Course Pulled in MO

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby swel304 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:48 pm

I think being on church property likely helped blow it out of proportion. We should just count ourselves lucky they didnt catch some kid wearing a slayer shirt, then disc golf would be linked with satanism and teen suicide :roll:
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Rooster » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm

swel304 wrote:We should just count ourselves lucky they didnt catch some kid wearing a slayer shirt, then disc golf would be linked with satanism and teen suicide

Wait Wait Wait.....

Your telling me disc golf isn't related to Satanism and teen suicide?

You probably say cigarettes are bad for you too!
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Rooster wrote:You probably say cigarettes are bad for you too!

well... they do keep you "regular" if you know what i mean.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:31 pm

presidio hills wrote:
Rooster wrote:You probably say cigarettes are bad for you too!

well... they do keep you "regular" if you know what i mean.

What I think you mean is they make you cool.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby didihitatree » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:05 pm

I don't know what to think about this.

Some of the people I play disc golf with blaze up on the course and I've been known to have a few beers. And yeah, most of them are the same people who pick up a lot of the bottles and recycle them. As far as I'm concerned, there's no problem.

But then, I don't make the rules. From an owner's perspective, litter is pretty easy to pick up and is in the budget or can be budgeted. Getting busted under RICO statutes or otherwise taking legal/political pressure for being a drug hangout is far bigger liability.

At some point, it comes down to not being able to light up at the course vs. no disc golf at all. And when you light up or drink, you're not only making that choice for yourself but for everyone else who plays.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby garublador » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:28 am

didihitatree wrote:At some point, it comes down to not being able to light up at the course vs. no disc golf at all. And when you light up or drink, you're not only making that choice for yourself but for everyone else who plays.

Really, that is what it comes down to. It doesn't matter how careful you are, any illegal activities do run the risk of giving the sport bad publicity and the risk of losing a course and/or making it more difficult to install new courses. It doesn't seem incredibly intelligent to risk losing a course by partking in said activites especally if you're the one who has been working so hard to keep the course nice and up to date. I really do appreciate those that spend the time to work on the courses, but when all is said and done, I'd take a slightly run down course over no course any day.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby didihitatree » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:31 pm

I thought of this thread yesterday when my friends and I were playing a round.

We come out to the course and there's these frat guys out there with a full cooler of beer, already kinda drunk. There's about six or seven of them. They were about five holes in front of us we ran into them at this place where the course bends back on itself temporarily. They obviously didn't play much because they were terrible, and not really caring about their throws. We all pretty much immediately got that ahole vibe from them but you know, you don't want to judge people.

The course is pretty heavily wooded, so we lose track of them. There's no one between us and them, though. We can just hear a lot of yelling and general crashing around every once in awhile, but no big deal.

We get to 13, and after throwing our drives we notice the basket is hanging off the pole. We're not too concerned because that basket has been dented and messed up for awhile. Still, this is the first time we've seen it actually dislodged. So we pull it up and kinda twist it and it stays up even though it's going to need to be rewelded sometime soon.

Come around to 14. A small (but thankfully dead) tree has been knocked down so it's right over the tee pad. We move the tree out of the way. There's ice all over the tee pad. We kick the ice out of the way and get ready to throw. The tee box markers are gone. They've been uprooted and kicked down the course path. We spend a few minute rooting around for them and put them back.

15 and 16 look okay, except once again there's ice all over the tee pads. We get to 17, once again the tee markers have been uprooted. This time they've been put down 30 feet up path. So we go get the markers and put them back where they were.

We get to 18, the bench by the teebox has been smashed. The sign marking the hole has been pulled out and tossed halfway down the hole. Both tee markers are missing but this time they've been smashed.

So as we come out of the woods, we see the cops coming towards the course. Turns out someone had seen the dudes and called the police. Of course the dudes immediately ran and were long gone by the time the cops show up.

We've got a buddy we ran into and we know he's on the course. So we run back out and find him at hole 7, just about to light up a j. We tell him there's narcs around so he leaves with us.

As we're walking out we see them citing (at least not arresting) this guy we see around a lot who comes with his wife and kids. I know what this guy does. The guy throws the course, while his family takes their dog for a walk along the nature path. There's a little picnic table at the first tee where the nature path and golf course diverge. He comes back to the first tee and drink a beer while he waits to meet up with his family.

Seriously, the guy has A beer. He's not out there with a six pack, he just drinks a beer to cool off instead of gatorade or whatever. Really friendly guy.

We were really steamed. But that's why you shouldn't drink on the course (I quit a several months ago). Because some other jackasses screw up and you get busted. And just because you don't do anything wrong while you're toking or drinking, it doesn't mean other people can handle their liquor.

So today there's a notice at the park that the cops will be patrolling the course and if anyone gets caught it will be shut down (hopefully temporarily). And the odds of them catching someone is just about 100%. This is also the same course where we've seen deer hoofs and other remains from people illegal jacklighting and some of the signs have obviously been hit with shotgun pellets. No one cares about that apparently, but they do care about drinking. It's stupid, but what can you do?
didihitatree
Noob

Postby dave9668 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 pm

About a month ago I was at the local course trying to get a few holes in before dark. I found myself behind a group of frat daddies that had also had too much to drink. Them being drunk did not bother me , but the fact that I spent half of the time picking up bottles and cans that they left behind did. That is what really gets under my skin. All of the holes here have at least one trash can by the box and some have another by the basket. It cant be that hard to throw your trash away. We played a mini there about a week ago and during the game the people on both of my cards (singles and then doubles) were walking between holes and picking up trash and some of these guys dont even play on this course very often. I have found that the people that really play alot always pick up theirs trash and others. No matter where they play. Its takes people like that to keep parks open. Around here we are lucky if they mow once every few months so I find it as my personal mission to try and keep the course clean for everyone to enjoy. After all we are lucky to have such a wonderful way to get outside and get some exercise for FREE. So why not give something back to the game we all love.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby chris86wm » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 pm

I know that drinking/smoking is a popular thing to do for some when they play disc golf, but is it really neccessary?
I believe that this kind of behavior makes the sport look like a joke. How many other legitamate sports can you think of in which drinking your ass off and smoking weed while playing is acceptable? You are in most cases playing in a PUBLIC park! Have some respect for the course and those who are playing it. The whole pot smoking hippie steriotype that is associated with disc golfers is becoming annoying and needs to stop. I mean come on, its not that difficult to wait 18 holes until you light one up or drink a cold one?
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby -Frank- » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:55 pm

chris86wm wrote:I know that drinking/smoking is a popular thing to do for some when they play disc golf, but is it really neccessary?
I believe that this kind of behavior makes the sport look like a joke. How many other legitamate sports can you think of in which drinking your ass off and smoking weed while playing is acceptable? You are in most cases playing in a PUBLIC park! Have some respect for the course and those who are playing it. The whole pot smoking hippie steriotype that is associated with disc golfers is becoming annoying and needs to stop. I mean come on, its not that difficult to wait 18 holes until you light one up or drink a cold one?

Amen.
-Frank-
Noob

Postby Glock23 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:27 am

^+2
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby domromer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:42 am

One of local courses is literally a sea of broken bottles. I can't even bring my dog there because there is so much glass. It's not like I live in the innercity and it's bums sleeping in the park breaking bottles. It pisses me off so much. It's not like these people breaking bottles don't plan on coming back. they just don't care. another course opened about a month ago and it's right on campus. It's already attained a thick carpet of glass shards. I'm all for drinking and smoking do what ever, but people on my local courses can't contain themselves. I think all drinking should be banned on at least my courses. People here in AZ don't seem to have the self control not too litter.

It's a real big thing out here to be seen to be carrying the most beer as possible. I walked up on a group of 2 guys on pad one yesterday. They were like 19 and they had an entire case of corona. I don't mean like a 12 pack or even a 24 pack. I mean the 36 bottles cases you can get at costo. I don't know. All this drinking on the course makes us look like a bunch of scmucks. I would rather if every body fired up. At least you can't cut your foot on a burned up roach. Whatever, thats my rant for the day.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Craig » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:29 am

I love drinking a few beers while I play. I find it's way more fun. I don't behave like a jackass, and I don't embarass the police. There's no problem.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:25 am

chris86wm wrote:I know that drinking/smoking is a popular thing to do for some when they play disc golf, but is it really neccessary?

I agree, why is it so important to drink and smoke while throwing a round?
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:31 pm

Well, even though its illegal, I think the pot smoking is far less of the problem of being a public nuisance. Like domromer mentioned, its not going to cause a litter problem, and let's face it, a bunch of baked hippies are going to act a lot differently than drunk fratboys. If I see a group that's blazing, the main thing I'm worried about is that I'm going to get stuck behind them and it's going to take an hour to try to play through. :wink:

I can see what you guys are saying about why do people need to drink and smoke while playing, but let's face it, our sport does lend itself very well to "extracurricular activities", just like ball golf, bowling, pool, fishing, etc. Even though I don't partake very often, I can't really fault others that do (most of the guys I play with are doing one or the other, if not both.) Like has been said, most people out there stay in control and don't cause a nuisance.

Stories like the frat boys and their cooler piss me off so much though. I used to live in Santa Barbara, where there were more than enough frat boys around ("choad warriors" as my friends and I called them) and I couldn't stand seeing them on the course. Drinking was legal on the course, and inevitably, as soon as the school season started up again, we'd find exponentially more empties on the course, and broken branches and trees that had apparently been in the way. Oh, and of course, you could hear multiple shouts of "FUCK!!!" and "SHIT!!!" and whatever else all over the course, which was surrounded by an otherwise quiet suburban neighborhood. At one point, the rumor got around that they were threatening to take the course down, I don't know if it was true or not, but having the word out there brought the offensive behavior down a ways. Also, I've found that even though a lot of the guys act all tough and stuff, they're likely to back down if you actually confront them, especially if you're cool about it. Mentioning that the neighbors have been calling the cops helps a lot too, whether it's true or not. And hell, even though I can't stand the idea of being a narc, if people are being beligerent, I'm not opposed to calling the cops on them myself. The way I see it, if whatever people are doing isn't hurting anyone else, they're not a problem, but if they're destroying property or causing distress to others, well, then they're a problem.

Just my 2 cents.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion