Tournametns

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tournametns

Postby vonDrehle » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:32 pm

I was just wondering if there was any difference in intermedia players between tiers. There are 2 A tier tournaments relativly close to me coming up and I don't want to play in them and end up dead last. I placed 9th out of 22 in a B tier event I played in.

Thanks
Chris
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Favorite Disc: River

Re: Tournametns

Postby Fritz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:17 pm

vonDrehle wrote:I was just wondering if there was any difference in intermedia players between tiers. There are 2 A tier tournaments relativly close to me coming up and I don't want to play in them and end up dead last. I placed 9th out of 22 in a B tier event I played in.

Thanks
Chris

Yes and No.

A-tiers bring more people so the pool of players in each division is going to be greater. Also A-tiers bring out the baggers who like to think they are kewl cause they win everytime in the division and take all the plastic.

Overall, A-tier tournaments are well worth the price and play time. Plus they yeild more points for your rating.
So it's really a crap shoot when you try to gauge the play ability/skill of hte players in the division.

I'd definately play Interm. in those A-tiers.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby presidio hills » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:16 pm

as far as i've experienced if you play well in an amateur division you'll place high. i had a buddy who never plays tourneys just kill it in the am 1 at the sf safari (one of the biggest norcal tourneys) scoring better than most of the pros in the first round. he slid back a bit, but he could've kept it up... why not?
i experieced something similar in the AM2. it wasn't an A-tier but seriously, minus the stupid mistakes and bad drives i'd have been playing "pro level" golf... i wouldn't be intimidated at all playing an A-tier. i think i know it's all up to me now. baggers beware ;) some kid throwing 100' shorter but not making any mistakes will win every time.
go for it dude. what've you got to lose? it's all a learning experience.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby vonDrehle » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks fellas. I've signed up for 2 A tier tournaments now. Sneaky Pete in Burlington and the Charlotte Open.
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Favorite Disc: River

Postby Fritz » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:31 pm

vonDrehle wrote:Thanks fellas. I've signed up for 2 A tier tournaments now. Sneaky Pete in Burlington and the Charlotte Open.

Heard that Charlotte Open is a really fun tournament. I'd love to get out east some time and play it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Return to General Discussion