Why Join the PDGA?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Why Join the PDGA?

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:good question........I still haven't found a good enough reason to flush some cash down the PDGA toilet

This.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Timko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:You get access to the PDGA DISCussion board which is pretty sweet.

While it's cool to get some feedback from the major disc manufacturers, our little community blows the pdga's board out of the water.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Furthur wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:You get access to the PDGA DISCussion board which is pretty sweet.

While it's cool to get some feedback from the major disc manufacturers, our little community blows the pdga's board out of the water.

Dude everyone on there can throw every new disc 400'+, you saying you don't want to be part of that?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby abcd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Pretty sure that was sarcasm. The pdga board blows outside of talking to DD, just endless bickering about the same things by the same people. I don't see any benefit in joining other than saving $$$ on the non-member fee.
abcd
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
Furthur wrote:

Dude everyone on there can throw every new disc 400'+, you saying you don't want to be part of that?

Lolz. We have a pretty hands off policy as far as moderation goes here. The pdga board, on the other hand, will suspend you for saying anything remotely out of line.
Timko

Postby Timko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Looks like the moderators on the pdga board just chopped apart the Worlds thread. They obviously know very little about moderating a community if it doesn't reflect their horse blinder like agendas.
Timko

Postby Murdoc Loch » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 pm

weather or not you think the PDGA is a toilet, the fact of the matter is, it is our sports official association. Think about ball golf or any other sport for that matter; the PGA, NBA, NFL, NBL, NHL Etc... The People who play those Sports Professionally are apart of their corresponding association/league. what good would it be if michael jordan said "who cares about the NBA, fuck it, it's just basket ball, let's just play for fun, who needs all this NBA bull shit?" what if joe montana said "well i like playing football but i don't see the point of playing for the NFL." If you don't like it than join, campaign, and vote to make a change to sport you love because like it or not the PDGA is our face and we need to be united as disc golfers in the PDGA.

blah blah blah whatever you guys will disagree but the system will always be flawed so just get over it and fucking live with what we have...
Avair | Roc | Gazelle | EL | TL | VL
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby SkaBob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:02 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:blah blah blah whatever you guys will disagree but the system will always be flawed so just get over it and fucking live with what we have...

MY specific concern is the PDGA not doing the job they're supposedly there to do.

I don't give a rat's whatever about their "promotion of the sport", because if they weren't completely useless at that, we'd see disc golf on TV by now, even if it was on EPSN ninety-eleven. I also don't care about their supposed help getting courses put in. We've gotten 8-10 new courses in Michigan since I started golfing 3-4 years ago, and the PDGA hasn't been even the slightest bit involved with any of that. I see involvement from the MDGO and the local clubs in running tournaments and getting courses put in, improved and maintained, and in getting sponsorship and publicity for disc golf...Where's the PDGA?

What I care about the PDGA for, beyond the tourney discount and debating the rules so I don't have to, is ratings tracking. When it all comes down to dust, THAT is their primary purpose in the lives of 99% of their members.

And here I am, paying them a non-trivial amount of money every year, and they're doing nothing but lying to me about fixing problems with my ratings history.

So, if I'm paying them to track my rating, why aren't they tracking my rating accurately? You know if I stop paying, they'll be sure to make my life a pain (even if it's just in making my ratings info on their website less informative and costing me more per tourney) for not living up to MY end of the bargain... Where's my recourse when they refuse to live up to theirs?

You can't be the authority on something if your results are constantly inaccurate.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:10 pm

To my knowledge, if you don't like the PDGA, it's one of the few organizations that is still so small that you can actually be a part of it. Don't like it, volunteer or run for one of the board positions.

At the bottom of it, it's still a board of disc golfers trying to do what they think is best. Do they all agree? No, do we all agree with what decisions they make? No. But it's not as if it's a bunch of people totally disassociated with the sport.

Edit: Yeah, I do realize that some folks have volunteered their time or expertise and been denied. Once you've gone that route, there isn't much you can do and I can understand how frustrating it can be to offer to help fix the problem but not be allowed.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blink » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:13 pm

I still haven't even gotten that over a year later. I can sign in but all threads are locked...
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 pm

SkaBob wrote:And here I am, paying them a non-trivial amount of money every year, and they're doing nothing but lying to me about fixing problems with my ratings history.

