Aces

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Weebl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:36 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:hyzers (especially the knife variety) are great for ace runs that dont go to far past the pin too.

That's what I do for the shot, more control for me than a thumber toping out 40' above you only to travel 140' horizontally so it will come down and sit. Sidearm knife hyzer.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:58 pm

Saw a sweet putter ace down a 20ft wide tree tunnel at 268 on flat ground yesterday.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Discoman wrote:Pin is on the right side of the mesa. I like the thumber cause they come down so straight, and they give you a huge window ie. nothing to hit but dirt or chains :D

That is a good ace, and I wasnt saying that its the wrong hole for the thumber, I was just saying hyzers are another way of running at the ace w/ o much of a fly by.

Congrats, Im waiting for my next one, It seems to be close, the chains just keep spitting out my most valiant attempts ;-).
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Discoman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:00 pm

no worries, I was just thinking about the hole and weather I could see other shots working there. Since I haven't learned to knife Hyzer yet, I can't really see the shot. On this particular hole there is infinite space on the left, and less on the right, so the thumber works better for me, plus I have a better thumber than a two finger. I really enjoy your posts, always learn somthing, any advice is welcome!
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:27 pm

thumbers are the backhanders best friend, they track just lightly enough in the oppisite direction of the fade (so I can apply to LHBH and RHBH) Making some trouble holes much more predictable.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby kvanorsdel » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:09 pm

Just got my first ACE today #3 in Baraboo, WI 250 ft
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mothrows » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:17 pm

Wow! Congratulations, which "fairway" did you use? :)
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Ace!

Postby Frank Sacco » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:56 am

I don't think aces are a very common experience among average players. I know they are for the Pros, take a look at the bottom of the box scores, you sometimes see several of them in one tourney.

I've been playing for 8 years now and hit only one ace on a slightly elevated 257 foot open hole. It felt awesome to say the least.

I believe you'll get more aces if you're trying to get aces. I'm not one to go for an ace, but I try and get it as close to the hole as possible on the ground. I hate fly bys and comeback putts!
Frank Sacco
Noob

1st Ace!

Postby Fritz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:41 pm

w00t! Got my first ace today. It was a fundraiser ace 1$ per throw to win a Ching Skill Shot, and to help raise money for a Junior player to go to worlds next year. It was between 250' - 275' with a 177g Millennium QMS witnessed by pretty much all the tournament participants! :) Just thought I'd share!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:23 pm

it was at least 250, and a beautiful toss, well worth a couple bucks and a Skillshot. Congrats again Josh. :D
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby chris86wm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:37 pm

My first near ace was this summer at Barfield Crecent Park in Tenn. I believe it was hole #8; the hole goes over a small pond surrounded by trees with a small opening on the far side of the water. The basket is located on the right side so I had to anhyzer the disc a bit to get it down there. I knew the disc was going for the basket as soon as a threw it. It cleared the pond on an anhyzer and faded back towards the basket only to smack the chains HARD and bounce out. I was sick to my stomach after watching what would have been my first ace fall out of the chains.

A few months after that I hit two aces within a month of each other (8-7-06 & 9-1-06) on #6 at my home course in West Monroe, Louisiana. I was playing in a group with my buddies both times which made the aces that much sweeter! I have been hooked on the sport ever since. :D
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 pm

I've been palying for about 3 months and have had one ace. Hole 18 at the Camino de Real park in Scottsdale. I've also lost 3 discs in the lake trying to just get par on the same hole!
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:11 pm

I got probably my most exciting ace today. Its really windy and I was playing in a group of 7. I was three down going into hole 8 (3 is normal, but good for the wind) Hole 8 is wide open, wind blowing in good right to left headwind, X pred (im breaking it in, normally would be a Z pred) knife hyzer 260', slid off the nubs coming in and barely hit chains, just sat in the basket really hard. It was exciting because I was in a big group of guys, most I play w/ often, and a couple I just me. That and it was #2 this week, #3 this monthI had just finished describing the ace I got thursday on the 150' tunnel. :D getting excited for the next one (its a big one)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:21 pm

damn dirty... slow down already! so how many is that total?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:26 pm

...9 on first throws... :roll: I play a little too often... and I play the same course WAY too often... 7/9 are on this course. The odd thing is there are a few that I got like today throwing a line I dont throw as often. I throw the knife hyzer when its windy and when I am flipping my Wizards and still want to pull in a decent score. I do admit when playing casually I tend to run at them alittle more (I barely missed hole 7 minutes earlier)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to General Discussion