average maximum distance question/survey

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:24 am

Weebl wrote:I'm in your boat, and only a few discs will react well for distance with anhyzer release. New Teebirds, Tsunamis, Talons have worked well for me.

The newer (wearwise) Spirit are the only discs in my bag that seems to like an anhyzer release for distance shots.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JoelDogg » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:50 am

I guess my farthest drives could go into 2 categories......field distance drives that I have measured, and course distance drives. Farthest measured field drive.....495 feet. course drive, well, about 530 on two occasions, but I would say that there is a good chance that the course signs were wrong (they almost always are). I would say at least one of those two was legitimately over 500 though (at least my ego hopes so). For me, consistant golf D wtih a Champ Tee-Bird is right around 400, Crush, its about 420, and Surge about 430-440. I have thrown a Wasp Midrange past a 400 foot hole once downwind (once again, questionable course markers). Personally I feel that I can still make some improvements as far as reach back, as well as conditioning (I am a javelin thrower hoping to make it to US championships, and I have a lot of power in the tank so to speak) I have seen a couple shots in my lifetime that might have been over 500 besides my own. I think there are 2 guys at my league in milwaukee who might be able to throw farther than me (once in a while at least, haha).

hope this helps,

Joel
JoelDogg
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:58 pm

yeah, throwing anywhere but a measured field is not very accurate.
Today I played a pitch and put course w/ a couple guys I dont see very often. after 3 rounds (9 holes) they decided they wanted to try out some new drivers they just picked up on the football field. All I had was my wizards (175 Med New, 175 Soft used, 172 Med beat) But I threw w/ them anways. 175 Med, 310', Straight with some fade. 175 Soft 295' tracked right alittle faded alittle, very straight (8' lateral movement) 172 Med 325' Tracked right about 30'.
Thing is these throws were all 50+ feet high, on the course I generally limit myself to about 250' w/ my wizards.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

hm

Postby Mark56 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:00 pm

arnt wizards like putt and approach kind of discs or am I confused. Because you would be throwing as far as me, which is moderatly depression haha.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:17 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:yeah, throwing anywhere but a measured field is not very accurate.
Today I played a pitch and put course w/ a couple guys I dont see very often. after 3 rounds (9 holes) they decided they wanted to try out some new drivers they just picked up on the football field. All I had was my wizards (175 Med New, 175 Soft used, 172 Med beat) But I threw w/ them anways. 175 Med, 310', Straight with some fade. 175 Soft 295' tracked right alittle faded alittle, very straight (8' lateral movement) 172 Med 325' Tracked right about 30'.
Thing is these throws were all 50+ feet high, on the course I generally limit myself to about 250' w/ my wizards.
50 feet high? Are you rolling your wrist to get some nose down on those throws?

And yes, they're putters.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:54 pm

nice work dirty. I've been trying to learn to drive with my wiz. Best throw so far was about 150-170 feet, but Im trying to keep it a reasonable height for tunnel shots and whatnot. when I played doubles a few weeks ago a guy in my group that throws wizards was driving with it for anything 250 and under, rocs for like up to 325 or so. I think I only saw him throw an actual driver on maybe 2-3 holes. It was so much more impressive to see someone hit a 250 drive with a putter than a 400+ witha wraith. I should have my stack o' wizards monday, think Im gonna play for a week or two with only wiz's+rocs.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:15 am

its always good to throw mids and putters for practice rounds, you will find they are capable of more than you think, that and when you step up to the 400' hole with a mid, you will learn alot about your form ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Previous

Return to General Discussion