So, if I'm paying them to track my rating, why aren't they tracking my rating accurately? You know if I stop paying, they'll be sure to make my life a pain (even if it's just in making my ratings info on their website less informative and costing me more per tourney) for not living up to MY end of the bargain... Where's my recourse when they refuse to live up to theirs?

You can't be the authority on something if your results are constantly inaccurate.

Can you be more specific?

I'm kind of hoping Stiff is typing up a response to this thread right now. I know he has some opinions on the matter.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:weather or not you think the PDGA is a toilet, the fact of the matter is, it is our sports official association. Think about ball golf or any other sport for that matter; the PGA, NBA, NFL, NBL, NHL Etc... The People who play those Sports Professionally are apart of their corresponding association/league. what good would it be if michael jordan said "who cares about the NBA, fuck it, it's just basket ball, let's just play for fun, who needs all this NBA bull shit?" what if joe montana said "well i like playing football but i don't see the point of playing for the NFL." If you don't like it than join, campaign, and vote to make a change to sport you love because like it or not the PDGA is our face and we need to be united as disc golfers in the PDGA.

blah blah blah whatever you guys will disagree but the system will always be flawed so just get over it and fucking live with what we have...

You know it's not like all those associations are the only ones for their sport so it's not like they are the "official" association. They are just the biggest and best promoted. Really the problem is that there is no competition against the PDGA therefor they don't need to improve.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Murdoc Loch » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
Murdoc Loch wrote:weather or not you think the PDGA is a toilet, the fact of the matter is, it is our sports official association. Think about ball golf or any other sport for that matter; the PGA, NBA, NFL, NBL, NHL Etc... The People who play those Sports Professionally are apart of their corresponding association/league. what good would it be if michael jordan said "who cares about the NBA, fuck it, it's just basket ball, let's just play for fun, who needs all this NBA bull shit?" what if joe montana said "well i like playing football but i don't see the point of playing for the NFL." If you don't like it than join, campaign, and vote to make a change to sport you love because like it or not the PDGA is our face and we need to be united as disc golfers in the PDGA.

You know it's not like all those associations are the only ones for their sport so it's not like they are the "official" association. They are just the biggest and best promoted. Really the problem is that there is no competition against the PDGA therefor they don't need to improve.

WTF?

why would the PDGA need competition? hello? what planet are you from? it's not a fucking walmart, it's not a starbucks... it's not a business... competition is not how you improve a non-profit organization, donating, contributing, paying membership fees, voting, these are the things that will improve the PDGA.
Avair | Roc | Gazelle | EL | TL | VL
Murdoc Loch
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jsw » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Murdoc Loch wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:

WTF?

why would the PDGA need competition? hello? what planet are you from? it's not a fucking walmart, it's not a starbucks... it's not a business... competition is not how you improve a non-profit organization, donating, contributing, paying membership fees, voting, these are the things that will improve the PDGA.

If you don't know what you are talking about you shouldn't go on expletive-filled tirades about it. Unless you are me, 10 beers deep.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby abcd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:
SkaBob wrote:And here I am, paying them a non-trivial amount of money every year, and they're doing nothing but lying to me about fixing problems with my ratings history.

Can you be more specific?

I'm kind of hoping Stiff is typing up a response to this thread right now. I know he has some opinions on the matter.

From the 1st page of this thread
I'm a paying member, even in years like this year where I have yet to play more than one sanctioned event...

Can't say I'm particularly impressed.

I've called and tried to get them to put one of my tournaments on my rating 6 or 7 times over the last year since that tournament (the TD spelled my name wrong and I was still waiting to be assigned my number), and every time they say it'll be done, and it's STILL not on my rating.

Beyond that, they send me a magazine that sucks, that I have NO interest in them wasting postage, printing costs, and natural resources to get to me.

But it does save me $10 per sanctioned tournament...so if you plan on playing enough tournaments to cover the price, it's a decent discount.
abcd
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion