Playing in the cold

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Playing in the cold

Postby Expo_Bill » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:32 pm

The playing in the rain topic makes me wonder. With winter coming on and no inclination to play less :) do you all have any suggestions for playing in the cold? I know that when my hands and discs get cold I have a very tough time controlling my shots or getting any snap. I was thinking about trying a couple of those chemical heater packs, one in my bag and one in my pocket. I'm a skier so clothes, etc, aren't an issue but i can't imagine trying to throw with a glove on. Who's got great ideas?
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

Postby trogdor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:44 pm

It's not very earth shattering, but wear a hat. You'd be suprised how warm you will stay with just a sweatshirt if you have a good heavy hat on.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:50 pm

I play all winter and if you plan on playing in the snow don't take warm discs with you to play. I keep my discs in the garage and in the far back of my car so they stay cold this way snow will stick less. Snow sticks to the warm discs. I usually wear layers of course and a glove on my non trowing hand but otherwise I don't do much different. You can also use the Alaskan method for marking discs :D
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:54 pm

i play with a beanie....and a glove on my none throwing hand....and thermal udnerwear under pants....

i always leave a hand warmer on my throwing hand side. Also, try picking the disc up with your gloved hand...or with your throwing hand while using your towel.

oh yea...gortex/waterproof boots help in the snow

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Rooster » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:32 pm

wear a hoodie and in the pocket put a few of those hand warmers in there. kept my hand warm all last year. also they make the same thing for your toes too now. gonna have to try those this year.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

winter

Postby twmccoy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Be very careful with your arm. I played a lot wast winter and had issues with elbow soreness caused by throwing too much with a stiff arm. Make sure you stretch your arm well before throwing. Also, a golf glove may work and enhance grip on those bitter dry days. Heck, winter is my DG season.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby swel304 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:23 pm

I wouldnt think that fingerless gloves would hurt my throw too much. What about discs breaking? Ive heard a few stories about it but never seen it happen. Is there a certain plastic best for cold weather?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Fritz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:38 pm

swel304 wrote:I wouldnt think that fingerless gloves would hurt my throw too much. What about discs breaking? Ive heard a few stories about it but never seen it happen. Is there a certain plastic best for cold weather?

Best palstic for the cold, H Plastic from Gateway, Star Plastic from Innova, ESP Plastic from Discraft.

DX is bad, D is bad and S is bad. Ice bowl Pueblo 2006, 5 degrees, DX Eagle hits tree, 9 pieces laying under the tree. Shattered like a glass hitting the floor.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Expo_Bill » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:16 pm

Shattered it? That's bad but also pretty funny! I guess it's not the first time as 803.03 E specifies where to spot it (at the largest piece.)
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

best cold plastic

Postby twmccoy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:31 pm

I find that pro and champion plastic is the best for winter. Z, star and DX seem to be very slippery. Besides, champion will never break.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby twincitiesdg » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:25 pm

I play all winter in minnesota and let me tell you, it gets cold! I try to dress with one layer less than I think that I am going to need (obviously bring an extra layer in case). As far as the glove issue is concerned, I wear a pair of choppers that are a little big for me and simply remove it and slip it into my pocket when it is time to throw. This may seem a little inconvinient, but it really isn't. As for plastic, some of the other posts are dead on. Z and Champion plastic for some reason seem to become more grippy in the cold weather than they are in the warmer months. A couple of more tips as well, if there is alot of snow wherer you play, try throwing day-glow discs (bright flourescent yellow) or other neon colored discs as they tend to reflect very vividly off of the snow. Lastly, try to avoid playing after a fresh snow fall (obviously, i know) and if you can, wait until the snow melts a bit and then re-freezes, that way the disc catches killer skips off of the crust and doesn't dive straight into the snow. Hope this rant helps. Oh I almost forgot, if footing is a problem for you, I have known guys who have had success with metal cleets that attatch to the boots or shoes that you already use. You could probably get them at a camping/hiking or hardware store.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby swel304 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:47 pm

good to know as I will likely play all through winter myself. I saw a few star plastic discs for the first time at a local store the other day and it feels really good. Im gonna get a star leopard they had to try it out, might have to get a few more for winter if I like it. Anyone know about what the lowest temp you can use dx/d in without risking shattered discs?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 am

swel304 wrote: Anyone know about what the lowest temp you can use dx/d in without risking shattered discs?

I had a purple San Marino Roc snap in half on me on a 35% throw in 65 degree weather. I've had 3 stingrays crack halfway through all 60 degrees or warmer. The gummier the DX, the less likely it is to explode. I always wanted to carry around and old DX thrasher and whenever i need a emotional pickup in the cold see a disc shatter 200' out.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am

It depends a lot on the age of the disc, too. From what I understand, older DX and D discs were more likely to crack and shatter than newer blends. Also, the more a disc has been subjected to UV rays, the more brittle it will become.

65 degrees seems like an awfully warm temperature to be worrying about shattering discs. I play down into the 40's and 50's and haven't had a single disc ever shatter or crack and I hit a lot of stuff.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Obviously I know older, stiffer dx would be more likely to break anytime. I meant like is there enough moisture in the plastic that it actually freezes at 32 degrees? I know for example that most paintball gear (like masks) are not supposed to be used in under50 degrees or so as they are more likely to crack. Some companies make special cold weather gear so i thought maybe disc companies had some actual numbers somewhere.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion