Deep Water Search

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Deep Water Search

Postby dave9668 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:58 pm

Me and a buddy played a course that I have only played once and he had never played. This is a very wet course and he droped a disc about 15 feet from the bank. So we hoped in and found that there was a steep slope and by the time we got out to where we thought his went it was about 8-10' deep and very murky. After about 45 min. and 3 other discs we gave up the hunt. I wanna go back cause I hate the fact that I know there is a disc there and I cant find it. Anyone have some ideas about a best way to search in the deep nasty water. Im planning on just picking up a waterproof flashlight and hoping for the best.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:32 pm

scuba gear ;-)

but really, its hard if the water is clean enough I would feel around with my hands, but all the ponds around here have so much trash and stuff that can hurt you Its not the best idea to be in the water without waders.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby dave9668 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:40 pm

luckly this pond has a somewhat hard clay bottom without much trash. Just ver y murky and DEEEEEEEP. I usually have to search in much shallower water so I can walk around. But with this one I have to dive down and feel around with my hands.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:48 pm

I am betting thats your best bet, you could ask twmccoy about patterns to make sure you dont skip over parts, but thats probably harder to do underwater
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby redspexxx » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:52 am

at the course at our local college, there is a duck pond in play on 2 holes and it loves to eat discs. duck poop forms a protective barrier around the perimeter of the pond as well as on the surface of the water. razor sharp rocks line the shallow parts of the pond, with about a 20-30+ft drop in the center. and there's leaches. and snakes sometimes. there is a man who gets it cleared with the school to take scuba gear out and clean out the pond of trapped discs. about 150 per trip some people say. and he returns all the ones with names. i'd just really make sure you dont get hurt over $10-20 of plastic...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby deaddisc » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:00 am

If there arent too many sharp rocks then you should go in barefoot. Dive down feet first and feel with your feet for the discs. It takes a little bit to get used to the feel of a disc in your feet, and hot to pick it up with you feet. But once you get it I have found this to be the best way to get discs out of murky deep water. Pulled out well over 150 discs one day with my buddy from one spot; just push your feet into the mud and feel around till you feel plastic.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

disc searching

Postby twmccoy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:54 am

Wow, that's a deep pond. The deepest I've ever gone is neck deep so I could still feel the bottom with my feet. I've never gone under water looking for discs, nor will I in this gross water. There is one course here (badlands) that has a fairly deep pond. Last winter they drained it partially and I was able to search the middle of it and find a lot of old discs that had been out there for years.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby dave9668 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:30 pm

It hit me last night while laying in bed. Get a waterproof flashlight, tie a rope to it. Get goggles and a snorkle and drop the light to the bottom while I stay at the top. Hopefully I will be able to some reflection off any plastic on the bottom. And then go down after it. It will wear you out constantly diving down and treading water. I plan to go out next week on my day off and give it a whirl. I'll let you guys know how it works and any other ideas are greatly welcome.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:44 pm

Ive put a flashlgiht in a ziplock bag before and put it on the end of a stick, with how murky the water was I would have had to been under to see anything with more than 3 feet of water inbetween.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

discs

Postby twmccoy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:58 pm

Yeah, the water I search is usually very murky. Occasionally I can see discs in the middle of the lake on #2 at expo, but as soon as you walk by the mud is all stirred up.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:04 pm

yeah, when the suns just right, and the water was flushed by a rain storm a day or two before and the water/mud is calm, you can kinda see in the water ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby dave9668 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:31 pm

I went out today with a so called waterproof flashlight two glow sticks and goggles. The water was so murky that nothing worked. So I threw it all on the bank, except the goggles, and went about it the ol' fashion way of diving down and feeling with my bare feet and came out with 5 discs one of which was the one I was after. Nothing beats good ole hard work. :D
dave9668
Tree Magnet

disc searching

Postby twmccoy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:11 pm

That there is some hardcore disc finding. Good for you.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

DiscDiver 'Golden Retriever'

Postby overthetopcompany » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:01 am

Z - TEAM Over The Top - http://www.teamoverthetop.com
overthetopcompany
Noob

Postby chris86wm » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:35 pm

how well do those retrievers work?
does it hook the disc somehow?
chris86wm
Tree Magnet