Disc Golf Specific Excercises

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Specific Excercises

Postby S Brown » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Daylight will soon be an issue for me in the South East, and beside from putting practice in the driveway, are there any specific stretches, strengthing excercies, that can be recommended to improve my game.

I have seen the stretches on DGTV w/ Tim Gill, and I thought those were great. Has research been done ? Has anyone ever worked w/ a trainer to improve DG specififc muscles ? What do the top players in the world do in the "off" season.

Glad I will not be playing in the snow. For those who get sick of the "cold, rain, and snow" there is a tourney in Savannah, GA in January. Come check us out. Savannahdiscgolf.com.

Steve
S Brown
Noob

Postby swel304 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Im sure there are others here that can tell you better things but I work my grip alot. I went to walmart and got a 2pack of the little grip trainer spring things (@5$). I keep one in the car and one on my computer desk.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby S Brown » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Just wanted it to bring it back to the top of the forum!

Is there no off season?

If one were to improve thier overall golf d, as well as max d, what distance in feet would be considered improvement?

Is 10 ft cool? Or would 10% be considerd good?
Looking to improve my "d", but not like Bonds! :lol:

SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Put away the white discs... Play in the Snow!!!

We do.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby superq » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:56 am

snow golf is great, when there is more than a few inches on the ground I like to tape a ribbon to the top center of my disc, when it burries in the snow you can still see the end of the ribon sticking out where the disc slit in there.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby JoelDogg » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:43 am

I have noticed this topic pop up a few times.......I am actaully considering putting a page up on my website with a few tricks that might be able to put 50 feet or so on an intermediate level players drive in a few months. anyways, until i do, something you can do that will guaranteed pack a few feet on your drives, and give you wicked snap, is get together a sledgehammer and some old rubber tires and beat the heck out of those tires with the sledgehammer. hit them sideways with backhand grips, forehand grips, overhead. basically give the tires hell for about 50 good reps for starters and work up to about 100 or so. I am currently working on this type of program for some guys in my house, and ill keep you updated on the results. (if anyone even cares anymore, these threads seem to die fast)

The rationale behind all this is the impulse created at the moment you hit the tire is extremely high and replicates the impulse when you release a disc. this is something that cannot be accomplished in the weightroom or with bands/surgical tubing, or even gyro balls, although those may be helpful too. Just some background about me, I am pursuing my masters degree in human performance at UW-LaCrosse, and have thrown field distance drives (slightly) over 500 feet, although I probably average around 440 or so. any questions shoot me an email, and good luck.
JoelDogg
Noob

Return to General Discussion