Course Pulled in MO

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby chris86wm » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:40 pm

I agree somewhat with what you are saying. In most cases, pot smokers don’t cause problems. Hell, at my local course the ones picking up trash and keeping the course clean are mostly the ones who smoke. My only concern is that it is a PUBLIC park. I have seen a few families out there with their young kids playing a round from time to time. If I were a father, I wouldn’t take my small children to play disc golf on the weekends if there was a group smoking pot or acting drunk ahead of us on the next tee-pad.

You could say the same thing about other things. I have been known to let a few 4 letter words fly during a frustrating round and that’s something that I need to improve on. I wouldn’t want kids around that kind of behavior either. If we make new comers uncomfortable on the course, we will drive them away from the game rather than encouraging them to keep playing. I guess what I am trying to say is to attempt to avoid this behavior, but if you insist on doing it, be discrete, be respectful to others around you, and keep the course clean.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:06 pm

hard one to argue, everybody has valid points.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:09 am

I don't care about drinking and smoking on the course but if you are doing something illegal out in public be prepared to pay the price for it. If that means getting a fine or getting the course pulled well that is the risk you run when you do those things on the course.

I don't drink or smoke on the course because of that. I would rather avoid any trouble while playing a round. Also, the last few summer doubles we had there were cops staked out across the street with binoculars watching for people to drink or smoke. They busted quite a few people.

Just to reinterate, I am not anti drink/smoke but a person has to be prepared to live with the consequences of their actions.

Thought of something else, if less regulars smoke/drank on the course the reputation of disc golf as a sport where that is allowed and encouraged would go down. That means less destructive frat boys would want to play. That means less random destruction. The only way to get those types to stop coming out is to change the image of disc golf. Until we police ourselves, we will always get those assholes on the course.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby deaddisc » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:00 am

Frank_Delicious wrote:I Thought of something else, if less regulars smoke/drank on the course the reputation of disc golf as a sport where that is allowed and encouraged would go down. That means less destructive frat boys would want to play. That means less random destruction. The only way to get those types to stop coming out is to change the image of disc golf. Until we police ourselves, we will always get those assholes on the course.

IMO we shouldnt want these people to stop coming, just to change their actions. It seems to me (and seems to be others opinion) that we need to grow the sport of DG to the mainstream. If we segregate our sport by not allowing certain groups of people to play than this will not allow us to become mainstream friendly, and get real company sponsorships. Im all for policing ourselves, but I dont think we should be kicking people off the course. You'd be surprised how receptive people are to just being told that what they are doing is not cool, with reasons to support this. If they then decide to leave and never come back then we are better w/out them, but if they realize our point and stop playing then we have converted yet another to our madness.

Really though as was said before, all have valid points on this issue and it is tough to take one side over another.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby chris86wm » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:42 am

If you have to be told that destroying stuff and breaking bottles all over the course is not acceptable before you change your ways, then you are a moron and dont belong on the course. The guys who do this kind of thing have no interest in disc golf; they just like to be destructive. If someone is found breaking baskets, cutting down limbs, or just being a jackass, IMO they shouldnt be allowed on the course period.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:38 am

I've been playing on the new course on campus lately the vandalism has just started. People have been taking long lengths or rebar and pushing it through the baskets. I don't really see the point. The funny things is that I've seen courses where it's legal to drink. All the courses here it's illegal to drink , or even have glass bottles. So the fact that it's illegal makes no diffirence. Or people all have thier dogs off leash and don't pick up the shit. I also had to get a disc back from a dog yesterday. The damn thing put teeth marks in my new Valk.. I found the owner after holding his dog for ten minutes. I made the guy give me 9$ for a new disc.(he didn't think it was a big deal that his dog ruined my brand new disc) What a bunch of crap. You shouldn't have to put up with this shit to play a round of golf.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby deaddisc » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:03 am

While DG certainly has its flaws in New England, Im glad I dont see most of the stuff you guys are ranting about on here. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had to put up with it when I was on the course.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby didihitatree » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:05 pm

Yeah, the dogs off leash thing is another one. I'm not a dog owner, but I do like dogs. 90% of the time, it doesn't bother me at all to see dogs running around off leash. There's at least four or five guys I play with who let their dogs off leash when they play and their dogs are well-behaved and obedient and they pick up the poop so it's not a problem.

But then there are the people that aren't as responsible. And if you call the cops, they will probably come and bust every person who's dog is unleashed.

The other thing is that the DG courses in my area are mostly in multi-use parks. An unleashed dog romping around in the woods is not a big deal. But an unleashed dog around kids is. Even if the dog doesn't bite, it's very frightening if you're a small kid or to see a big dog around your small kid if you're a parent. And kids don't really know what to do around dogs so they might end up getting bitten by accident. It's just a bad mix.

People walk through the woods and see these dogs offleash and they think it's okay not to leash your dog in the park.

I don't know. It's a shame that a few jerks change the rules for everyone else. I'd love to be able to drink while I play and for my friends to be able to toke up. But at least in my area, it's starting to look like that's going to be a problem. And if that's the case, I think people should think of the entire disc golf community and follow park rules.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby swel304 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:42 pm

Yeah, the dogs off leash thing is another one.

we were playing today, getting ready to tee off on a hole thats about 250' running right along side one of the walking roads in the park. there was a woman coming toward us on the road walking her dog (it was on a leash) so we waited just in case we got a bad throw and went here way. she let the dog take a big dump 10 feet from the basket and then just walked away! That really kinda ticked me off, especially since she looked right at us and knew we were getting ready to throw at the basket.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:53 pm

Ugh. Yeah, I don't care about dogs off the leash too much (as long as they're not disc hounds), but owners that don't clean up after their dogs really piss me off, regardless if it's a disc golf course or just a normal park.

One day we were finishing off a hole, my buddy and I had both parked our upshots so we were letting the other guys hole out and bring our discs back. We were just hanging out talking and I smelled this horrible smell. I thought it was my friend's breath at first, I was like "man, Aaron's breath smells just like dog shit! how do I break this to him?" But then as I was discreetly backing away, I realized the smell wasn't going away, and then noticed a foul little brown nugget on my finger. :evil: I'd inadvertently set my bag down in a pile and also caught the corner of my quad shocks in it too.

I guess that story is a little off topic, but that's one of my pet peeves (no pun intended).
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion