Cold Weather distance

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:15 pm

Distance
Outdoor Distance:
Open: 250.00 m Christian Sandstrom (SWE) 4/26/02 El Mirage, CA
Women: 139.00 m Jennifer Griffin (USA) 6/28/05 San Diego, CA

these are correct, except for the date on Griffin's throw.

that was performed i believe in 1996 w/ a wham-o voyager (could have been 97-98, but was definitely before 2000).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby adidadg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:30 pm

Blake_T wrote:
Distance
Outdoor Distance:
Open: 250.00 m Christian Sandstrom (SWE) 4/26/02 El Mirage, CA
Women: 139.00 m Jennifer Griffin (USA) 6/28/05 San Diego, CA

these are correct, except for the date on Griffin's throw.

that was performed i believe in 1996 w/ a wham-o voyager (could have been 97-98, but was definitely before 2000).

the WFDF website does say it was in '05. I think thats right cause i remember reading about it, it was set with a Pro Starfire.
adidadg

Postby Weebl » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:11 am

I don't believe discs fly more stable when cold or that they have less glide, all I know is to take out of my bag my stiff DX plastic and that my body starts seizing up when it's cold and like superq was saying more layers can help warm it up but restrict movement.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

cold distance

Postby Toney » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Some mentioned the fact the cold tends to slow down the body. No dobt air densities are culprits to. Also important is that when you are cold, you tend to wear more clothing, which slows down the body turns. When I play golf, I put my wallet, keys, phone in the bag, since I feel they add up to extra weight that would interfere my body turn. Even my watch I'll take off because i figure it is just another 30 grams that gets added to the 170 grams that I'm trying to throw.

I suspect that the added weight is more significant than air densities. Now, if you wear t-shirts in a blizzard, like some do, than the density arguement might be stronger. But I would suspect that a t-shirt only person is also slowing down because of the cold muscles, not matter how young they may be.
Toney
Noob

Postby domromer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:17 pm

it was 15f today while I played. Everything seemed to fly a lot shoter, even puts. Which is odd, because when I miss I usually over throw.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Re: cold distance

Postby garublador » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:35 am

Toney wrote:I suspect that the added weight is more significant than air densities. Now, if you wear t-shirts in a blizzard, like some do, than the density arguement might be stronger. But I would suspect that a t-shirt only person is also slowing down because of the cold muscles, not matter how young they may be.

I think that may be more true for those that live in warmer climates and complain when it gets down to 60 F. ;) I went out when it was 40 F out last weekend and when I was throwing well (it took a round for me to figure out I was strong-arming it again) the discs were flying as far as ever. I even threw 20' past a hole I've never reached before.
garublador
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to General Discussion