Playing in the Rain

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Playing in the Rain

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:20 am

How do y'all handle playing when it's raining or the ground is soaked?

I played a tournament in the rain this summer and injured my knee from a near fall. I went out yesterday with the ground soaked and muddy. And, I was having trouble keeping my footing on the tee pad; once I got mud, my coefficient of friction was greatly reduced causing many slips on throws.

So, I'm curious how everyone else deals with it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:30 am

umbrella, rags, birdie bag, and boots. haven't found anything to keep me from sliping on the non cement pads but i would bet cleats would prolly work.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:32 am

I also shorten up and slow down or even eliminate my x-step. I'd rather lose some distance than hurt myself of get all muddy and uncomfortable.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:59 am

I slipped yesterday on a cement tee pad in the rain. No injuries just a good laugh. I carry a towell and do my best to keep the discs dry.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Fritz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:32 am

I have a dry towel (on my bag), a towel for mud(in one of my 4 drink holder spots) and my normal side towel on my hip. I have an umbrella as well.
I don't like the birdie bag so I don't use it. Might try the G-dust bag from Gateway but we'll see.

I eliminate my X-step and in some cases my step all together, I just walk to the end of the pad and throw from a standstill. My distance suffers but I lose the risk of injury due to slip and it's a really consistent straight throw.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:41 am

I just sprained my ankle on hole 4 of a 44 hole tournament. It was also raining. I finished by throwing from a stand still on every hole. I finished in 7th place and was shocked at how far and accurately I threw with no run up. It only took about 40 feet off my throws. I would imagine, if you have good technique, that 40 feet shorter with good accuracy beats anyone else playing with their normal run up and slipping everywhere. I saw lots of bad throws because people were trying to figure out how not to slip and weren't thinking about their throws. Just stand there and throw it. If you can't do that, your technique needs some work.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby deaddisc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:12 am

Also, more forehand eliminates the need for a runup. Learn what discs to throw for all different angles/flights of a forehand (overstable vs. Understable)
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:24 am

I have been playing in the rain alot lately. Unless its not actually raining at the time with no mud on the tee I just eliminate the runup, and only throw d/dx discs. bring and extra towel, and keep the lid on my bag closed as much as possible when rain is actually falling. Like someone mentioned before, the people still trying to play normally end up hurting themselves or all over the place, which ends up getting them so frustrated they wont do very well. I would also say make sure you wear good tread shoes, if your course is anything like ours you will break your neck trying to walk around in something like skateshoes.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby presidio hills » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:31 pm

discmonkey42 wrote:I just sprained my ankle on hole 4 of a 44 hole tournament. It was also raining. I finished by throwing from a stand still on every hole. I finished in 7th place and was shocked at how far and accurately I threw with no run up. It only took about 40 feet off my throws. I would imagine, if you have good technique, that 40 feet shorter with good accuracy beats anyone else playing with their normal run up and slipping everywhere. I saw lots of bad throws because people were trying to figure out how not to slip and weren't thinking about their throws. Just stand there and throw it. If you can't do that, your technique needs some work.

i like the story, disc monkey. that's great to hear... except the sprained ankle part.

i agree just standing if it's too slippery... 40' shorter? whatever, at least you're not slipping... slipping = see you later.

my thing is just having a big golf umbrella... then you don't really need a jacket. i'll wear shorts, a t-shirt, some boots, and carry plenty of microfiber towels. also, holding the disc under your shirt before throwing if you're out from the umbrella.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:00 pm

I love playing in the rain cause it keeps the courses empty. :twisted:

Saw two other groups of golfers out in the rain today at Pier Park. Last week in the afternoons I had to wait on tee almost every hole while the sun was out.

Only concession I make for the rain is carrying a dry towel and having a windbreaker. When did water ever hurt anybody? (I definitely reccommend the dry towel though so it's possible to grip a disc.)
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:51 am

The other problem I have is getting my shoes so muddy that they are heavy to walk around in. I was wearing Merril ventilators. I wasn't too concerned about getting wet though others were, and my bag has a rain flap.

Good thing it doesnt rain much here.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frontman311 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:41 am

If you just wanna do some rec play when it's raining then find a good woods course, you won't even notice the rain.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Rain

Postby Texas Made » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:48 am

There's I couple of things that I do in the rain-
I carry neoprene socks in my car all the time so I can find drowned discs, but they work great in wet shoes keeping your feet warm, and the neoprene grips the inside of your shoe when it is wet as well....I usually carry and extra towel to keep things dry, and throw from a standstill with light drivers in the 165g - 170g range...
Dx and Pro plastic works well, but star plastic just seems way too slick...
I like the rain, it's better than playing in 104 degree Texas Heat.....
Having a plan in the rain is a nice conpetetive edge over most.
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Teepad:
Cement- place large towel on pad where you expect plant foot to land. (Mike Moser trick)
-abbreviate and slow any runup steps

Fairway:
-One step or stand and deliver

Bump up to a bigger disc- If it's really messy, you're going to be hampered by raingear and compromised footing so you're bound to lose some power. To compensate instead of trying to throw harder throw a fairway driver where you might otherwise use a mid.

Adjust your expectations- If you're expecting to throw as far and as controlled in the rain as you normally do in ideal conditions you're setting yourself up for frustration. Disc golf is a very mental game and in adverse conditions it is especially important to play within your game and stay positive, realize the other players in your division will likely have a tough time as well and if you stay patient and focused you'll have an advantage.

Be Prepared- Umbrella, waterproof socks, chamois, birdie bag and plenty of towels are essential in wet conditions. Always have them with you when departing for a tournament. Also energy bars and gum will help you get through a grueling long wet round. Rain has a tendency to lower body temperature which will cause you to expend more calories energy bars will give your body needed fuel. Chewing gum, for me helps me stay relaxed,patient and seems to be an anxiety buster.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks guys! Excellent stuff. Yeah I got to play in the rain again. I guess the situation I was describing was more of a down pour than just rain. But yeah the 100 degree heat is more of a concern for us than rain most of the time. Heat stroke is a problem down here unless you play early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion