I GOT ONE! warning:image

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I GOT ONE! warning:image

Postby swel304 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 pm

Got my first ace today! 267 foot tunnel shot with a 165 gazelle. It had to be the straightest shot I have ever thrown. Here is a pic of the hole, taken from the pro tee. I circled the am tee (where I tossed from) and put a dot where the basket is. Not only my first ace but the first one I have ever seen thrown, I still cant stop smiling :D Now Im scared to throw the gazelle for fear of loosing it, guess I'll have to get another one.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby jmammo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:55 pm

Very nice. looks like a nice hole and nice area
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:59 pm

thats a sweet ace. I get so jelous of some of the peoples pics posted, makes our tight courses look alittle open ;-).

Congrats on the ace, and that hole almost looks easier from the pro tee. Good luck hunting the next one!
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby swel304 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:10 pm

~takes a bow~ thanks!
The pro tee is just longer really, its about the same shot otherwise, though there is now a huge tree down right in front of the basket that makes it even tighter. Our course is pretty nice. Tight holes but not alot of huge distance ones (unless your playing the pro tees) so it kind of evens out. check it out at http://www.huntingtondiscgolf.com and if your ever coming through the area make sure to stop and play it! I havent met an out of towner yet that didnt really enjoy our course.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:07 pm

i still got my first ace disc. i made sure to put it away because i tend to lose discs sooner or later... even if it's a year and a half later. that first ace disc will feel good to look at, and you can get another gazelle (hopefully it was a dx).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jwt4412 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:12 pm

Nice Shot... man does that look tuff!
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby swel304 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:16 pm

yeah its a dx. actually I have been in a dilema about picking a control driver as I like all the ones I have but dont really need to carry four molds that do about the same thing (gazelle, xl, jls, cyclone). I had pretty much decided today to go with the xl, but for some reason on #12 I pulled out the gazelle... now Im confused again :lol: I think I will probly still go with the x xl though, Im really getting to prefer the x plastic.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Congratulations! My advice is to hang the disc. I didn't hang my first ace and I ended up losing it. :(
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Terrence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:28 pm

It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? How did you play the rest of your round? My game fell apart completely after I hit my first ace. I didn't care, I had just hit an ace!

Also, another vote for holding onto that ace disc. I keep my pro-D Buzz (1st and second aces) on my wall.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby swel304 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:35 pm

you know, I havent played a decent round in three weeks. Today was no different, my first round was terrible. Second round was going decent, but nothing to get excited about. Then I aced #12 and suddenly I was playing good again. It broke the bad mental attitude Ive had from a slew of bad throws and awful putting. After the slump I have been in I am hopeing it carries over to my next golf day!
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:47 pm

Ahh, that makes sense. I'll often be going through a putting slump. Chaining out, high putting, low putting, all from 15-20ft. Then I'll cash a 30 footer and suddenly the shorter putts fly right in the basket. :roll:
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby -Frank- » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 pm

swel304 wrote:yeah its a dx. actually I have been in a dilema about picking a control driver as I like all the ones I have but dont really need to carry four molds that do about the same thing (gazelle, xl, jls, cyclone). I had pretty much decided today to go with the xl, but for some reason on #12 I pulled out the gazelle... now Im confused again :lol: I think I will probly still go with the x xl though, Im really getting to prefer the x plastic.

In my opinion, the answer to your question is answered right here. Put the Gazelle on your wall and throw the XL. If you decided already, you should probably go with it. Plus, that ace throw might have been all skill and not because it was the Gazelle. But I can see how you'd want to throw the same plastic that got you that first ace.

Still looking for my first. Beat the crap out of my Pro Wraith hitting poles, had some near misses with my Z Buzzz, but no chain hits yet. I think once I get the control driver dilemma solved and master the Star TL I will have a better chance.
-Frank-
Noob

Postby swel304 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:10 pm

oops I posted the length for the pro tee :lol: My ace was from 222 ft. not that it makes me any less happy about it. I played again today and left the gazelle at home. The XL is really working out for me. Its longer and not as easy to flip.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:40 am

Congrats. I agree that you should retire the disc. I have three ace discs that I keep on the mantle. Jk Pro Valk, Champ Valk, and DX Roc.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Timko » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:51 am

I'm not a big fan of retiring ace discs. I've got 2 ace discs that aren't in my bag, but that's because one of them sat up in a tree for about 8 months and became totally flippy, and the other just became a bit to squirrelly. I have 2 putters in my bag with aces, and if I took them out, I'd be totally lost. I've lost 2 drivers and 2 mids with aces; discs are made to be thrown. You don't need the disc to remember that moment.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Next

Return to General Discussion