Attempting to begin disc golf, need help.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Attempting to begin disc golf, need help.

Postby mikooksaram » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:57 pm

I am an Ultimate player (not sure if that counts against me or anything...) and thought disc golf looked like fun. I'd like to get into this, but have no idea what discs to get. For that matter, I have no idea what else I would need. Could I get some suggestions?

(I'm the primary handler for my Ultimate team, so I have experience throwing, but I imagine that doesn't count for much among disc golfers.)
mikooksaram
Noob

Favorite Disc: None (Beginner)

Re: Attempting to begin disc golf, need help.

Postby JR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:54 am

Welcome. You can take the Ultra-Star to the world championships because it is approved for playing by the PDGA the governing organization of disc golf. The APX then the Rattler by Discraft are the closest matches to smaller sized fairly similarly flying discs for disc golf meaning they don't bounce out of baskets so easily. Normally disc golfers need to throw much farther and faster which means that for a right hand backhand throw you need to account for the disc flipping from hyzer to anhyzer if it is as understable as the Ultimate lids. Therefore you need something with more high speed stability. Most disc golf discs fade to the left much much harder than Ultimate discs so i would start adjusting with the straightest and slower disc golf discs such as Innova Coyote and Leopard. Then seeing as they work returning here to describe how their flight path goes and how you throw. A video would help too. Then we have data based on which we can say if there is something you need to change in your throwing technique and which kinds of discs could suite you the best. There are hundreds of different flight paths made by different discs and for growing in skills and improving scores they make a huge difference in choosing between the proper tools vs improper ones. After all golfers rarely putt with drivers too and farmers use tractors instead of Ferraris.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:18 am

mikooksaram wrote:I am an Ultimate player (not sure if that counts against me or anything...) and thought disc golf looked like fun. I'd like to get into this, but have no idea what discs to get. For that matter, I have no idea what else I would need. Could I get some suggestions?

(I'm the primary handler for my Ultimate team, so I have experience throwing, but I imagine that doesn't count for much among disc golfers.)

There are huge carryover skills from Ultimate to Disc golf. You will be superb on short upshots (compared to a beginner) but long distance drives will require relearning how to throw.

Your learning curve will be so much easier if you can find an experienced teacher and some understable drivers (a Discraft Avenger SS is a good candidate. Not an Avenger, mind you but an Avenger SS. The SS designation means it is understable and will fly straighter for you when you throw with Ultimate form).

I remember when I first tried golf discs, coming from a background of Freestyle (or more like low level playing catch in my case). I thought golf discs were useless. They all hooked sharply to the left! I could take a Whammo 165 and throw it straight for 100 feet forehand, backhand or overhand wrist flip. Why would I want a golf disc? Then I saw a Pro throw an effortless shot which went farther than a football field on a frozen rope. Oh, I realized, that's why they use golf discs.

Welcome to Disc Golf, mikooksaram. Your back and knees will thank you.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JTdisc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 am

Start off with 3 basic discs:

1. Putter (any one will do, pick what feels good. Discraft Challenger or Magnet, Innova Aviar or any other)
2. Midrange (Discraft Buzzz and Innova Roc are by far the most popular)
3. Fairway Driver (Innova Leopard, Discraft Stalker or Avenger SS like Mark suggested)

If you have a decent ultimate flick, you should have instant success with a disc golf forehand. Backhand throws will need to be re-learned a bit but shouldn't take long.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Return to General Discussion