://live.discgolftalkradio.com
chainchaser
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Surge SS

Postby JHern » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:39 pm

As with any other throwing style, you're using too much arm strength to throw, which isn't going to help you and could result in serious injury if you don't stop. Also, this is a throw you should build up slowly, since you will need to build muscular coordination that you don't already have (unless you're an active baseball player). Start with very light plastic (e.g., Blizzard 130g). Go to a field, try throwing 100 times but only aiming to hit 100 ft. Remember, your body's stupid instinct is to put more muscle into the effort if you're not getting the distance, but it is actually the worst thing you can do. Keep your arm loose and whip it forward using the strength of your torso alone. Push off your back leg to gain forward momentum, and then push back from you plant foot to accelerate the hip turn (your back leg pushes that side of the hips forward and your plant leg pushes the other side of the hips back...this is the fundamental twist force). This should uncoil in sequence up to your shoulders...that's where all the strength lies. The rest is positioning and timing with the arm, but just remember to open the hips almost completely before the disc begins moving forward.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 am

You could also ask on www.frisbeeliitto.com forums if monster has any advice. He has plenty of experience of injuries too not just throwing over 150 meters overhead.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury