Bad games

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:11 pm

my worst rounds often follow my best. (stinks for tourneys, although I never play my best there, so my worst usually dosnt show up... except mabey at emporia)
Its building the consistancy that seperates alot of golfers.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Warlord » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:17 pm

Had one of those days today....two rounds in tourney ...18 and 21. Didn't feel "right" all day. Made some beautiful drives, approaches, and putts....but only all three on two or three holes.

It was my first time on this course....tight (very tight) on more than a few. To add to the confusion and frustration, nobody in my group had ever been to this course either. The wooded holes were round-killers with a lot of wasted time looking for the basket and the next tee.

Went OB much more than usual....mostly on open holes....twice on one.

Normally I play Am Masters....but with the tee assignments I was paired with Novices....I'm sure that the slow play contributed to the bad day.

But....in the end....I beat myself.....didn't take time to get my mindset right before making throws....got down on myself after mistakes....and just let myself down.

I did, however, find that I can throw a hell of a tomahawk with a Star Starfire. First time ever trying that one....hurt like hell in my shoulder the first time, but the second one didn't....and both were sweet throws....one parked to 10 feet from around 200.

What do you do after a day like today? Should I play in a mini tomorrow? Should I play a casual round by myself? Should I rest Or.....Should I sell everything and take up another sport? (No....won't do that)
Warlord
Noob

Postby Rooster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:04 pm

im on a 12 day disc bender. yesterday i wasnt so hot but today sealed it. i need a day off. i shot like shit today. all my drives were way short and i couldn't hit a putt to save my life. a days rest must be in order....
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jmammo » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Rooster wrote:today sealed it. i need a day off. i shot like shit today. all my drives were way short and i couldn't hit a putt to save my life. a days rest must be in order....

Thats how my day went today to. I have played 2 rounds a day since thanksgiving day and was doing very well. Today, not so good.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Rooster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:30 pm

oh yeah jammo. i know it i was so hot going into saturday, i posted a second my second PB of the week at a course that always chews me up. +4 at a course where my old best was a +10. then the weekend came and i was hiroshima............
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:47 pm

well..i took the days toilet paper award....cuz my game really $#it the bed. Putting was my ONLY savior. Tree after tree......crappy drive after crappy drive...upshots dropping 50 short. It was like the first time i ever played. SOOOOO frustrating.....

all this happened after i played w/ a pall yesterday and shot decent....sigh
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby BHW » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:15 pm

My last two rounds have stunk....of course I have't had much time to play lately...and missed about two months of playing when my son was born recently. I'm WAY rusty.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby jmammo » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Plus I lost a disc today!! IT was like some up there hates me. "This guy is playing shit today, I think I'll make him loose a disc in some mucky ass creak! It's like rubbing salt in that bastards wounds!"
^damn you god, damn you!
Jack
P.S. Sorry if I offended anyone with that god comment
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Jones » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:02 am

I'll bet money Warlord that you are talking about the Turkey Shoot in West Monroe?

I totally blew it up that day.

I caught some bad luck in the woods the first round on the orginal course, as well as some dirty kicks. A few times I was kicked hard in the shule where I had to dump out the side. I blew my chance for the three by missing a 20 foot putt on the 716 foot hole. I was pin high to the right past the tree and bounced off the chains. That was a sweet hole though. I also had one drive go a whole 50 feet....straight in the dirt. I couldn't tell you the last time that has happened.

At the highwater course I was playing decent but had some bad luck. On the 300 foot levee holes, I landed in the shule 10 feet from the basket but had no clear putt. On the hole with the steps cut out in the hill, I landed my drive on the fourth step from the top and missed my putt right. The very next hole I missed a jump putt low for birdie. I took a monster circle 6 on hole 3. I was going to throw a low skip through the small gap and wacked the tree to the right. The next hit yet another tree, and the very next went OB on the parking lot.

I ended up placing low in 10th. I was one stroke off out of the payout.

I did not like the clear tee markings on the levee, as well as the unclear tee markings in the woods on the original course. Overall, the course was fun and had a pretty good variety of shots. My rocs took a beating as well as my confidence. I hope no-one gets West Nile from all of those mosquitoes.

Overall, all of my mistakes were COMPLETELY mental. I got in a bad vibe that I couldn't shake, and put myself in a very negative state of mind. I picked up for a short amount of time and ended up playing a halfway decent round despite that circle 6. I deserved my place low in the rankings because I didn't have the mindset to win.

I learned hard from that tournament, and hopefully next time I'll be able to stay in a positive state of mind no matter what happens.

How did you end up doing Chris?
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Warlord » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 pm

I'll bet money Warlord that you are talking about the Turkey Shoot in West Monroe?

Was it that obvious?

Not to say that I'm happy that I wasn't the only one.....but I don't feel so alone now.
Warlord
Noob

Postby Jones » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:26 pm

I had a hunch you were talking about it, the way you described finding the tees and such. Then I saw your name on the SN board, which pretty much confirmed it. I'd like to go back to that course and score better sometime, but it being a little ways away I don't see taht happening soon.

Instead, I'll try my best to tear up the Scout Ranch at the Shreveport Ice Bowl in January. That is a tough course. Trying to find some woods around here to practice in.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Warlord » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:45 pm

I'll play it again. Probably by myself....it's a form of therapy for me. My Daughter lives about thirty minutes away....another excuse to visit.

At first I thought some of the holes were unfair....but after getting over it, I see it as a course that can prepare me for just about any situation.

Still.....the worst score I've ever posted.....but playing with the beginners was fun....they were having a ball.

Never played Garland Scout Ranch....heard it was designed by John Houck...must be a good one. It's only 10-15 miles from my house.

See you at the Ice Bowl....
Warlord
Noob

Postby domromer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:04 pm

Just had a terrible game yesterday. Missed a bunch of easy shots, wacked a ton of tree's busted my ass in the snow a whole bunch..I think disc golf is like fishing, in that it's not that shot you make that keeps you hooked, it's the shot you miss.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Jones » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:54 am

Oh man, 10-15 min from your house!!! you are one lucky disc golfer!!!
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Postby OldTyme » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:23 am

Didn't read back all pages, but I find that bad games = bad putting.

Even a nasty drive can be made up w/ a good 2nd shot, but when you have a shot for 2 & take a 4 that can take it's toll on your mental part of the game.

Since I just play & not compete it's easy to forget about the last hole & move on. My buddy however has a bad hole & stays "angry at the discs" (lol) and continues to fall apart.

Sure he may drive 50' farther than me....but I always win. : ) (his attitude, plus lack of mid-game & putting makes it easy to beat him lol)

And isnt everybody w/in 10-15 minutes from their courses? : ) I have 3 w/ in that distance. 4 if you want to go to 20 minutes.
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion