Cold Weather distance

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cold Weather distance

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 pm

Now that the temp has dropped thirty degrees I have proably lost 40-50 feet of max distance.

The discs simply do not glide out as well.

The air is definately thicker, and I know this reduced the yardages of golf balls about 10% here in Texas from the hot summer months to the fall.

Anyone else get this or I am I just getting old...
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Amateur » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:49 pm

I've played in around 40 degrees here recently and I couldn't agree more. My max distance with overstable stuff is down but my understable max D is up. I rely on glide to get me there now and not power.

I didn't think my Star Sidewinder would be longer than my Star Starfire, but I just can't throw the Starfire as long as I did 4 weeks ago.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby roadkill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:18 am

No doubt you lose distance in colder temps. When the ground freezes I throw more rollers for distance because rollers can go a long ways when the ground is like concrete.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Seee????

My discs are all more low speed overstable and shorter. It is because the density is up. Yet, at elevation the discs are more overstable?

I am confused.

All I know is this. More air density means more "air" in the "air". Discs go shorter due to drag. Everything else, I am not so sure there are hard and fast rules. Each wing would behave differently.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby deaddisc » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:34 pm

I think that the drop in distance is not just due to the disc flight in the air, but also the effect that cold has on a person. Off the top of my head; effects grip, fluidity of throw, and footing. Also it is harder to stay loose in the cold, thus to me it seems like I am not at peak performance level as compared to summer golf.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby superq » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:38 pm

I dont see a big difference in the air as much as I have a hard time getting my body to do what it needs to.

Layers provide great warmth but they hinder movement...
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby roadkill » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Seee????

I am confused.

Obviously!

To maximize distance you do want to maximize glide. So therefore you would choose less stable discs in colder temps and/or high elevations.

Just because discs are more stable at altitude doesn't mean all your discs will be shorter. At 15,000 ft your predator, firebird, wraith and z avenger will likely be shorter than at sea level. However discs that would normally be too understable at sea level may go much farther at 15,000 ft.

So when you go to Aspen for Kiss the Sky next year pack your beat to heck pro starfire, sidewinder and roadrunner and leave the banshee and z pred at home.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:53 pm

roadkill wrote:

I am confused.

Obviously!

To maximize distance you do want to maximize glide. So therefore you would choose less stable discs in colder temps and/or high elevations.

Just because discs are more stable at altitude doesn't mean all your discs will be shorter. At 15,000 ft your predator, firebird, wraith and z avenger will likely be shorter than at sea level. However discs that would normally be too understable at sea level may go much farther at 15,000 ft..

Ha Ha!!!

At elevation your discs will likely be longer due to the lower density, period... All of the new distance records pretty much prove that...
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:04 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:At elevation your discs will likely be longer due to the lower density, period... All of the new distance records pretty much prove that...

Acutally, all the new distance records suggest is that you can throw farther at elevation with a tailwind. It doesn't really prove anything about density at all, but I'd agree that it probably has something to do with it.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby trogdor » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:00 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
roadkill wrote:

I am confused.

Obviously!

Just because discs are more stable at altitude doesn't mean all your discs will be shorter. At 15,000 ft your predator, firebird, wraith and z avenger will likely be shorter than at sea level. However discs that would normally be too understable at sea level may go much farther at 15,000 ft..

Ha Ha!!!

At elevation your discs will likely be longer due to the lower density, period... All of the new distance records pretty much prove that...

Are the distance records on the World Flying Disc Federation site not up to date? If this information is dated, please direct me to the current records.
http://www.wfdf.org/index.php?page=records/index.htm wrote:Distance
Outdoor Distance:
Open: 250.00 m Christian Sandstrom (SWE) 4/26/02 El Mirage, CA
Women: 139.00 m Jennifer Griffin (USA) 6/28/05 San Diego, CA

Elevations (quick google search): 2884 for El Mirage and <300 feet for San Diego.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm

I do not understand.

2884 ft seems pretty high to me. Dallas is at 500 feet.

I was just commenting on the fact that many of the new records have been set at elevation. Stokely complained in his book that many of the old records were more impressive becasue they were thrown at more typical elevations (including his own).
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby trogdor » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 pm

Aha!

Elevation is a relative term.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001792.html (It's on the internet, so it must be true...) has a listing of Highest, Lowest and Mean elevations in the US and shows the mean for the US at 2500 feet.

For you flatlanders, 2900 is high. For us mountain folk, 2900 is low.

I think Stokely lived in Ft. Collins, CO at the time. Did he travel down to a lower elevation or were his records set in CO?
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

temps

Postby twmccoy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:37 pm

deaddisc wrote:I think that the drop in distance is not just due to the disc flight in the air, but also the effect that cold has on a person. Off the top of my head; effects grip, fluidity of throw, and footing. Also it is harder to stay loose in the cold, thus to me it seems like I am not at peak performance level as compared to summer golf.

I agree with this. When its cold I don't throw as far either. I feel it is more related to not being able to grip the disc as well as in warm conditions. Also my arm just doesn't seem to have as much zip in the cold either. I play most of my disc golf in the winter and do actually throw pretty well, but on the really cold days my distance will go down.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: temps

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:03 pm

twmccoy wrote:
deaddisc wrote:I think that the drop in distance is not just due to the disc flight in the air, but also the effect that cold has on a person. Off the top of my head; effects grip, fluidity of throw, and footing. Also it is harder to stay loose in the cold, thus to me it seems like I am not at peak performance level as compared to summer golf.

I agree with this.

Well...me too...in every respect, not just disc golf.

I am impared in the winter compared to the summer most of the time.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Texas Made » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:05 pm

All I know is that since it has got cold, I seem to have more luck with the Leopard, because of its high glide....I sould see where the air density would change durring colder temps becase cold air sinks.
It makes sense to me.
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion