FORE!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

FORE!

Postby Fainaent » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:15 pm

So how many of you have been hit with discs/how often? I was playing a new course last week that has two holes that kinda come back on each other...
I was heading to the basket on the second hole, heard some shouting, looked up, and WHAM! I took a driver right to the sternum... The problem was that the people teeing off were elevated and around some trees, so they couldnt see me, but man it hurt. I've only seen 2 courses, and only one has holes like that where you are in danger of being hit. Is this a common occurance?

The funny thing was, this guy came up to me and asked 'Did you see an orange driver?' I was still gasping for breath, so I just pointed to it for him.
Fainaent
Noob

Postby Eric O » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:07 pm

That's kind of a funny story.

Most of the courses in my area don't have much of an overlap problem. The exception being short pitch & putt courses where there is good visibility.

Even so I have seen close calls and the occasional bean. Once had a guy do his best to bait me into a fight after teeing off prematurely and landing a drive right past his head. Can't see the green from the tee and I thought they had holed out... haven't made that mistake since.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:38 pm

i've been hit a few times. Twice by my buddy throwing an upshot. and a few times by casuals who were playing up on us. they all hurt alot.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:13 pm

I gave my 13 month old daughter a black eye when she walked in front of a 40 ft putt :oops: :( Luckly she didn't hold it against me, my wife on the other hand brings it up each time we go a shoot a round :(
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:46 pm

ouch. I havent been hit.. yet. close a few times. I wasnt there to see it but I have a friend that was walking to the basket on a long hole and heard someone yelling at him. turned around just in time to catch a 300 footer right below the eye. needless to say, he said it really hurt. i'd figure it could easily break his jaw, damn lucky it wasnt a few more inches and hit his nose.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:24 pm

Ive been hit twice, both were my own putter, once I threw it the other I didnt. The first was me hitting myself. It was my first putter, so it was a while ago. Putted into the wind, (howling at least 30mph) I putted, got it nose up, watched the disc float 20' into the air, I turned around to laugh w/ my friends, I turn around, and wam, hit in the face.
Second, I made a decent put (40') I turn around to accept praise only to turn around to find the guy near the basket picked it up and tossed it back to me, right as I turned around, wam, hit in the face.

I know that those stories are not to relevant, but althoug embarrasing I like telling them anyways.

Keep an eye out for discs coming your way, and for people coming your way, wether theyre playing or not, wait or make sure theyre paying attention. one of the first courses in CO (if not the first) was on a college campus (csu) the course lasted a while, but due to damage to lamps and buildings they considered pulling the course. Then a guy got hit in the head, turend out he was a professor. The course was pulled.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Fore!

Postby Frank Sacco » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:42 am

I was struck by a driver in the side of the leg by a "Professional" Woman Disc Golfer playing a tourney. Her disc turned over into a crowd of around 30 people and of course it finds my leg (But I can't win the lottery). The worse thing about that was not getting hit, but this "Professional" or anyone in her group never yelled "Fore" or "Heads Up". And everyone was easily visible from their tee. That's what ticked me off. I took her disc and threw it down the OB road and told her to yell "Fore" next time!

One other time some amateurs were teeing off while my buddies and I were still putting. The disc hit my friend's ankle without a forewarning from the ams. He gave them Lesson 101 on how not to play on someone else's hole and to yell "Fore". Needles to say, he threw their disc in the lake as an extra bonus lesson! Ha!

It's just courteous common sense to yell "Fore" and good golf ettiquette to wait for golfers to finish out their hole!
Frank Sacco
Noob

Postby ambiguous » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:53 am

And nothing is more courteous than throwing someone else's disc in a lake.
ambiguous
Noob

Postby Frank Sacco » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:59 am

My friend threw the disc in the lake out of anger because his ankle bone was chipped and spent the rest of the afternoon in the emergency room instead of on the disc golf course. And this was on our first hole of the day! Not to mention getting whacked with a $400. ER bill. So courtesy wasn't the first thing on his mind when it came to chucking the disc in the lake.
Frank Sacco
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:18 am

I've been hit twice: once in the hand, once in the shoulder. I imagine I will be hit more; the holes do not overlap, however, the locals feel that they have outgrown the course and make up their own tees and holes.

It's not uncommon for us to start behind them, having to wait for the herd to do their victory cheer; then somehow they are mysteriously behind us yelling for us to hurry up.

The most dangerous hole is hole 2 here because they play it as an alternate. My gf had a disc soar about 2 feet over her head. Also, there isn't much of a place to park as they have some throws across the parking lot where they take turns hitting different cars.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 am

I love safari golf!!!
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:56 am

oops, double post.
Last edited by Glock23 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:09 am

I have been hit once. I was standing off to the side of a tee while my friend's wife threw her drive. It was more funny than painful. A good lesson to stand behind the tee while people are throwing. I also almost took a header from a throw, it gets your heart moving pretty quick when you can feel the air from the disc, and hear it go past you.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby bigboi76 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Never been hit, but almost hit a guy. Smoker must have got distracted looking for his disc in the woods. No idea he was there. I had a really bad throw. Landed right next to him. Don't think he even realized until I went over there to pick it up.
bigboi76
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:14 pm

If we're talking about us hitting others, I hit a girl in the ass once. For some reason, she and her family set up a camp of chairs right beside a fairway where I like to throw my disc out of bounds and let it hyzer back.

They were warned that they were in my line of throw but refused to move. It was actually funny and the ass was big enough that she wasn't seriously hurt, but I felt bad because despite being a big girl she was young maybe 15 or so.

I've also had people park on the fairway. I give them 1 warning and then throw.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion