average maximum distance question/survey

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

average maximum distance question/survey

Postby twincitiesdg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:34 am

I am curious what people in differnt parts of the country are capable of throwing for max controlable d and what they are using to achieve it. I am a mid-level advanced player with a maximum controlable distance of 370-400 feet using champ orcs (i have tried just about every disc on the market and they give me the best results). The reason i decided to start this thread is that here in minnesota it seems like most upper level players top out in the 400-500 feet. This is very far, especially 500 feet. I am wondering if guys in other areas can throw farther, I know top pros can throw in the 600 foot range. It just seems like in reviews and also in posts that there are alot of people who can throw 450, 500, even 600 like its no big deal. The distance record in Minnesota and Wisconsin is still at like 594 feet and I guess I just find it a little hard to believe that so many people can throw these distances. Anyways, I would just like to know what people are throwing and how far, and if people can really throw 500 feet on average or if they are just padding their stats to impress guys on the internet.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby Weebl » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:23 am

I doubt more than a handful of people in the world have a chance at throwing 600' on flat ground with no wind. I top out around 390' in an open field, I only have about 350'-360' golf D and the driver I use for such is an old mold beast. My game is constantly evolving though, so I hope to surpass consistant 400' field distance before the end of october.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:27 am

I'm in the same boat as weebl. I've hit my max D of 425-435ft a few times but my consistent D is around 350-375. I'm very comfortable with my game as i've been able to situate myself with the discs i can throw effectively.

Mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby superq » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:35 am

There are at least three types of distance shots.

Number 1 - golf distance
Golf distance is the measure that you can acuratly throw golf shots, usually this means the distance that you can shape a shot and land within a given area of your intended target. My golf distance is around 410 comfortably.

Number 2 - Max Distance
Max distance is the furthest you can crush a disc with little to no regard for where it goes or lands, these are the shots that you get to throw on the course every great once in a while on those open 500+ foot holes and you will be throwing either big sweeping anhysers that flex or hyzer flip shots. - my max D is very close to 500

Number 3 - Internet distances
Internet distance is the number that gets posted online usually it is an inflated boast and the goal is to post a number that is believable (even though no one really believes you) there are actually two types of internet distance.
number 3A
The ignorant internet distance- this is a person that has no real idea about distance, perhaps there are no measured holes on the local course or they are wrong but most likely some other ignorant golfer said something like ("Man that was like 500 feet) now golfer A has a "confiremd/witnessed 500 foot shot"
Number 3b -
The BS internet distance - this is a post that is just total crap and was put in cyberspace to boost someones ego.

I have played this game for over 12 years now, I have seen cyclones break the 500 foot mark, I have seen valkiryes fly to almost 600, I have seen some huge distance shots, I will part with this.

"when and if you see someone throw a golf disc over 500 feet you will know what you just saw."
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby garublador » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:44 am

The last time I threw in a football field I was consistantly throwing from one goalpost to the other with my longest discs. Most of the drivers ended up in the endzone, so I'm confident in saying that I have 330'-360' of golf D.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:58 am

My longest drives (D comp throws not golf D) are in hte 450-475 range.
My golf D is between 375-425 depending on the day.
Usually both are achieved with avengers, however the only disc Ive gotten to 475 is a DX teebird, and for golf D when I threw wraiths I could throw over 400 more often, but not as accurate.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:20 am

"when and if you see someone throw a golf disc over 500 feet you will know what you just saw."

word

and i havent seen it
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby bigs348 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:28 am

Maximum D with no regard for accuracy - I've thrown 475-480 on multiple occasions with a beat to hell DX Wraith. It's got a huge turn and glide so it'll get big D, but is never where I want it. I don't use this when I golf. I've been just shy of this distance with a DX TeeRex with more control, but I lost it...

Golf D - I can consistently hit in the 400-410 range with Star TeeRexes and Sirius Orion LFs, with good accuracy. I tried the Inferno again (and changed my grip to get more of a rip out of my hand). I was throwing these about 450 with a lot of control and putting them where I wanted them, but I haven't been to the course with them yet.

I throw a long way, and don't see or play with very many people that can out drive me. (The last guy that did was from KY, and he holds all kinds of distance titles in multiple states. He was throwing a Buzzz almost as far as my Teebirds (350-375), and outdriving me on max D with a Z Avenger thrown with hyzer.) Reading disc golf message boards, I feel like I am terribly weak, and should be throwing at least 100 feet farther to even have a shot at cashing in Intermediate. I think most people have no clue how far they actually throw, they go by distorted distances on tee signs and throw downhill to acheive max D. Either that, or they just make numbers up for the ego boost...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Amateur » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:36 am

I'll speak for central Illinois. I played leagues with the Peoria Frisbee Club one time and there were 3 guys that could throw 400ft. One guy that could throw 450ft and everybody else threw 250-325ft. The 4 guys with big arms have been playing disc golf for around 10 years.

I had around a 450ft throw...downhill :oops: . Flat ground, max D, 3/10 throws for me is around 345ft. I haven't done that in a while becasuse my home course is not flat and a lot of holes are way over 300ft and they require you to work a line (read:slower drivers). My average is 280-300ft working a line. But I'm still pretty new to the sport. I'm sure in 8 years I'll be throwing 400ft all day long.

I am very good for my area. Apparently in Minnesota I would be a shitty player.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:44 am

bigs348 wrote:and should be throwing at least 100 feet farther to even have a shot at cashing in Intermediate.

You know the sport really is getting much more competitive. Im afraid if I ever leave CO I wont even be in the prizes in rec ;-)

I am looking to try the inferno also, I have been hearing good things. Im worried it will be as controllable as the wraith (which I didnt like but am considering trying again, I was throwing further with it, its been a while since Ive tried a new D driver, I also think a OLF (not SOLF) would be a great disc, as well as a DX starfire-X)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:58 am

superq wrote:"when and if you see someone throw a golf disc over 500 feet you will know what you just saw."

Thats very true. At my home course hole 17 is a 550 foot bomb. And i would see people throw some pretty far shots but nothing close to the hole. Until i played with Brinster one day and watched him park it. It was nuts.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Luckyg71 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:56 am

My longest drives are probably around 320 - 330. That is real D and not internet d. My internet D is 300 yards!!!!
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby swel304 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 pm

The first time I picked up a disc I tossed it 27 miles against a strong wind.... of course I was standing on top of a 27 mile high cliff but still!
My favorite are the guys who say stuff like Ive been playing almost a month and my average drive is about 450' ..... Im sure some people out there has strong natural ability but Ive never seen or heard of anyone (except on the internet) that has achieved that kind of distance in less than a month. If that stuff is really true Im giving away all my discs and never playing again!
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Discoman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:53 pm

I have been playing for a month and a half. I have been using a track tape that goes to 330 ft my average field drive is around 320, occasionaly going out to and estimated 350 based on pacing it out off the end of the tape, one biggish step @3ft I am 6'2" . That is about as accurate as I get, cause dragging the tape arond on the grass is hard with it attached to the backstop I throw from. I figure if I am thwing shots that end up relatively stright along my tape they are pretty consistant. I can't imagine what it is going to take to hit 400 consistently....
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby trogdor » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Far enough to occassionally putt for birdie at 375 - 400 foot holes.
Not accurately enough to always putt for birdie at 200 foot holes.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion