Night Golf Disc Pictures ****Image****

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Night Golf Disc Pictures ****Image****

Postby Glock23 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 am

My materials came in - see below for images. Any input appreciated. Feel free to continue to suggest discs to use for night golf. Thanks - Gabe
Last edited by Glock23 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Rooster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:20 am

Buzzz
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mothrows » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 am

Rooster wrote:Buzzz
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby roadkill » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:42 am

Goblin or Coyote (dx)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:50 am

wizard, but there are no clear ones to put leds in... Z Comet would make a good glow golf disc (and you could fit ALOT of glowsticks/leds in/on it...

Closest thing to a wizard you could use for glow would be a Crystal Challenger
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:06 am

I use a white Wizard, but I do it the hard way. Put packing tape down on the disc, and then a square of paper towel. Cut a glow stick and pour some onto the paper towel, and then put another layer of packing tape on top. Sounds complicated, but is actually pretty quick. Do this on the top and the bottom, and you're good to go. Of course, if I was playing glow every day, I'd probably want to find a better way.

When I play glow, I carry the Wizard I just described above, and then a Super Glow Wizard as well. Even when fully charged, the Super Glow is hard to see, but I prefer it for putting because it doesn't ruin my night vision like the big blotch of glow stick crap does.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Craig » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:20 am

How big of a packing tape square and how big of a paper towel square? How long does it last? How much does it affect the flight? Finally, any reason why you coudn't use a different color disc?

Sounds like a cool idea, and I have my first ever glow game tomorrow. I was planning on just buying a glow aviar, but the glowing paper towel thing sounds cool.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby bigs348 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:47 pm

Craig,

You can use any color disc, but I find white to be the best, because the glow will reflect somewhat off of the white color and make the whole thing easier to see.

I put 3 strips of packing tape down across the whole width of the disc, so the taped area ends up being about 5 inches x the width of the disc. It doesn't need to be this wide, but I prefer that to not having enough tape and having the slippery glow crap leak out onto my disc.

A 3 x 3 paper towel square is more than enough for one side, and it doesn't require too much glow. I just cut a glow stick and squeeze drops onto it. Usually 7 or 8 drops is more than enough -- enough to get the square somewhat covered without soaking through it. Too much glow can often leak out of the sides of the tape (and when you throw sometimes it'll splatter and look like Predator blood). It will stay lit for 4 to 5 hours easy, and I haven't noticed much change in flight. Sometimes, if I have too much tape on, it affects the grip of my thumb.

The tape I put over the square is just enough to cover it and make a good seal. I put the tape over, and press down on the edges of the tape, but I don't press down on the area where the paper towel is. Then the glow acts like a toothpaste tube and shoots it out one side or at least spreads it.

Much of it is trial and error -- finding out how much tape you really need, how much glow is sufficient, etc. I don't play glow often, but I've had no problems with this other than it sometimes being too bright. You want it to be bright enough to see from far away, but not so bright that it ruins your night vision when you're trying to line up a putt (and believe me, it's easy to do this). That's why I use a Super Glow Wizard for putting, because it's a very soft glow. Not easy to see, but doesn't affect my eyes when putting.

Good luck.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Well the materials I ordered finally came in. Here are some photos. The first shows a DX Leopard in daylight with the flash of the camera on. The second is with the flash off. It is very, very bright. The only modification to the disc is two small pin holes in the middle of the disc for the leads to go through. The light is very small and doesn't affect the flight, it is powered one 2032 lithium battery that is affixed to the bottom of the disc. I did some tests that included throwing the disc into a concrete wall at full power with no effect to the light (the disc wasn't as lucky, that is what the gouge on the bottom is from). The best part is the light will glow for typically 2-3 weeks straight on one battery. If you want to use the disc for a daylight game, just remove the battery and lamp, and you are set to go. What do you guys think? It could be done to any disc, I am planning on putting one on a Z Buzzz and playing a round tonight.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Amateur » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:23 pm

That is pretty darn sweet. Post some pics of you Z Buzzz too. I bet that sucka will just look alive.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Glock23 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:38 pm

I put a few more in. I have one on a Z and a D Buzzz. It really lights up the Z, and when you take the light out the holes reseal so you can't even tell there was anything on the disc. If anyone is interested in having some for your discs just send me a pm. You should get about 330 hours of light off of one. I have three that I am timing to get an exact reading on how long they will last.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kvanorsdel » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:34 pm

can you post pics of the bottoms of the discs?
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:34 pm

I posted some new pics in the for sale forum.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion