average maximum distance question/survey

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:27 pm

To address the subject of how helpful is big distance, I'd say big driver D is not all that important. However what does become useful is if you can throw a Roc 400' with a low ceiling or if you can throw a putter 350'. If you're throwing a tightly wooded 375' hole you have an advantage if you can get the needed distance with a mid while most players have to throw a high speed driver.

I've played rounds with Jake Azato where he's throwing Rhynos on the same holes I'm throwing a champ orc. What's humbling is when he outdrives my orc by 40' with his putter.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby bigs348 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Moser's funny like that -- he doesn't throw too far when he goes all out, but he throws DX Aviars 320-350 like it's no big deal.

Don't forget Craig Gangloff. He doesn't let loose often, but I've seen him crank flex shots with a Pro Wraith close to 500' out on the course.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:02 pm

Yeah, I've logged quite a few rounds with Craiger too. I've seen him crest the top of the hill on hole 2 at the Woodshed which very few have done (the only other person I've seen do it is Tyler Horne).

I'd have to say Craig's signature shot would have to be that thumber roller.

What's remarkable about both Myers (47) and Gangloff (42) is that their distance hasn't appeared to drop off despite being among the oldest in the open division.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:16 pm

roadkill wrote:I've seen him crest the top of the hill on hole 2 at the Woodshed which very few have done (the only other person I've seen do it is Tyler Horne).

What do you mean by top of the hill? Where it kinda flattens out right before going into the woods? I made it to there at the WVO last month, right along the tree line on the left. Left myself with about a 100 foot hyzer shot into the woods, and a drop in 3. Unfortunately, the next 4 holes weren't as kind to me...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:21 pm

roadkill wrote: What's remarkable about both Myers (47) and Gangloff (42) is that their distance hasn't appeared to drop off despite being among the oldest in the open division.

I definitely agree with you here, but I have to say that I don't exactly consider Myers an "open" player. He has the skills, and he always hits up the USDGC, but very rarely will you see him playing Open unless there's no Master's division available. Craig, on the other hand, I don't think would play Masters if his life depended on it.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:08 pm

bigs348 wrote:
roadkill wrote:I've seen him crest the top of the hill on hole 2 at the Woodshed which very few have done (the only other person I've seen do it is Tyler Horne).

What do you mean by top of the hill? Where it kinda flattens out right before going into the woods? I made it to there at the WVO last month, right along the tree line on the left. Left myself with about a 100 foot hyzer shot into the woods, and a drop in 3. ...

By top of the hill, I basicly mean pin high with a straight in shot to the pin. While it sounds like you had an incredible drive, if your approach to the pin was a hyzer you were most likely a little shy of pin high. Craig's was about 50' from the pin, Tyler's was like 40'.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:18 pm

bigs348 wrote: I have to say that I don't exactly consider Myers an "open" player. He has the skills, and he always hits up the USDGC, but very rarely will you see him playing Open unless there's no Master's division available. Craig, on the other hand, I don't think would play Masters if his life depended on it.

This year he's only played open a couple times (Rockburn and Calvert that I know of). However last year he played open 10 times and masters 7 times. Generally he plays masters at Atiers and NTs and plays open at B and C tiers. It seems he plays fewer lower tiers than he used to.

To my knowledge Craig's never played masters and I've heard him vow that he has no plans to........... ever. Thank God, next year I turn 40 so for the first time in 20 years I don't have to compete against him (now if I could only get Myers to stay out of masters...)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:29 pm

roadkill wrote:(now if I could only get Myers to stay out of masters...)

Don't forget Joey and Linc...
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:42 pm

roadkill wrote:Craig's was about 50' from the pin, Tyler's was like 40'.

I knew there was no way I was close to those guys -- that's why I wondered what you meant by "crest." Sometimes I wish all holes were uphill...

I also heard that last year Tyler cleared the water on hole 1 going to the left pin? That's just insane.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:42 pm

bigs348 wrote:
Don't forget Joey and Linc...

Yeah, Yeah the Technician and the Lincster. I expect them to play masters. I don't mind Joey takin my money so much, but boy do I hate it when Linc does, he lives 10 minutes from me and I got to put up with all his gloating....... it's bad enough that he beats me in mini golf.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

distance

Postby Mark56 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:52 pm

I've been playing since May to well...Today. So that's what 5 months almost 6? Wow its been a while haha. My drives always average around 275feet I think, although occasionaly I have been hitting that 300 when i can anhyzer properly.

And these Internet scores are killin me cause everyone is throwin so far but I figure once I can get a solid anhyzer and whatnot I can only gte better from there.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:52 pm

I've been playing for about a year. My max D and golf D are both about 340. I gained about 60 feet in the last 8 weeks. It's funny how distance shows up over time. The lessons on this site don't make any sense until you're ready for them, then one clicks and you get a jump. Then another and another.

It amazes me how short a distance 20 feet is, though, once you measure it out. 350' isn't that much further than 300'.

None of my local courses have any holes longer than about 310' and most are around 200' or less. It would sure be nice to reach the 300 footers with a putter, though.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Re: distance

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:24 am

Mark56 wrote:I've been playing since May to well...Today. So that's what 5 months almost 6? Wow its been a while haha. My drives always average around 275feet I think, although occasionaly I have been hitting that 300 when i can anhyzer properly.

And these Internet scores are killin me cause everyone is throwin so far but I figure once I can get a solid anhyzer and whatnot I can only gte better from there.

I'm hitting 340'-360' pretty consistantly and that's normally with a hyzer flip style shot rather than an anhzyer. Some of my longer discs will turn over a bit when thrown hard with a hyzer, but I have trouble getting max D with an anhyzer throw. Granted, I haven't really explored distance lines yet, but those are the results I'm seeing.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:12 am

I'm in your boat, and only a few discs will react well for distance with anhyzer release. New Teebirds, Tsunamis, Talons have worked well for me.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:14 am

I can only throw about 350 golf D and maybe 375-85 max D. I don't really get to practice max D very often though, my home course is all tight woods and going off the fairway is a bigger penalty than anything.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion