Looking to Broaden my Horizons

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking to Broaden my Horizons

Postby plshrk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Alright let me give you guys some insight on what I throw currently. Right now I am a primary Champ Orc and Buzz thrower. I can throw my 168 Orc consistently 325' sometimes 350'. I also bust out my Champ Beast and sometimes it does me well but sometimes not haha. I feel that I have more potential distance wise..It seems to me I hear more good things about Discraft than Innova as far as drivers go. I want to give a Discraft Driver a chance I just need to know what kind of Disc I should look at. Thanks!
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: LandSharkSports.com

Postby Weebl » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 pm

DX Gazelle.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zealot » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:33 am

yes.

or

DX Teebird :D
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:59 am

Going with the slower driver theme the other two have started, but sticking with Discraft, I'd say to check out a D Cyclone. If you want to try something faster, too, I like the X Avenger.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:13 am

X Avengers are sweeeet.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby superq » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:31 am

INFERNO
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Yeh

Postby plshrk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 am

Yes I wanted to look into Discraft and not Innova just to try them out for drivers.
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:17 am

Avengers are nice (does anyone else notice a huge difference between the Z and other plastics? The only Z I have thrown was a lawn dart.)
I also really like the Wildcat. The flash can give you some great distance too, but they seem to very alot from disc/run to disc/run.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby presidio hills » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:37 am

i think if you want big D going to a dx something or another would be a good move... a dx valkrie. maybe a pro wraith (since the dx beat in really quick?).

i think a z flash is probably what you're asking for, though... it's a good premium plastic distance driver, similar to a beast but it should be more consistent. but as someone said, they vary run to run. also, an X plastic XL is a great hyzer flip disc... not too fast but they go really far with little effort for people in your range.

a d cyclone would be a good driver to compliment your bag, too, as someone said. it's a versatile control driver. the gazelle is same. you'll be suprised how far you can throw a disc like this, too, once you figure them out.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:03 am

Glock23 wrote:Avengers are nice (does anyone else notice a huge difference between the Z and other plastics? The only Z I have thrown was a lawn dart.)

I noticed the same thing but I like it. You don't have to worry about your new Avenger losing it's edge too quickly since you have one that's more durable and more overstable.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:11 am

Some discraft drivers I have liked and would be suitable to your power level:

Avenger-X
XS-X or Z
XL-X or Z
Wildcat-X
Cyclone-D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Thanks

Postby plshrk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 am

So a DX Gazelle, D Cyclone, Z Avenger?? Any of those 3?
plshrk
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Thanks

Postby krusen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:35 am

plshrk wrote:So a DX Gazelle, D Cyclone, Z Avenger?? Any of those 3?

If you really want to become a better golfer opt for a Gazelle or a Cyclone. Learning to throw slower plastic will get your Orcs out there further.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby tchamber » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 am

I am constantly blown away by my XSs. I have them in both x and z plastic, and they have an ideal flight pattern (similar to the teebird I believe). They're great for hyzer-flips, long turnover drives, and the Z-plastic will even give a pretty nice S-curve.

I'd very highly recommend them. It's a great place to start to learn how to use different distance lines on your drives. I throw mine 300-330 very consistently, and have seen other people really bomb them.

The X plastic is also WAY more durable the innova's DX. I launched a drive today and just as the disc started to flex out it tagged a tree dead center. I could see the disc almost fold in half. When I got up to it though, there wasn't even a mark on it. I was blown away, the next tee when I threw it, the flight path had hardly changed at all.

I can't recommend this disc enough.

If you want something more overstable, you could always try the Avenger (more controllable in X plastic), but I think the XS is way more versitile.
tchamber
Noob

Postby Glock23 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:59 am

I actually just listed a bunch of Discraft drivers on ebay last night. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgabenash You could probably pick them up cheap, as I started them at .01 with no reserve.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Next

Return to General Discussion