Disc Snatchers Need to Die!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Snatchers Need to Die!

Postby Expo_Bill » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:21 pm

Damn, was out today, nobody else in sight anywhere. Threw 4 practice throws off #1 tee at Badlands (Denver) then a drive. The shot is off the top of the hill and you can't see the landing zone over the curvature of the ground. As I'm walking down to my discs I see a good sized bearded guy coming up the path that cuts through the fairway. He's got a disc in 1 hand and a dog in the other. I think nothing of it and pick up my first 3 discs. The other 2 are nowhere to be found. This is in the middle of a grassy park, no place to lose one. I turn around and go up the hill to look for the guy and find 1 of my discs lying on the #3 tee pad but my beautiful new ESP Surge (2nd place prize in my first tournament) with my name and number and even stats from the tourney written all over it is nowhere to be found and neither is the butthole who took it. That is just plain low. There, I've had my say now I'm gonna go practice! :) Happy flying!
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

Postby The Euphoric Nightmare » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Just coat your discs with mercury.

Then all those that are taken will slowly poison the theif.

Oh yea, you might also wanna start wearing surgical gloves when tossing these discs. :wink:
The Euphoric Nightmare
Tree Magnet

disc stealing

Postby twmccoy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:58 pm

You really have to watch your discs carefully. Don't be afraid to confront people if you think they have taken your disc. Limit your practice throws on holes you can't see the landing area on.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: disc stealing

Postby daevidcardiac » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:02 am

twmccoy wrote:Don't be afraid to confront people if you think they have taken your disc.

thats very important...even if it backfires its best to know for sure
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 am

wow, badlands is one of the only places I didnt worry about that sort of thing too much. I wonder why he would have left you w/ the one disc , mabey he felt bad because it appeared to have more sentimental value?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Expo_Bill » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Nope, this one was my 2nd place prize from my first (and only so far) tournament and it has the tournament date, place, score, etc, all listed on the back along with my name and number. Pretty damn clear it's personally special. Oh well, karma will make him pay.
Expo_Bill
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:22 pm

Bad break man. It happens to everyone. It all comes around though. When I lose a disc and then fine that someone has it, I always make sure I let them know it's my disc but don't make a bad deal out of it.

Here's the Karma though: In almost every case, I have found one of their discs (our community is small enough that we know each other's discs) and am presented with a moral dilemma... Return it knowing they carry one of my discs? or no?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Don't know about this one.

Postby trogdor » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:56 am

From reading the descripton, the only thing you know about the guy walking up the hill is that he found a disc in the middle of a park, picked up 1 disc(that's how many you saw in the guy's hand) did not see anyone who might own it (you did not see him pick up the disc and "nobody else in sight anywhere") and dropped it off at a teepad.

I've lost as many discs off tee 1 at badlands as anywhere. Throw multiple discs (very tempting on this extreme downhill) and you can easily lose track of one. Flip the disc anhyzer and it can go in the middle of that marsh between the hole for 1 and the tee for 2. Flip it anhyzer and get a solid ride and you can be in the creek or the small pond behind the #2 teepad. Throw over the hill without looking first and you can hit someone or get close enough to p!$$ them off. ALWAYS take the 15 steps to peak over the hill to make sure no one is in the landing zone (which includes a sidewalk on this particular hole.)

It's frustrating having a disc picked up. Because DG courses are often in multi-use parks, discs are sometimes "returned" to you by a person who doesn't know what Disc Golf is. I've had a disc picked up at the pin for #2 and thrown down the hill by a teenager at Badlands. It sucked, but either he didn't know that I threw it or he was just being dumb. At any rate, I headed down the hill and retrieved my disc, came to my approximate lie and completed the hole. No big loss.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:12 pm

In many cases, non dg'rs do not understand that we get attached to our plastic. I've talked to a few people that are known disc snatchers, and they say things like, " it's just a 7 dollar disc from academy, what's the big deal," not understanding that it may have special meaning to us or even be some special edition hydracolor something or other.

Still some people just want things because they are free. Try walking in the mall and yelling, " anyone want a free..." and trail off.

People will line up and ask if they can have 2. Then, finish your sentence, "....clump of dirt."
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby trogdor » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:35 pm

A great phrase to confront someone non-confrontationally is "Hey, did you see where my blue teebird landed?"

"Oh, that's yours? I thought it was lost..."

You don't have to believe them, but at least you usually get your disc back.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:09 pm

trogdor wrote:A great phrase to confront someone non-confrontationally is "Hey, did you see where my blue teebird landed?"

"Oh, that's yours? I thought it was lost..."

You don't have to believe them, but at least you usually get your disc back.

Let's not forget about those that do make an effort to return your discs. It is unfortunate that some would take it, but many do return them or give it to you for you to find the owner.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Don't know about this one.

Postby Expo_Bill » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:57 pm

trogdor wrote:From reading the descripton, the only thing you know about the guy walking up the hill is that he found a disc in the middle of a park, picked up 1 disc(that's how many you saw in the guy's hand) did not see anyone who might own it (you did not see him pick up the disc and "nobody else in sight anywhere") and dropped it off at a teepad.

I've lost as many discs off tee 1 at badlands as anywhere. Throw multiple discs (very tempting on this extreme downhill) and you can easily lose track of one. Flip the disc anhyzer and it can go in the middle of that marsh between the hole for 1 and the tee for 2. Flip it anhyzer and get a solid ride and you can be in the creek or the small pond behind the #2 teepad. Throw over the hill without looking first and you can hit someone or get close enough to p!$$ them off. ALWAYS take the 15 steps to peak over the hill to make sure no one is in the landing zone (which includes a sidewalk on this particular hole.)

It's frustrating having a disc picked up. Because DG courses are often in multi-use parks, discs are sometimes "returned" to you by a person who doesn't know what Disc Golf is. I've had a disc picked up at the pin for #2 and thrown down the hill by a teenager at Badlands. It sucked, but either he didn't know that I threw it or he was just being dumb. At any rate, I headed down the hill and retrieved my disc, came to my approximate lie and completed the hole. No big loss.

:D Wow, you can throw it a lot further than I can! This particular throw wasn't particularly good and took a big hyser left, should have been someplace uphill and to the left of the path, no chance at all it hit the creek, etc. I'd be thrilled to lose one that way! I did check over the hill before I started and this person must have come around the path while I was throwing. Maybe I should have checked again but there wasn't a soul around. If I did come close to him, why take one disc, leave the other and say nothing? I'd have certainly been ready and willing to apologize if I almost hit someone. Very weird and, if it wasn't clearly marked as a 2nd place prize from a tournament, complete with score, date, name and phone #, no big deal. Oh well, just look out for an overweight guy with a beard when you're at Badlands. Might've spotted him the other day, playing the course, but didn't want to hassle some innocent over a disc. It's not like I haven't found lots of them. I was just hoping to stir things up enough to get that particular disc back.
Thanks for all the kind words. :)
Expo_Bill
Noob

Re: Don't know about this one.

Postby trogdor » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Expo_Bill wrote: I'd be thrilled to lose one that way!

I've lost 2 that way when the pin is behind the creek. One last winter. I could see the disc sitting on the very thin sheet of ice right in the middle of that small pond. Ugh.

It was thrilling on the release (Oooo, I got all of that one)

Then the realization that it's accelerating because of the downhill and won't come out of the turn... (I'm going to have to search for the *&*%$ thing in the marsh)

Then the realization that it's carrying close to the pond...

Splash! or Skip...slide....on....the...ice....but .....only.....to.......the....center.

Thrilling? yes (Huge throw for me)
Bummer? yes (especially seeing it sitting there in the middle of the pond)

Glad to hear you have the phone# on this disc. I'd say 80% of the discs that have been returned to me I lost at Badlands. Seems the people that play there call!
trogdor
Tree Magnet

badlands

Postby twmccoy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 pm

I have found discs in that small pond by 1 before. Last winter I probably pulled 15-20 out of there.

BTW Bill I did see a guy with a beard playing disc golf saturday, but he is a regular there and is not fat. I doubt he is the guy who stole your disc.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Rooster » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:15 pm

kinda of a similar story. my group had teed off and we decided to let a group of casuals play through. we told them there were discs out there and not to touch em. they finish and we walk to our disc and mine is gone. they make the turn and walk by us. i see my disc in his hand and ask him what the disc says under it and obviously he starts reading it and i finish it for him and tell him thats my disc. he says to me "i didn't think it was your becuase it was so far...."
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to General Discussion