Would anyone like to come to Dallas to learn my snap method?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Would anyone like to come to Dallas to learn my snap method?

Postby Cisco » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Do you mean in Dallas or in the surrounding area? I live in plano just wondering where this might take place. Sounds great.
Cisco
Noob

Postby Redisculous » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:34 am

I would make the trip from Wisconsin except that I feel like I would probably be wasting your time. I'm still working on the basics. A video would be great though. I think I've seen a lot of people on here asking when you are going to post a new vid. Even if it was just a vid of you huking a few.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:15 am

There will no class necessarily. Anybody who wants to come by let me know, I will take you out to the field and teach it to you. My schedule is pretty open.

I have had to develop a whole new vocabulary to dissect everything, and I need some work using it. I want to see how people respond.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:18 am

Blink wrote:I'd try to pop by and see what's up. Participate, watch, maybe bring my video camera, though yours is probably better.

You already snap as hard as anybody I know... In fact, your throw is nearly all snap.

I could explain to you how you are doing it, and maybe show you elements you could add to it to get more initial velocity into the snap.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 am

Cisco wrote:Do you mean in Dallas or in the surrounding area? I live in plano just wondering where this might take place. Sounds great.

I live In Richardson at Plano and Campbell road. I would use the soccer field by my house.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 am

Speaking of Dallas, I'll be int he area next week :)
14th - 17th, Most likely on able to play on the 14th. Possibly the 16th. 15th is definitely out of the question.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby erb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 pm

sorry, but what exactly is this snap method you speak of?
did you talk about it in another thread or something?
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:43 am

-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby masterbeato » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:03 am

i would love to stop by
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Flipflat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:09 am

black udder wrote:
emiller3 wrote:Can't make it down there, but I'd be interested in buying a video of it, even if it's just through paypal and you email me the file or stick it out on my iDisk.

I'd be willing to go this route too.

X3
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby sunspot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 am

Assuming that you are able to record this, I think it would be advantageous to record a slow motion, overhead view of what is taking place. Sort of like the view on the Fundamentals video with Climo.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby RustyP » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:57 am

Let us know when this is going to happen, and I'll try to be there too.

Some of the stuff you mentioned last weekend out at Cedar Hill really got me thinking...especially what you said about how the center of gravity (ie - the center of the disc) is what you really want to propel forward in a straight line. I'm not sure how much that ties into snap, but for me it was a totally new way of thinking about my drive. I tried very hard to focus on it when I played at Rockwall yesterday, and I had some of my longest drives ever on the long open holes.

ps - Brad, when are you going to talk Blake into moving to Dallas so we can have both of you guys as disc golf gurus? ;)
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby sunspot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Brad, when are you going to talk Blake into moving to Dallas so we can have both of you guys as disc golf gurus?

And then you all could make a trip to Texarkana and spread the wealth. I'll make sure I will be there if that happens. :D
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:35 pm

RustyP wrote:Some of the stuff you mentioned last weekend out at Cedar Hill really got me thinking...especially what you said about how the center of gravity (ie - the center of the disc) is what you really want to propel forward in a straight line.

Not the snap... the SMASH. The lever arm leads to the SMASH. That is the *jump* the disc makes as it leaves the hand. The disc can be accelarated faster than the hand is moving.

Maybe as powerful as the snap... maybe more.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:48 pm

The whole lever explanation is what made it click in my head, but it is hard to really put such terms into words. I watch a lot of history channel where they explain medieval weapons that used lever principals to hurl projectiles, so it made it a little easier to grasp the concept for me.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion