Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:02 pm

285-310 Farthest I thrown.... ever, maybe 330'
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Re: average maximum distance question/survey

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:07 pm

twincitiesdg wrote:I I am a mid-level advanced player with a maximum controlable distance of 370-400 feet using champ orcs ...

One of the local players that played Worlds this year took 20th and he throws around 350-360. The top pros were not always reaching 400-425 holes. It's just my opinion but accuracy is a hell of a lot more important than distance once you can clear 350ft. Around here, (not including the temp. course) there aren't but a handful of holes where throwing more than 350ft. yields any real advantage. I haven't played as many courses as some of ya'll but I've played everything in Augusta and most courses in Atlanta. If you're throwing 375 accurately and can putt you can play with anyone.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:10 pm

unless the course is pretty open and there are alot of holes in the 400-450' range there is really not much need to be able to drive that far. If you have to throw 50' around an obstacle, generally your drive is going to be at least 50' shorter. You would be surprised how many top 50 pros throw a stable mid off the tee on 500'+ holes because placement is often much more important than distance. Depending on the course (denver area we have quite a bit of open holes, good stuff is in the mountians) I usually only throw a driver on 9/18 holes, 2 of those are max d drivers, and there are probably some I should be throwing my mids on ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:40 pm

I've seen one person, Scott Stokely, pop a drive that was over 500. I've played with good players in IA and TN and 600 is absolutely ridiculous, unheard of, and I'd have to see it to believe it. Around here in middle TN I've seen some people maybe hit 450. With a perfect tailwind and perfect snap I once threw a dx valk in the neighborhood of 425-450. On a good day, according to the signs at my local course, I can throw a gazelle/teebird on a controlled straight line for 375-400 ft (prob more like 350-375, I suspect the signs are wrong), and a valk/beast/wraith will add about 30 ft on average on open holes when I can afford to have the s-curve play. There must be something in the water up there in MN!
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby smurphy29 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:50 pm

I'm another central Illinois player. My max d on an open field is about 370. My golf d is about 300ft. on the course. I like to throw new pro starfires for good distance on the course. I also will throw champion orcs for good distance.
smurphy29
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:54 pm

dflaschiii wrote:Iprob more like 350-375, I suspect the signs are wrong

alot of courses are measured on the perfered ore ideal line. (as the crow flies)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby twincitiesdg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 pm

Thanks for the fast replies. Everyones posts just reafirmed my assumptions. You guys are definetly right about accuracy being at a premium. The main thing that keeps me competitive against some of these guys is that I generally know when to go for it and when not to. One of my favorite things in the world is to step up to a teebox on a long, tight hole and watch the entire card pull out drivers and then I step up with a mid and put it right where it needs to be for the three. I do have pretty good distance for my level of experience, but i have also had the advantage of having blake completely deconstruct my throw and rebuild it from the ground up. I am a firm believer that accuracy and control will beat all out distance any day. I, like you guys all seem to be as well, am completely content with my current distance and am in no rush to gain more. I am still amazed though how many guys will ask for throwing tips and the only thing that they are concerned about is how they can throw farther. Also on a side note, here in Minnesota we have very competitive advanced and intermediate divisions. If anyone is interested in seeing how competitive I would encourage you to check out the sundog league website, there is a link from par72discgolf.com. Then if you want to see the courses that we play check out playdg.com. thanks again for the fast and insightful response.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby Torg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:43 pm

This thread brings to mind a round I had this year at Acorn Park. I threw a pretty normal drive to the place to make your next shot from (hole 8 ), plenty of guys throw pretty much the same shot, maybe a bit over 300 feet and pretty straight and plenty can throw much further, me included. 4 guys are watching and they absolutely freak out saying how that was like a 500 foot drive and how they can't believe it. I didn't stay to watch them throw bad hyzers into the swamp, but it makes the point that many if not most casual people, which included me until 2 years ago when I hit the football field, have no idea what 300 or 400 or 500 foot drives look like.

And yes to what everyone says to accuracy.

Now for real distance I need to talk my kid into teaching me to throw rollers.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby krusen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:32 am

I can reach 360 consistently on the football field with my faster drivers. I would say that this is pretty close to my golf D as well since I rarely land far from the other goalpost. I played 4 tourneys in intermediate this year with a best finish at 5th. While I would welcome another 50', I know my putting is what needs work.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

well here comes the math!!!

Postby superq » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:09 am

I agree with the accuracy argument but it still comes back to putting. lets look at the example, golfer 1 is 80% putter from 35 feet where golfer 2 is less and more like 80% from 17 feet. on the same hole golfer 1 has an area of 220 square feet to land his drive to hit his 80% putt where golfer 2 needs his to land in an area only 106 square feet to get the same result.

It is fundamental that you improve your putting if you want to improve your golf game. I see people all the time that can crush a disc so well you would think the stamp would fly off then doink the 20 footer and take the same 3 everyone else did, I am in that column, drive all day miss the putt. 90% of my disc golf stories start like this " So I bombed it up and over and I was like parked " and end like this "yea then I missed the putt and you know"

lets end the insanity!!!
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Texas Made » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:22 am

Football fields are good guidelines. Throwing form one end zone to the other is a good picture of how far the disc goes. My drive is roughly 300' - 350' nothing special.....Thats what rollers are for. But regarding accuracy at that distance, That I have down...A friend of mine can easily Crush 450' - ' 500' drives side armed, but who knows where this tower of power will end up...I have got to take him to Old Settlers Park in Round Rock Texas- Thats a big arm course....
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:12 am

Texas Made wrote: That I have down...A friend of mine can easily Crush 450' - ' 500' drives side armed.

That is a extreamly long forehand, I dont think 500' has been broken many times forehand...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby deaddisc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:22 am

I would agree, 500 is ridiculous on a forehand and I can crush mine (or so I thought)
Texas Made:
What disc does he use for such lengthy drives, and also what would you say the apex height is on those throws? Sometimes I think I just do not throw a disc high enough to get the full flight out of it, although I recently picked up some CFR orcs and I am itchin to see how far they will go. They seem domey enough that they wont turnover like my star wraith or star teerex.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby distantdg » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Geoff Bennett can throw forehand a longggggg way.
distantdg
Noob

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:16 pm

My average controllable golf distance is about 360'. My all out, accuracy be damned field distance is around 410'. I throw pro starfires and champ orcs for distance.

Two local guys I play with can consistently throw 450' golf D and around 490' field D. They both throw esp surges.

In my region (mid-atlantic) the two longest arms are Steve Brinster and Jake Azato (wraith and predator respectively) both throw consistent golf distance around 500 and possibly 570 of field distance. Other big arms would be Ronnie Turner and Jim Myers whom both break 500' from time to time.

Mike Moser, who doesn't often throw airshots much past 420' can occassionally roll a champion beast freaky long (525').
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion