Course Pulled in MO

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Course Pulled in MO

Postby Fritz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:14 am

Course pulled in St. Charles.

Think twice before you puff and drink on a local course. It might be the last time you play there. It's things like this that are harming the sport of disc golf and not getting it the sports recognition it deserves.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

pulled course

Postby twmccoy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 am

That's why you don't put disc golf courses on church property. I've seen lots of drinking and drug use on the course, but nothing destructive.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: pulled course

Postby Fritz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:39 pm

twmccoy wrote:That's why you don't put disc golf courses on church property. I've seen lots of drinking and drug use on the course, but nothing destructive.

That's why you shouldn't drink and smoke on a course.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:47 pm

There is a course on church grounds here in Portland. It works well. Sure there is drinking and puffing happening and I have even been guilty of such myself. People generally have the sense to be discreet about it though. As long as you aren't waving your beer can for all to see and then dropping empties on the ground everything is good.

Bummer for the 95% of the folks at the St. Charles course who have this basic common sense. The other 5% should be chained up on the pins 1 thru 18 and you now have an interesting object course.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Luckyg71 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:57 pm

I would think people would be respectful and not drink or smoke on the course. The church was nice enough to set up a course, please abide by the rules.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:04 pm

i leave nothing behind and i dont smoke when others are around.

my 2 cents.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:06 pm

lock-off wrote:i leave nothing behind and i dont smoke when others are around.

my 2 cents.
that's what I'm talkin about 8)
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zealot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:19 pm

and i wouldnt do such at a 'private' course (ie one at a church)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:34 pm

Suppose you find the same people who are discreetly packing beer or bowls along with them (though an observer would probably not realize) are the very same people doing most of the volunteer course maintenance. Where does you moral compass point to there?
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Re: pulled course

Postby twmccoy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:57 pm

Fritz wrote:
twmccoy wrote:That's why you don't put disc golf courses on church property. I've seen lots of drinking and drug use on the course, but nothing destructive.

That's why you shouldn't drink and smoke on a course.

I don't, but many of the hardcore DG'ers I've played with do. I don't understand it myself. I personally like being sober while playing.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby daevidcardiac » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:21 am

dude, this course sucked anyway...the real reason it got shut down was because some bonehead was starting shit with what turned out to be a church dude. all that other shit was excuses made after the fact. i think dmac took the pins, so hopefully there will be a better course.
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Damn...

Postby Texas Made » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Yeah, I would think that people would have sense enough to stray from drinkin' and smokin' on chruch property....Doesn't seem too smart- and it really seems disrespectful. On the other hand, I allways smoke when I play, I don't allways drink.. But like homeboy said, thepeople that I play with that blaze ansd drink are also the same peole who get covered in pioson ivy clearing the thick woods so others won't have too....To me that chivalry- you should judge someone because they drink or smoke.
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:59 pm

I wouldnt guess it was anything thats not going on at any other course, and likely wasnt everyone being too open with it. probly just a few idiots that ruined it for everyone. I know most of the players at my local course drink or smoke, and it is in a public park, but they are discrete and clean up after themselves. in fact most of us even clean up after the jerks that just throw cans/bottles on the ground.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Jerry R » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:04 pm

I think a lot has to do with the fact that there never seems to be enough soccer and softball fields, so they did not need much of an excuse to yank the DG course. There is a course in our area that they are thinking of pulling in favor of an RV park.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:55 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking and smoking at a course as long as it's done responsibly. It goes on all the time in ball golf, so no big surprise it happens in disc golf either, I mean, let's face it, it's a leisurely sport that lends itself well to those kind of activities. Being in a public park though is where things get sticky, I can see why families would be upset about walking through a cloud of smoke or seeing a bunch of dudes tossing beers back. One of the problems on our course is that there's a significant amount of trash that appears there, mostly beer cans and bottles. I won't deny that there are some less than savory disc golfers who just drop their trash wherever, but also, a huge portion of it is teenage kids coming out at night and getting loaded in the park. Of course, all the residents see the golfers out in the day, but not the kids at night, so all the blame falls on us. But, that's why we make last place carry the heavy duty trash bag in our random doubles torneys. :D
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion