Disc Repair!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Repair!

Postby Texas Made » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:01 am

You guys ever get lost discs back that have spent months in the bottom of a pond or stream? I had a Leopard that I was really fond of, it was just one of those magic discs you know?
I threw a tee bird into the river a couple of days ago and while I was looking for it in the water - it wasnt deep (I did eventually find this one as well) I found the Leopard that I drowned 5 months prior. It had been sitting upside down in the mud for that long caving in the top horribly. After tossing the now deformed disk a couple of times I realized the flight pattern was crappy and no where near the same. after it sat around for a couple of days I got brave and tried something- If you put your home oven on Broil at 350 degrees, leave the oven door OPEN, take a piece of wood/plywood - Dont use metal, Im pretty sure it will stick. (I used a cutting board) set the disk on the wood with the dome side down and the rim up. Put the wood with the disc on it into the oven for no more than 12 seconds. Take the disk out promptly, and set it on something super flat with the dome up, rimside down, and allow it to cool. Like majic, once the disc cools it returns to its previous shape. This only works on pro or champion plastic. I dont really throw discraft, but I imagine that this will work for those as well. Now whenever I find caved in discs I can repair them to trade, sell, or throw, whatever. give it a try! :shock:
Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:20 am

hey man,

interesting repair method. If it works...great!

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby superq » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:54 am

I know of at least one OLD School PRO that used to work at a pizza joint, he would heat his plastic in the dishwasher, then stack them either dome up or down depending if he wanted more or less stable and stack them in the walk in freezer for 6-8 hours, talk about making a brand new cyclone fly like a Z Flick...
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:10 am

Another thing you can do is pour very hot (boiling?) water in the disc and let it sit for 15 min or so; I'm told this returns the disc to its intended flight pattern.

I try to avoid this as it seems like altering the stability of the disc hence cheating.

In general, heat the disc (any means you want) then either let it sit face up or face down to make it more or less stable.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion