average max Roc/midrange

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

average max Roc/midrange

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:52 pm

Was reading the max d thread, with the comments about control versus raw power, and thought this would be an interesting topic too. I spent awhile this summer throwing only rocs on drives, to improve my technique and see how far I could get these controlled shots. I was pretty suprised to see how far it would fly, and on such a slow, straight path (nothing's prettier than a disc just floating towards the basket from 300 ft). For my game off the tee, the farther I can throw the roc, the lower my scores get.

I can defidently throw a roc 300, and on a day when everything's feeling good, I've gotten it up to 325. I've seen a few guys throw them further, but I'm wondering if these people who are throwing 500 ft bombs with distance drivers can throw thier rocs (or buzzz or whatever) 375-400, as a 400 ft roc throw would impress me more than a 500 ft wraith.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:00 pm

again you are running into the Max d vs golf D.

the furthest Ive gotten a mid out was probably 400', I can consistantly throw end zone to endzone (360').

on the course I generally dont throw them longer than 325-350 depending on conditions.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby swel304 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:03 pm

On a flat ground throw I can get it out to 225ish range but it flutters like crazy from being thrwon so hard. Probly about 200 with good control. Driving with it during practice rounds really helps show me what I am doing wrong. The flutter seems to be coming from going about noesdown the wrong way. The smoother I can get the roc flying the more distance I get out of my drivers. downhill is a whole different story. I always throw my roc's on downhill's no matter how far the basket is. I have one in particular, DX, very flat top and looks like its been ran over by a car a few times, pretty much just have to let go of it on a downhill (trying to snap it hard makes it turn) and it goes straight till it hits something or pushed by the wind. People laugh when I pull it out, amazed when they see it fly :lol:
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:09 pm

that flutter is from off axis torque, not amount of power. You mention it may be from "how you get the nose down" is probably spot on. Throwing the disc on a different plane than the spin and plane of your arm. If everything is moving in a smooth fluid motion you will find it takes less energy (and power) to make a disc fly.
I am not throwing significantly further than I was a year ago, but after smoothing out all the kinks in my form (literarly and figuratively) I swear that I am using half the energy (and probably 3/4s the power)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Im pretty sure your right dirty, I was trying to learn my faster drivers with a more nose down release. But I was doing it wrong, bending down at the wrist. with the faster drivers I didnt see the flutter, then I started noticing my roc exhibiting the flutter. Now im trying to retrain myself to keep it on the correct plane, and it seems to get nose down I need to angle my forearm not just at the wrist (correct?). I know it has greatly reduced flutter on the roc and narrowed the long range spread of my drives, not nearly as many errant throws.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:33 pm

playing a round or two with just a putter or a midrange is a great way to evaulate your form, I still play a round like this a couple times a month (There are many other benifits of playing these kinda of rounds also)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:playing a round or two with just a putter or a midrange is a great way to evaulate your form, I still play a round like this a couple times a month (There are many other benifits of playing these kinda of rounds also)

Played a round with five aviars a few weeks ago and was shocked by how much hyzer I could put on them with a good release. Now I'm throwing rocs on holes where I used to throw firebirds.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Re: average max Roc/midrange

Postby garublador » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:43 am

dflaschiii wrote:I can defidently throw a roc 300, and on a day when everything's feeling good, I've gotten it up to 325.

I'm pretty much right with you. I throw Element-X's instead, but I doubt there would be a huge difference in distance if I swtched back to a Roc.

I find a really good midrange shot to be much more fulfilling than a really good driver shot. With a midrange, I feel like I threw it really well and accurately, with a driver I always feel like there was a lot of luck involved.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:49 am

Raw D I can throw 300 but on the course I only get 250-275. I try to get out about once a week to play a round with just a putter and a mid. that seems to help a lot.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Timko » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:19 am

I probably throw my elementX in that 250-275 range on flat ground. For the most part, I like my putter in the 175-200 ft range, and my mids for the 200-275. I'll strech my putters to around 250 and my mids to 325 when throwing downhill though; I feel very comfortable throwing my elements and ELX's quite a long way while still being accurate.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby smurphy29 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 pm

max d on a football field would be 300 ft on a good day. On a disc golf course when I'm throwing well, I can dial in 250ft consistently with an x-wasp. My natural comfortable throw with a mid-range is 250ft. I can go to a football field and get 3 out of 5 disc within 10ft of th 250ft marker.
smurphy29
Tree Magnet

The Midrange..

Postby Texas Made » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:12 am

I know a guy that plays entire courses with just a x- Buzz and a Rhyno putter....
and He does it well, parking the buzz on 400' foot holes...My self, I enjoy the Roc alot more....I can throw this gem consistantly 250' - 275', this would be the KC pro roc, my champion classic roc wich everyone seems to hate, I can throw close to 300'....Many neglect the benifit to using a midrange on a long drive....Its a great Idea for control. Watching them float for sao long ins half the fun....I call the Roc the drunken boxing disc, because you throw it with alot less power. So if your out playing casual with an ice chest full of brew, it gets fun twards the end of the round throwing the disc lightly....My 2 cents...
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:32 pm

I throw my coyote about 325'.

I agree that throwing a mid over 400' is more impressive than throwing a driver over 500' especially if the 400+ roc shot is thrown down a tight fairway.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby trogdor » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:55 pm

280 -320 is my target for throwing my "mids" (Those of you who say a Cobra and Whippet are drivers, go ahead...You're right.)

Below 280, I prefer to disc down. Further than 320, I prefer to disc up. I could probably get the Cobra and Whippet further, but I feel more accurate moving to a Tee-Bird or Predator for these shots.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:12 pm

trogdor wrote: (Those of you who say a Cobra and Whippet are drivers, go ahead...You're right.)

Yup, Cobras and Whippets are definitely drivers. In the early 90's they were max d drivers. With the advances in disc technology they are now relegated to fairway driver status but are drivers non the less.

My definition of a mid is a disc that has a blunt, rounded edge. Those with sharper, beveled edges are no doubt drivers.
Caveat: the champion cobra is much more midish than the original dx design.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Next

Return to General Discussion