5-disc Battle Golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 5-disc Battle Golf

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:01 pm

One interesting twist would be that the person who won a disc was required to use it for at least one throw on the next hole, potentially as a minor handicap to give the other person a chance to bounce back.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:25 pm

I was actually thinking the same thing. This gives you more strategy. If you get proficient with Optimizers then you can really mess with the other person's game. Or you could lose a hole on purpose and give them an Optimizer that they have to throw.

In general I don't like games like this where the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. If someone is winning in strokes then why should they get the benefit of an increased arsenal of discs? Here's a thought; you the winner of the previous hole gets your disc but you get to choose which disc they drive with for the upcoming hole.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Long Course:
2 Comets
1 APX
1 Surge
1 Avenger

Short Course:
3 Comets
2 APXs
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby garublador » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:13 pm

marmoset wrote:Or you could lose a hole on purpose and give them an Optimizer that they have to throw.
While funny, that wouldn't give you any sort of advantage. It would actually still be a disadvantage.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby tim » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Do you know before you select your discs who your opponent will be?

I think the discs I would pick would be based on what I thought my odds would be against my opponent, what the first few holes were, as well as other factors. If it is someone I think I am likely to be competitive against (especially in the first couple of holes), I would probably play offensively, and go with my favorite five discs:

Wizard
FLX Buzz
Champ Firebird
Champ Teebird
Star Destroyer

Because if I am likely to win the first hole or two, then having the full range of discs will give me the best chance to keep/improve my lead after I take one or two of their discs early on.

I think most people are setting themselves up, expecting to lose a few discs. That's thinking WEAK. Set up your bag so that you can park as many holes as possible and take their discs. I'm sorry, but your five-Roc setup on a lot of courses (at least the ones I most often play) may not hurt you if you lose a disc to me, but the options in my bag will mean that I have lots more birdie opportunities and am more likely to park shots that you can't reach. And keep taking your Rocs.

Most people here are thinking defense, as if they will lose, rather than offense, expecting to win.

I've never heard of this type of play before and I am anxious to try it. Sounds like a great game.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Well, you could just carry a single Devilhawk and not have to worry at all... :)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:20 pm

tim wrote:I think most people are setting themselves up, expecting to lose a few discs.

The multiples I'd have in either of my bags are for line shaping purposes. In my long course bag, I'd have my go-to Comet and this freak mutant one I have that's more stable, in case I needed a bigger hyzer. In my short course bag, I'd have those Comets plus my super straight one, and the APXs are my straight one, my flippy one and my non-soft one I'd use for bigger hyzers or headwinds.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby roadkill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Well, you could just carry a single Devilhawk and not have to worry at all... :)

The trouble is the Devilhawk goes too far. Anything under 1200' and it's just too much disc. Even when I back off it the DH goes atleast 850'.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Distance is just one of its many virtues, especially when handled by Chuck Norris. Sink all putts within 50 feet, approaches from as far away as 500 feet are under the pin and occasionally go in. At least that's what I've heard... 8)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby edrift101 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:18 pm

That actually sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to suggest it once spring rolls around, since many of the casual players I know only have 5 discs. :)

I'd go with:
SS Wizard
DX Roc
Champion Firebird
Star Teebird
Star Beast
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby Dickies » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:54 am

Soft Rhyno
DX Shark
DX Cobra
DX Firebird
Pro Wraith

That's pretty much all the discs I have. I need some new plastic since my DX drivers are getting way too understable.
Dickies
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Wraith

Postby inthedrift » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:42 am

Star Teebird (newer)
Star TL (worn in)
FLX Buzz
2x KC Pro Aviars (one worn in, one newer)
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby garublador » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:34 am

tim wrote:I think most people are setting themselves up, expecting to lose a few discs. That's thinking WEAK. Set up your bag so that you can park as many holes as possible and take their discs. I'm sorry, but your five-Roc setup on a lot of courses (at least the ones I most often play) may not hurt you if you lose a disc to me, but the options in my bag will mean that I have lots more birdie opportunities and am more likely to park shots that you can't reach. And keep taking your Rocs.

Most people here are thinking defense, as if they will lose, rather than offense, expecting to win.
You have an excellet point. If your opponent isn't prone to bogies you'll have to play agressively, but smart to win. Playing conservatively won't work unless your opponent screws up. However, if you shank one drive early on and your opponent takes the disc that you need to get back into it on the next hole that can snowball quickly. IMO, a combination of playing offensively and defensively is the best, assuming you have the skills to pull it off.

I'll make justifications for the discs I picked.

2 Wizards - most used disc on the course. If there's a disc that will keep the pressure on, get me out of trouble, or hit that extra putt it's this one. Loosing it would limit my approaching and putting options and those are the two shots used the most on the course.

1 Roc - not as good as the Wizard for putts and approaches, but you can do a lot worse. There are a lot of holes that can be parked with a Roc.

1 Gazelle - not good for appraches and putts, but can take the place of the Roc for a lot of the driving duties. It also covers the most ground, literally, of any other disc I throw. It can be backed off of for shorter drives, handles everything from hyzer to anhyzer and all 'S' shots between and can be cranked on for high, distance shots that get to 80% of my potential distance.

1 Spirit - secret weapon. Not many pepole know how useful of a disc a very overstable driver is in the right hands. You can get Wizard to Roc distances on hyzers and Gazelle distances on anhyzers (assuming you have the room). You don't even need more than a mediocre sidearm throw to get a 200' right hooking shot. You can go over stuff with spike hyzers and under stuff with skip shots. This disc turns a 250' shot into a gimme deuce no matter what the wind.

That gives 2 excellent and 1 OK putt and approach discs, 3 midrange length drivers, 2 fairway length (or longer depending on your skills) drivers, 1 really good headwind driver and 2 OK headwind drivers.

IMO, unless you know the course really well (there has to be a hole that you can reach with the distance driver in one shot, but not with anything else) and are looking to get an early lead or know your opponent really well, it's hard to justify a distance driver that will probably see limited use. Distance drivers are one trick pony discs, and when disc selection is limited, it doesn't seem as good of an idea to carry discs that have limited use unless you're sure that use will give you a definite advantage.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby pointdisc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:51 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Well, you could just carry a single Devilhawk and not have to worry at all... :)

Too bad I have the only Devilhawk known to man. It's death count is in the hundreds as I don't throw it. I have others "try it out" for my throws...

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby jytwhite » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:59 am

5 Impacts
YT

EATME
Engineering and Architectural Tulsa Metro Employees Disc Golf Club

Trade List
jytwhite
Noob