Orc V Wraith edit: Intermediate discs to get.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Orc V Wraith edit: Intermediate discs to get.

Postby Mark56 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Hey. I have been playing disc golf for err, let's see. May-Oct so about 5 months. Anyway I play often and enjoy myself, but it's always nice to get a little competitive and I plan on doing tournments in the spring. For drivers I have used a Valkyrie, which I enjoy, but lost.. :( Right now I have a Star TeeRex that I use occasionaly but I don't really like the glide so I use if sparingly, for the most part I use a Beast (DX) do get my distance with.
Latley I have been feeling the Beast I have is missing something, and lone behold, I threw a friends Champ Orc today, and maybe it was a placebo kind of effect, but that Orc felt great to release. I've also heard good reveiws on the CFT Wraith.
In the mail I got an unexpected paycheck for my last 2 days of lifegaurding over the summer, so it's about 60$. I figure hey, why not. I am concidering buying at least 2 if not 3 discs, perferably the same disc in different weights, so I can observe how that works.

Champ Orc VS CFT Wraith
Last edited by Mark56 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:51 pm

depends on the thrower what kind of distance do you get ect. If you want a wraith I suggest DX or Pro.
Pro orcs were the best, but break in very fast.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Mark56 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:56 pm

Yea. I can usually throw around 275-300ft. I realize that isn't the farthest.

And I just looked on GGGT.com and the don't sell CFT Wraiths or Champ Wraiths so I dunno that kinda halts my efforts, I'll have to go to the store 30min away and look around if I want any.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Mark56 wrote:Yea. I can usually throw around 275-300ft. I realize that isn't the farthest.

And I just looked on GGGT.com and the don't sell CFT Wraiths or Champ Wraiths so I dunno that kinda halts my efforts, I'll have to go to the store 30min away and look around if I want any.

I suggest a 168g-169g DGA Squall, ~172g~ DX Gazelle and a DX Teebird roughly the same weight.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

driver

Postby twmccoy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:04 am

If you're only throwing 275-300', a wraith is a little above your power level. You won't be able to flatten it out enough to achieve a nice straight flight. If I were you I'd look into a pro starfire or a lightish champion orc. Orcs in heavy weights are pretty overstable though. You may also want to look at a lightweight surge.
A beast and orc are fairly similar, and someone with your power level shouldn't notice much difference except the orc will fade more and probably finish shorter than the beast.

And for the record, CFR wraiths are a brilliant disc and I hope innova releases them in regular production someday. My CFR flies every bit as far as a DX and farther than a star wraith. Pro is still king for distance though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:19 am

I agree that the pro wraiths are the longest, I didnt like the star much at all. CFR was the least high speed stable if you have the arm (although some think its the most stable, but they dont have the arm) DX suprised me how stable they are new, broken in I dont see them being any longer than the Pro. I agree with the Pro Starfire, I think a Champ orc may be less contolable and a bit shorter for someone throing in the 300' range.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby dave9668 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 pm

I have been playing for the same length of time and have roughly about the same distance. I have an champion orc 174 and have the ability to throw it pretty well. I have a pro wraith that I have difficulty getting to plane out because I dont yet have enough of an arm. I would suggest trying out a crush in x plastic, about 172. I have one that I love. I can throw it low and straight with minimal fade.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

thankks

Postby Mark56 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I ended up buying a couple of disc's with this mysterious paycheck.

x3 X-Out Starfire (168g, 171g, 174g)
x1 DCG Squall
x1 Wizard Medium
x1 Ching Velocity

Hopefully these will be a fun set of disc's to play with. 2 or 3 of those disc's I could really do without, but when you spend $50 you get a free gift, and I couldn't resist. It ended up costing about $58 haha. dang.

Plus today I got uber mad at my DX Beast (174g). Usually when I throw it, I'll anhyzer it. Well today when I was playing, I happened to be playing quite good. I was setting my PR for the course in fact. I was throwing right on the money, 300ft and beyond on some holes. Anyways on a certain whole my disc decided to just keep gliding right... I guess it didnt want to turn back left. Now on most holes this wouldnt be a problem, but to the right of this hole is a downward slope hill, so It kept on flying, needless to say, I ended up quite a distance away from the hole. Thats when I new I was tired of that disc haha.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:38 pm

I am hoping the starfires are pro starfires?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

yea

Postby Mark56 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:04 pm

yes they are pro, whoever mentioned getting pro, i took their advice and got them.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:26 pm

it was good advice. The Star SL is pretty stable for what your looking for, and the Star Starfire would be a lawn dart. Those (Pro starfires, which are the sl mold) are aswome discs, you should enjoy them.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:32 pm

Glad to hear you got the squall! It's an incredible disc for someone in that power range, and it's a great fairway driver (for me I can shoot almost the same distance as Teebirds with Squalls on similar lines)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Luckyg71 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:46 am

YOu will love the Wizard.

I would suggest maybe a star TL, great disc.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

new discs

Postby twmccoy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:41 pm

Weebl wrote:Glad to hear you got the squall! It's an incredible disc for someone in that power range, and it's a great fairway driver (for me I can shoot almost the same distance as Teebirds with Squalls on similar lines)

Yup, a squall and pro starfires will definitely help your game. I'm betting that you will be able to throw the starfires farther than any driver you've tried yet.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

asd

Postby Mark56 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 pm

thanks and thats what i like to hear

ill tell you how it goes, they are suppose to come in on wend, so ill update you guys around thursday night probably.
Mark56
Noob

Next

Return to General Discussion