Competition

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Competition

Postby domromer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:16 pm

Seems like most people here are pretty serious into tournaments and such. Are there any people here who just play for the heck of it and aren't really interested in organized competition?
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 pm

color me that.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:37 pm

Yeah, I'm with you about playing for the fun of it--most of the time I don't even keep score while I'm playing if it's just a casual afternoon. But I've played in a good number of friendly random doubles tournaments, and just recently played in two "real" organized tourneys (one sanctioned, one local). Though I am all about having fun first, and competition second, I found the tournaments to be totally a blast. Even though everyone's of course trying to do better than everyone else, people are always supportive of each other, congratulating them on nice shots, and trying to help shake off the bad ones. It's a great way to meet new people, and you can definitely learn a lot from the players that are better than you. I was apprehensive going into my first tourney, not knowing what to expect, but now that I know what they're all about, I'll definitely be playing a bunch next season. If you want to take your game to the "next level", tournaments are the way to go for sure.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dave9668 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:57 pm

I personally enjoy playing for fun and as a stress reliever. I have played in only about 3 local minis and found that the competition was great. Everyone was very supportive of each other the chance to meet the new people that enjoy the sport just as much as you do cant be beat.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:09 pm

timbuktwhom wrote:Yeah, I'm with you about playing for the fun of it--most of the time I don't even keep score while I'm playing if it's just a casual afternoon. But I've played in a good number of friendly random doubles tournaments, and just recently played in two "real" organized tourneys (one sanctioned, one local). Though I am all about having fun first, and competition second, I found the tournaments to be totally a blast. Even though everyone's of course trying to do better than everyone else, people are always supportive of each other, congratulating them on nice shots, and trying to help shake off the bad ones. It's a great way to meet new people, and you can definitely learn a lot from the players that are better than you. I was apprehensive going into my first tourney, not knowing what to expect, but now that I know what they're all about, I'll definitely be playing a bunch next season. If you want to take your game to the "next level", tournaments are the way to go for sure.

thats almost exactly explains me. I have only played a couple tourneys, one sanctioned and they are all a blast, I love playing w/ my peers and enjoy competition. Although I am getting closer to being more engulfed w/ the competition :roll:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby swel304 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:54 pm

Havent played any tourneys yet but I did start playing the doubles game once a week this summer and Im glad I finnally came out for it. Of course everyone wants to win but its not nearly as competition oriented as I thought it would be. even at competitions, people are there because they want to have fun (the majority of them anyway). theres not many sports out there where you opponent will compliment you for every good move you make. You meet alot of nice people, have alot of fun, and get to watch people with better form and technique play, which can help your game alot. get to know the people in your local club and you will have more people to play rounds with, and more lost discs will get back to you :wink: I will definitly be playing some tournaments next spring.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 am

that couldnt be any more true, even in sanctioned tourneys 99% of the people are there for fun (99% because I have met a couple who take things too far and try to take some fun out of it)
Im not sure if I was drawn to disc golf because its an individual sport or because its casual fun, but both are keeping me here. I do know some guys who have been burnt out on tourneys after playing for years and just play casually now (still aswome players and will take me any day).

all in all I dont think theres anyone playing for any reason more than just fun
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Rooster » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:05 am

tourneys are great. always a blast! you meet great people, some of which you will end up becoming good friends with. its just a really fun friendly enviroment. i used to not play tourneys and looking back i don't know why i didn't. get out and play one. you never know you may win some plastic.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:44 am

I've played one, non sanctioned tournament (got 2nd in the novice division) a couple of years ago but that's it. That may actually be the last time I've even kept score. I'm not against playing in tournaments, but I've priortized other activties as being more important on the weekends. I like to play a round or two in the mornings, but I've found that tournaments tend to take longer than I'm willing to spend on a Saturday or Sunday. I can see going to a tournament or two per year in the future, though.

I'm also not too keen on spending all evening at a weekly league event, either. As of right now, I have other things I like to do in the evenings.

I do have an issue with how the PDGA handled collecting my email address when I signed up for the forum, put me on a SPAM list later and then kicked me off while keeping me on the SPAM list, so I'm going to avoid scantioned tournaments if I do play touraments in the future.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby domromer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:34 am

.The reason I ask is, I played my first tournament last weekend and it seemed like nobody was having any fun. When I play w/friends there is always a lot of laughing and hooting going on. I thought I was at a funeral the tournament was so quite. The prize was like 50$ and some discs, but you would have thought people were playing for their lives. It definitely soured my opinion of competition. I play golf for fun and it seemed nobody was having any fun. Lots of cursing and generally pissed of attitudes.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby garublador » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:42 am

domromer wrote:.The reason I ask is, I played my first tournament last weekend and it seemed like nobody was having any fun. When I play w/friends there is always a lot of laughing and hooting going on. I thought I was at a funeral the tournament was so quite. The prize was like 50$ and some discs, but you would have thought people were playing for their lives. It definitely soured my opinion of competition. I play golf for fun and it seemed nobody was having any fun. Lots of cursing and generally pissed of attitudes.

The one I played in was just the opposite. Everyone seemed to have a great time. We were all cheering on the guy who won Novice because he was having such a great round.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby domromer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:59 am

I wish I was at that one.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby presidio hills » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:08 am

i feel like tournaments are a time for everyone to gather and do what they love to do. the vibe of 150 dedicated golfers is a good one. i've only played 5 so far, and i've definitely already had my share of bad apples on cards... but for the most part people are very cool.
i just like being around a bunch of folks who love the sport as much as i do and celebrating it for a whole weekend.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:25 am

domromer wrote:.The reason I ask is, I played my first tournament last weekend and it seemed like nobody was having any fun. When I play w/friends there is always a lot of laughing and hooting going on.

Well, being that's it's a tourney you can't be laughing or hooting too loud if there are other groups close by on adjacent holes.

Having said that tournament play should be fun. Everyone should be rooting for each other to play well. I think some players deprive themselves of fun because they put a lot of pressure on themselves to do well and anytime they miss a putt, shank a drive or go OB they act like the world is crashing down.

Good experienced tournament players have fun regardless of their performance. If you're not having fun you're unlikely to shoot well. I really enjoy tournaments and have made many friends traveling around and meeting players with different strengths and playing styles.

All in all I've found most of the players gritting their teeth or slamming their bag after an errant shot tend to be ams new to tourney play. On the east coast I'vr played with hundreds of pros and I've only encountered only a couple that were overly serious. Not to pick on anyone but most of the idiots were touring pros from the west coast.

Generally most players who act like the world rests on their shoulders on every shot typically burn out and dissappear after awhile.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:29 am

domromer wrote:.The reason I ask is, I played my first tournament last weekend and it seemed like nobody was having any fun. When I play w/friends there is always a lot of laughing and hooting going on. I thought I was at a funeral the tournament was so quite. The prize was like 50$ and some discs, but you would have thought people were playing for their lives. It definitely soured my opinion of competition. I play golf for fun and it seemed nobody was having any fun. Lots of cursing and generally pissed of attitudes.

Man, that sucks that your first tournament had to go that way. I guess some will be like that just by the law of averages, but thats far from what my experience has been. I imagine if just a few people have bad attitudes, it can bring the whole group down. At the sanctioned one I was at, there was one dude that was bitching and moaning the whole time, seriously, I never heard a positive comment come out of his mouth all day. I was afraid that I would get stuck on his card, but luckily, he completely sucked (his BEST round of three was +15, for reference, I didn't think I played well at all, and my worst was +5). But yeah, anyway, hopefully your first experience didn't completely ruin it for you. I'd say give it another go, as you can see by people's responses here, by and large they're a great time.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion