Different Style Discs

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Different Style Discs

Postby plshrk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:09 pm

Alright I started playing Disc Golf like 6 months ago. I have a limited selection of discs. I have 1 Champ Beast, and 4 Orcs haha. I have a 162 Orc that I love. That thing just glides forever. My girlfriend went crazy with the Orcs. They are all Champs also. I started throwing with a Champ Orc and have always. I am just now starting to use my Mid Range for shorter holes. I use a Buzz GT First Run but I am not very impressed. I just ordered a Buzz Z and we will see how that works out. I also put with a Wizard (Soft). Right now I have a strong 350' drive and I just feel that I could get more out of it. I would like to try different discs I just have no idea what to try. I have stuck to Innova for drivers... Sorry if this is a "Newb" question :D Thanks in advance!
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: LandSharkSports.com

Postby zealot » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 pm

if you can really throw 350 with consistency i would try a pro wraith. you should get an extra 30 ft. (use it for open holes)

also i might suggest a star tl for accuracy at 300-330 ft
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Thanks

Postby plshrk » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Yeh see my buddy who actually taught me was always talking up the Champs so I right away thought that the DX was not so good but I am now feeling differently.
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:42 am

dx is good to learn on b/c it has the best grip and they will teach you how a disc wears in. premium plastics can be a bit harder to release right and they wear real slow. check out the articles on this site, they'll help you.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

new discs

Postby twmccoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:57 pm

I'd recommend a pro starfire about 170g. This disc seems to maximize distance and will most likely turn your 350' into 375'. If you really want to go nuts, try a sidewinder. Be prepared though, this disc is understable. It will outfly just about everything out there though. Your 350' drive with an orc could turn into 400' with a sidewinder.

As for midranges, the Z buzz is a good choice.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Thanks

Postby plshrk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Yeh I actually just ordered a Z Buzz and a 2nd Wizard Putter. I couldnt wait though so I went out and looked for a Buzz but we were sold out here in Idaho. I actually bought a Wasp because I have heard good things about them also. So we will try it out. I havent gotten a chance to get out yet today. The gf thinks I have been playing to much :lol:
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:25 pm

Sounds like you're ready for a pro wraith and an avenger ( to see which you prefer). As for the buzz, I carry a pro D and a z. Some people love them some people don't. You may want to try a roc if you don't like buzz. The roc is a solid disc; I like the buzz better mainly because it doen't require as much height as a roc for similar distance.

I like throwing straight shots, not having to use a distance line to achieve great distance.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Thanks

Postby plshrk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:39 pm

Yeh I threw a Star Wraith I think it was. Wow I threw it once and it was not pretty haha... Whole different deal with that disc. So a pro wraith I should try? But I really like my Orcs. I have 3 I Dye Orcs :cry:
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Thanks

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:59 am

plshrk wrote:The gf thinks I have been playing to much :lol:

That feeling seems to be pretty common among men and their hobbies, especially when hobby crosses into passion... My ex thought I played too much...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:47 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:My ex thought I played too much...
Heh... I don't know if I would chose DG over a gf at times... we'll find out when i get into a relationship. Luckily(?) college isn't the most conducive environment to relationships
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:45 am

Weebl wrote: college isn't the most conducive environment to relationships

thats more the reason were not togeather, and who said I had a choice? ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:54 am

Teach them to play and you can have both.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion