Disc Speed

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Speed

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 am

I would like to begin a discussion of disc speed even though I'm sure there are articles about it, so I will ask some questions to encourage said discussion.

How does speed affect disc selection? When should a faster disc be thrown (rather in what situations)?

Without reading the disc ratings, how do y'all tell a disc is faster? For example, I didn't notice that a tracker was about as fast as an avenger initially; someone had to point it out to me.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:51 am

I would say that faster discs are better for long D low ceiling shots. I can get by Beast out a lot farther with 10 feet of height than my Teebird. If you have the arm for it, faster discs are also better for open long D shots when placement isn't as important. I think this comes down to the adage that slower discs are more accurate.

I can see a little difference between a Teebird and an Avenger, but just barely. I rely on people like Blake to say which one is faster, and by how much.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:32 pm

faster discs are longer on lower trajectories.
faster discs are more nose angle sensitive, slightly nose up it will fade very early.
faster discs generally are faster due to rim width and some faster due to rim height.
faster discs are more likely to hide tecnique flaws
the faster the disc the harder it is to reach the cruise speed, causing fast discs to fly more overstable for people who cant reach the cruise speed, and less consistant to people who cant reach the cruise speed consistantly.

slower discs are generally more controlable.
slower discs are capable of being mroe versitle, while faster discs are more specialized.

Im sure theres alot more that is missing and could be expanded on
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:50 pm

i always throw the slowest thing that can get there without using more than like 60 percent power (taking ceiling heigth into account as well as dirty was sayin)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:06 pm

lock-off wrote:i always throw the slowest thing that can get there without using more than like 60 percent power (taking ceiling heigth into account as well as dirty was sayin)

Very nice stuff fellas! The general rule I believe is to throw the slowest disc you can get there with. Putter -->mid-->slow fairway driver-->then fast driver.

I was just curious when it would be a good idea to choose say a tracker over a cyclone (both are pretty straight to me)?

So, if I'm understanding you guys, if I have a low ceiling throw a faster disc?

One point that didn't come out: I remember one of Blake's article talking about discing down when playing wooded courses.

Kid, I know what you mean about reaching cruising speed; I am yet to reach it with an Illusion and I guess a tee rex as well.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:42 pm

discing down for wooded courses is a good idea because on a wooded course hitting the hole is more important than getting the distance, and idealy you should have more control by discing down.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby zealot » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:59 pm

note: i will throw the slowest thing that can get there, but say there is low ceiling AND an exact line i have to follow i would rather follow my line shorter than drilling a tree with a disc thats too fast for me to be accurate with. i hope that explains what you were missin'..
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:35 pm

I think we got what you were saying ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

disc speed

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:31 pm

I usually stray toward faster discs just because I play in wind more often than not. A wraith or orc will cut through a head or side wind far better than a teebird or avenger. I also favor faster discs for uphill shots. They just seem to get farther up the hill than slower models.

In calm or downwind conditions, a slower disc will work more efficiently.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby zealot » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:48 pm

(dirty i was talkin to outlaw :o i know you got it)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:49 am

lock-off wrote:(dirty i was talkin to outlaw :o i know you got it)

I'm not that slow....

Twm, that was going to be my next question. How does speed come to play with wind? Sounds like you are saying that a faster disc is a better choice for a head wind.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:43 pm

i would say more stable is more important in the wind, terry will disagree but I dont think the flick makes that good of a headwind driver (it is very long, but not too predictable)
The flick is speed overstable which you know means its overstable because speed, not mold. throwing into the wind simulates throwing a disc much faster than youre capable of. I think a teebird (newer dx or champ) will tear up a headwind quite well, beacuse its truely stable, while lets say a wraith will flip into a headwind even if you cant flip it without the wind.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:30 pm

discs with rim stablizers; a notch on the end of the wing (like an eagle), a steep slope on the inside of the rim (like a firebird), or a bead (like a roc) are the most predictable in headwinds.
these are discs that flip to a point... then hold the line.
something like a starfire-L, or a wraith (and almost all the other newer drivers)... keep flipping till the low speed fade kicks in. if there's a headwind this can mean they'll just keep flipping till they hit the ground or roll.

something to keep in mind. it's not just about throwing overstable fast plastic in the wind. it's also about throwing stuff that won't flip too much.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

discs

Postby twmccoy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:02 pm

Any disc can be predictable. It's the arm throwing it that tends to be unpredictable. That said, I would take a flick or a star wraith into a headwind over just about anything out there. All you need is the right release angle. A teebird (especially champion) does tend to hold a good line into most headwinds, but will lose considerable distance due to wind resistance.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 am

I agree it is the indian not the arrow, however if the indian makes a mistake, the straighter his arrow was to begin w/ the less he will pay for his mistake.

If youre throwing a disc that even when thrown smoothly has a tendancy to turn, it will turn even more in a headwind.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Next

Return to General Discussion