5-disc Battle Golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 5-disc Battle Golf

Postby tim » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:20 pm

garublador wrote:IMO, unless you know the course really well (there has to be a hole that you can reach with the distance driver in one shot, but not with anything else) and are looking to get an early lead or know your opponent really well, it's hard to justify a distance driver that will probably see limited use. Distance drivers are one trick pony discs, and when disc selection is limited, it doesn't seem as good of an idea to carry discs that have limited use unless you're sure that use will give you a definite advantage.

See, I think even distance drivers can be useful for a wide variety of shots. Thrown with less than max power, most distance drivers become pretty predictable as overstable discs, and can be thrown on short, sweeping, hyzer lines and S-lines for shorter holes; as well as thrown as spike-hyzers or scoobered/thumbered/hammered for approach shots. If you're going to putt with a distance driver, loft it anhyzer, right of the basket, and let it flip hyzer and drop in. I find even distance discs like the Destroyer/Force/XCal/Wraith/Orc to be pretty predictable on a wide variety of shots, if you've practiced with them. And if the helix-loft putt doesn't work for you, you can always putt them upside down -- they drop fast, but putt straight that way.

I think when people have the time in practice rounds, they should throw their primary discs on a lot of different lines to see how they fly. My old roommate and I used to play two or three disc rounds where would keep a score for each disc and throw every disc on every shot. Or rounds where we would keep separate forehand throw vs. backhand throw scores. Or rounds almost like Horse where one player would call a line and both players had to follow it (super-spike hyzer over trees, or sweeping flick anhyzer, or roller through the gap, or whatever). With enough practice throwing funky shots with a lot of different discs, a 5-disc bag becomes much more versatile, no matter what discs are in it.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Marauder » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:33 am

sounds like fun ! I'd like to play this at my local course sometime with a round of buddies.
I'd go with
2 KC Pro Aviars ( backup )
2 KC Rocs ( I can putt with those too if I have to but can also throw them pretty far as well.)
Star TL ( just a predictable driver that will go where I want it to. It doesn't travel as far as my Star Destroyer but pretty damn close. )

Hey Tim,

I'll have to try out horse too with different disc that I don't normally use. I don't know why I never thought of that. Thanks.
Marauder
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Amp

Postby DPJ88 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 am

I would have to choose:

1 - X Challenger
1 - FLX Challenger
2 - Z buzzz
1 - Z Xpress max weight

I figure, the Xpress is my most versatile driver, I am able to hit most lines with it, as long as it isn't super windy. I would still pick my max weight Xpress to reduce the wind play as much as possible.
the buzzz can handle most midrange lines and I can get some distance out of them if I lose my driver. no prob.
and my X challenger primarily for putting, the FLX for drives, upshots, etc.
Last edited by DPJ88 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:29 am

3 Wizards
2 Slightly beat Rocs

This bag for me I would use because I will never lose a putter, and if I lose both of my Rocs (will take a while since there are two of them) I can always drive 350'+ with my putters...hehe

This bag keeps the chance of me losing something to a halt unless I lose a lot. I don't want to bring out ONE driver because I would lose that for sure. But if it were a long course I would bring:

1 Wizards
4 Champion Teebirds

Drivers make the best putters anyways right? hehe
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby gremlin75 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:30 am

My home course

5 ESP comets!

If it were a longer course

2 X XL's
3 ESP Comets

Yeah know, no putter is bad, but I have no issue putting with a comet in a game like this.
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:36 am

gremlin75 wrote:Yeah know, no putter is bad, but I have no issue putting with a comet in a game like this.

Better to have a couple molds than 5 molds!

I would be comfy putting with anything in a game like that. That game sounds awesomely fun especially if your winning.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby garublador » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:42 am

masterbeato wrote:
gremlin75 wrote:Yeah know, no putter is bad, but I have no issue putting with a comet in a game like this.

Better to have a couple molds than 5 molds!

I would be comfy putting with anything in a game like that. That game sounds awesomely fun especially if your winning.
It's not the putting I'd be worried about, it's the approaching.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby swan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:49 am

My home course is short and pretty tight, so I'd go

3 SS Wizards
1 ESP Buzzz
1 Star Leo

On a longer course it would be

2 SS Wizards
1 ESP Buzzz
1 Champ Viking (I'm in the fairway. Where are you?)
1 Pro Destroyer

This is a great game. It's awesome to leave your opponent with his longest disc and watch him try to score from 150 and in. FINISH HIM!!!
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.
swan
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Approaching is the only part of the game I find the most simple.

I don't know why. In the last couple years I rarely ever mess up an approach no matter what disc it is. It's strange. I always mess up a putt so it doesn't matter what I putt with I will still suck.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby gremlin75 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:14 pm

garublador wrote:It's not the putting I'd be worried about, it's the approaching.

True but the comets understable enough where Id be comfortable approaching with it as well (honestly I usually do in a normal game). The comes usually doesnt skip any more then my challengers, Just have to be careful how hard you throw it or it will glide right past the basket :shock:
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby garublador » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 pm

gremlin75 wrote:Just have to be careful how hard you throw it or it will glide right past the basket :shock:
That's what I'm actually talking about. The extra skip you get is no big deal. The difficulty with range control at 100'-200' is what I'm not comfortable with. It's one thing having to putt with a non putter from 20', but if it's that much more difficult to get within 20' on longer approaches it can cause extra bogies and fewer disc choices.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby tim » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:08 pm

garublador wrote:
gremlin75 wrote:Just have to be careful how hard you throw it or it will glide right past the basket :shock:
That's what I'm actually talking about. The extra skip you get is no big deal. The difficulty with range control at 100'-200' is what I'm not comfortable with. It's one thing having to putt with a non putter from 20', but if it's that much more difficult to get within 20' on longer approaches it can cause extra bogies and fewer disc choices.

This is where you get to practice different shots with your discs. Hammers, Thumbers, Scoobers and other UD throws can be sickly accurate as approach shots (and if kept low, are often less affected by the wind than other shots). If you lose your putters and mids, start arcing your pred/firebird/teebird/orc/banshee/whippet on some UD lines. You can plan the side-to-side movement in the air to split whatever gaps you have and learn some sick get-out-of-trouble throws for your regular rounds. This is a great way to force you to throw some crazy stuff (and drive your friends nuts when they've taken your Rocs and Wizards and yet you park one from 160' out in the woods with your Destroyer to take your putter back).
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:12 pm

garublador wrote:

If I was left with only a driver to approach with from those distances it would probably be all spike hyzers or overhand shots.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby RustyP » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:56 pm

My home course is short and open (birdie-fest), so probably:
2 Medium Wizards
2 Ching Rocs (on the newer side)
1 Champ Orc (for the few 400'+ holes)

I'd probably use the same set-up for most other course, unless its got a ton of long (400'+) holes, then I'd most likely take out a Wizard and add another Orc (I can putt alright with a Roc if needed).
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby tushamajig13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:31 am

5 identical Wizards...done...i played some putter only rounds this summer and found my scores within 3 on average of my usual scores with a full bag, and i was never more than 5' off the fairways...i can just control them so much better...those longer holes would be tough but if im playing against my friends, i think i have a pretty good shot
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion