Almost my first ace

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Almost my first ace

Postby tchamber » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:44 am

Got out for an early round today and nearly aced hole 8. It's about 220 with a line of wide pine trees from the tee to the basket. Typically both the hyzer and anhyzer lines are open, and I take the hyzer line.

But today there was a downed branch on one of the front trees, right side, so I had to throw at it annie. The anhyzer line is really sharp, so I tossed my Stingray (which almost never gets used) with a tiny bit of anhyzer on it.

To my suprise, it held the perfect line, and as it sailed around the corner I heard "CLANG!!" The bastard drilled the basket. Two inches higher and I would have hit chains.

Talk about bitter-sweet... Damn.
tchamber
Noob

Postby swel304 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:56 am

I shot about a 276 downhill left to right through thick trees the other day and hit the chains dead center but it had too much rotation and spun out..... would have been my first too. Ive never been so happy and mad at the same time lol.

this is the hole though you cant see the basket in the pic
http://www.huntingtondiscgolf.com/pic.p ... otary7.jpg
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Raveen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:10 pm

I've never gotten an ace, but this summer I have nailed two basket catches right on. Like you said bitter sweet. CLANG is good to hear but wish it was CHING
Raveen
Noob

Postby Terrence » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:21 pm

At least CLANG means the disc probably sat nicely under the basket. Ever have a TINK ace run? There's a short downhill in the woodeded course with a sharp downhill behind the basket to teh left. I skipped off the top of the basket and was staring at 80-90' comeback shot. It's all good though, I hit three aces this season :twisted:
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:52 am

i finished a round (badlands hole 18 ) once, one stroke behind the leader, I have the advantage, it was in a closer position but it is still 360' UPHILL (steep) throw a big hyzer up the hill, skip off the top of the discrapper and land at least 30 away perpendicular. guy a stroke ahead of me got half way up the hill. trying to pick up that stroke I had the no low putt mentality skipped my putt off the top... lets just say, I didnt lose a stoke, and noone lit up the hole... oh well. I would have loved a clang ...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby redspexxx » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:08 am

13th hole on my local course, short and narrow, i tried to hookthumb, it came out too upside down, but got an awsome skip from the dome,the disc got completely vertical and then proceded to blow stright through the chains...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Terrence » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:57 am

redspexxx wrote:13th hole on my local course, short and narrow, i tried to hookthumb, it came out too upside down, but got an awsome skip from the dome,the disc got completely vertical and then proceded to blow stright through the chains...

My brother did that too! He was all pissed off and he threw a Beast overhand as hard as he could. He's also a baseball pitcher so he can hurl a baseball 85 MPH. The disc corkscrewed 8 feet over the path and slammed through the chains 228ft away. I never knew lines like that were possible on a narrow tunnel shot.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby chris86wm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 pm

Although CHANG my be a bitter sweet sound, it is nothing compared to the "CHING..........PLOP" that your disc makes when it hits the chains on a drive and bounces out!
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby koronin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:58 pm

yeah, been there a few times. My best attempt was a throw that didn't even count, was throwing a new driver after my drive as a practice shot and hit the yellow band at the top of the target, a near perfect straight shot.

Didn't get my ace, but I'm using a new fairway driver now :)

I've had a few chain brushes and a couple of TINKs from hitting the pole and had yet another 2-3 shots soft land just under the basket for the drop-in bird.
koronin
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion