Bad games

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:55 am

I hear you. At our local course I play the first 19 pretty consistent, but 20-24 always end up killing my round. The last time I played though, I finished them -1, so hopefully that wil continue.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby mysensesfailme10 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:20 am

i played over 60 holes yesterday (alomst 7 hours at the course). my first time thru the course i shot ok. but the only thing that bothered me was the fact my putts wouldnt not go in. but my next time around i noticed that that problem was gone. so all i can say is if your having a bad day keep at it and if you keep your cool your score will go back down.
mysensesfailme10
Noob

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:35 am

Played in a tourney this weekend - even travelled for it. 1st round I struggled but kept a really good mindset. The second round I played very well - I probably had a chance to finish in the top 3 and maybe win. Then, as I was walking down a high steep bank, the ground gave out. I fell on my ass, got covered in mud, and ended up with an amazing bruise on my ass - my ass even bled. More damaging, though, was that I felt super embarassed (there were a lot of people that saw me take the header). I just kind of lost focus after that. I let frustration creep in, and finished 10 over on my last 5 holes. If I would have had bogies on those holes, I would have been at the top.

Crap - got to get better at keeping an even keel. One of the guys in my group was having a terrible round, but you'd never know it to look at him. He finished pretty strong.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:39 am

Do you guys play on the holes as a par 3? Or whatever the sign at the pad says?
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Texas Made » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 pm

I guess everyone had not so good rounds in the past two days....
I played yeaterday with little love, finished 3 over with 2 birdies and 4 missed Birdie putts. To me a missed birdie is worse than a bogey....
We all have our days.....
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby Terrence » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:50 pm

Furthur wrote:
Terrence wrote:Let's share all of our recent bad rounds to make donromer feel better, shall we?

Well, it made me feel better letting that out. :D Come on, talk through your bad rounds, it's therapudic.

Heh, I suppose that came off as a little sarcastic. I like the idea of a bad round venting thread too.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Timko » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:15 pm

Went out today and made 3 40 footers during my round and hit metal on a 70 footer. My round went better :).
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby presidio hills » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:32 pm

my worst round lately was at toney's mt. golf a few weekends ago. it's a private course on the way to the big mountains in eastern california, about half way up the state. let me say it is THE toughest course i've ever played. it makes de la veaga and stafford look like a cake walk.
my first round was doubles, i did okay.
second round i started hot and was even after 5 holes. after that i fell apart but held on to a 14 over which i was happy with.
third round sunday morning i just had the crappiest round ever. after i knew the course better i just proceeded to get myself in trouble on almost every drive... then the ups wouldn't work out, then by the time i got up to putt i had zero energy left and proceeded to miss. seems like the whole round went like that. even with some good shots in the mix there was just no room for error on that course and it ate me alive.
gosh darnitt! i really wanted to get as close to par as possible that last round... i felt great going into it, played a good first hole and then blammo, crappy round.

oh well. i can always learn something from the bad rounds. namely, playing more conservative and easing up on the drives enough to make sure i hit my lines. why do i always forget?

i did birdie hole 4 twice in my 3 rounds, and parred it once. i just stood on the edge of the tee, threw a light hyzer with my wizard way downhill... watched it flatten and glide straight to the green... man it was a fun shot! 250 ft drop, not too far, and trees and drop offs everywhere.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:01 pm

domromer wrote:Do you guys play on the holes as a par 3? Or whatever the sign at the pad says?

Normally as par 3's, but normally I just count my strokes. I play on a pretty big course (6300-7800 ft depending on tees and pins), and par is anywhere from 57 to 59 according to the signs. The pars on our signs reflect a pro par though; the 600+ footers are 4's, along with 2 of the technical 550's.
Timko

Postby domromer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:02 pm

That happens to me as well,no matter how bad the round I usually learn something
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby swel304 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 pm

played three rounds today. first round (alone) a -2, second and third rounds with a group of friends and shot 5+ on both, just couldnt get in zone after that first round. I know they probly think Im full of it when I tell them I shoot good with them not there too :lol: I dont feel wierd about playing with a group but somehow I never play as good as when I play alone.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby didihitatree » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:23 pm

I hate bad rounds where you're not even playing that bad and you put up a bad score. Of course I probably lie to myself about how well I'm playing, but then I always do that so it ends up not making a difference. :lol:

Two weeks ago I made a little adjustment in my grip and focused a bit more on weight-forward. And it definitely helped. Only, it wasn't like every shot was better. It was like every third shot I'd get it right. So I was constantly trying to figure out "Do I disc down? Am I going to throw a good one this hole and if so, what will happen?" I had drives were overshooting baskets and shots I expected to fade that didn't fade as much. I also had shots that went nowhere because I went with a putter or midrange. It's like I guessed wrong almost every time..

I threw three good shots. Two were on 500 foot holes and all I got for it were two very routine pars. The third was a shot where you can play safe and go around a patch of trees or try to scream a laser through them. I chose option 2 and just clipped the last tree and got a terrible bounce. Both my friends tried to do the same thing and actually shot so bad they went around the tree on the other side and parred the hole.

I finished at +7, which might be the worst I shot all year.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:03 pm

swel304 wrote:I dont feel wierd about playing with a group but somehow I never play as good as when I play alone.

There are times I really get in the zone when I play by myself, and keep going at my own tempo (which is normally absurdley fast), but if I'm having a bad round by myself, I tend to fester. Groups give me something to watch and people to talk to in order to get my mind off the bad holes.
Timko

Postby GetMuddy350 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:20 am

when youre having a bad round is a good time to practice tourney mindset. I ate myself alive during one round (and generally over the weekend) during my last tourney.

If youre playing really bad see how much you can improve during the course of that round. I was lucky that most of my mistakes resulted in par not bogies...

TDK, exactly!! I just want to share a lil story about the best round of my life the other night. (not my best score, my best round).

I'll use everything as a par 3 to make things easier. The first three holes @ my home course are all easy birdies. Hole 4 is 780' long, and I rarely come out of it with anything worse than a 4.

After 5 holes I was three over and everyone on my card was even or under. I was bummed out. I made a bad shot on the next hole (which should be an easy duece), but banged a 35' up-hill putt to save 2, Dueced the next hole to bring me back to +1, and remained there until hole 12. I then parked 12, 13, 14, and 15 (3 of which are 300'+ holes, no easy dueces there), and 3'd out the rest to end my day with a -3 51.

Not only did I keep my composure and save my round, I ended up beating out my card by the end. No matter how bad of a hole (or holes) you have, you NEED to keep your head in the game, you never know when you will string together a few great shots and get yourself back into it.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Bad Rounds....

Postby Texas Made » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:03 pm

On my main course that I play the most I usually shoot -2 to even, sometimes 1 or two over... Friday, I shot 6 under....I was having a blast! then sunday I played the same course and finished 13 over.....How is that possible? I dont know, but it happened.....also like three weeks ago I birdied 8 holes and still finished 2 under....Crazyness....
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion