Materials better in cold?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Materials better in cold?

Postby bigboi76 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 am

What are some of the disc materials that do better in cold temps? I've noticed some of my discs are extemely hard to get a solid grip on because they become so slick when the temps dip into the 30s. I know my CEs still grip pretty good, but it came obvious I need different materials for cold temps as the majority of my bag was worthless because they got so slick.
bigboi76
Noob

Postby roadkill » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:33 am

I think pro plastic is the easiest to grip in the cold. DX is okay also.

Champion, Z and Q plastic are the worst in cold or wet conditions as far as grip is concerned.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:02 am

gateway's s plastic is probably the best cold weather plastic there is.

dx/pro d are next best.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby bigboi76 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 am

Thanks. I'll look for some new ones this upcoming week.
bigboi76
Noob

Postby Amateur » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:00 pm

The Star plastic that is SUPER grippy is great in the cold. The less grippy, firmer Star plastic sucks in the cold.

The flexability and gumminess of a disc is what contributes to grip in cold weather regardless of plastic type IMO. I have a Z Surge that is super easy to grip in the 30's and I have a Star Starfire that feels horrible, it doesn't give at all.

Gateway's S plastic is nice in the cold. At least my Wizard is. It's just too bad that Gateway can't make a driver that appeals to everyone.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:07 pm

It's just too bad that Gateway can't make a driver that appeals to everyone.

agreed, but the inferno looks promising so far. to me it was like crossing a valkyrie with an x avenger
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Amateur » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Does it not have a huge lip still? I lose consistency of my grip and rip (I am forced to modify my grip) on any disc with 19mm+ lip. And I also only consistently throw around 330ft, which you would think is not enough power to get it up to speed.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:55 pm

it is wider (similar to a wraith in width) however it is also shaped differently that made it easier for me to grip. I perfer narrower rimmed drivers.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby -Frank- » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Amateur wrote:The Star plastic that is SUPER grippy is great in the cold. The less grippy, firmer Star plastic sucks in the cold.

The flexability and gumminess of a disc is what contributes to grip in cold weather regardless of plastic type IMO. I have a Z Surge that is super easy to grip in the 30's and I have a Star Starfire that feels horrible, it doesn't give at all.

Yeah, I think I've gotten lucky with the two Star discs I have. My Star TL is pretty soft and grippy, but I bought a used Star TeeRex yesterday (almost brand-new, pink, for only $5) that feels perfect in terms of grip.

The only weather I've been playing in in the last month is cold weather, and I find Z plastic to be great, mostly because of the writing on the inside of the rim which I use for a grip point. It is especially good on my Flashes and XS, which are nice and gummy. Champ is a little less cold dependable without the raised letters, but they are mostly gummy, which helps grip. X and Pro both are great. DX is good, but I don't use much of it, excepting my Firebird.
-Frank-
Noob

Postby The Clergyman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:02 pm

Gateway. Gateway.

I play in those conditions as of this time of year and Gateway does not slip!
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:15 pm

If gateway has ever had a one up on everyone its definately plastic. S is by far the best baseline plastic, while most blends of E have been similalr to what innova and discraft are just now making (star)

as for playing in the cold, I use the same discs, just keep my hands warm, and If I know I plan on using a certian disc next I put it in my shirt against my stomach.... it works... that and I just love my plastic...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigboi76 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:53 am

Ok, I'll have to check out gateway. Discraft is made locally so we have plenty of those around and Innova is well, Innova so they're all over too. I've never even heard of Gateway until this site.
bigboi76
Noob

Postby swel304 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:10 am

I saw a prototype E blurr this weekend, first E plastic I had seen. It seemed really grippy compared to other premium plastics like star. very nice.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Return to General Discussion