Just a simple question.....kinda

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Just a simple question.....kinda

Postby jmammo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:42 pm

Sorry for making this thread but it had to be done and maybe it can help someone else who knows???
I am 15 right now I will be 16 in June of '07. I am taking drivers ed. in the winter, meaning my parents have to drive me everywhere. When my dad took me to my local course last weekend he was kinds like o......ok whatever. He supports me but I can tell he doesn't want to take me whenever I want to go. My mom just flat out hates the idea because she always thinks the "bad" people are going to get me. So seeing as how I cannot drive yet and my dad works all the time. What is the best way to get to the course for someone of my age? Since my parents do not want to leave me alone they must walk the course with me and just look dumb. I know no one else that plays or is even interested. And I don't think my mom would want me driving around with someone I met at the course.
Any ideas???
Jack
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:56 pm

Jack,

Leagues.

That would be the only way I would leave my teenager on a course - My oldest is 10.

I think if he was 15, I'd let him go and not worry if it were leagues...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby chris86wm » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:44 pm

Get your parents into the game. Im 20 and I have no problem with my parents playing with me. My mom only throws the disc about 50 ft but she still loves to come out and play. Dad doesnt play ,but just enjoys walking the course. I have seen tons of families playing together on the course and there is nothing wrong with that. Dont worry about looking dumb, because one you dont and two no body even cares, they are all just trying to have fun.

As a 15 year old, there are alot of destructive things that you could be getting into. Disc golf should be the least of your parent's worries.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Terrence » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:53 pm

Leagues are the way to go. One of the guys who runs the local DG organization is also a youth pastor (and a damn good disc golfer). He'll take young kids with him, play all on one scorecard and the drunk potheads all play on thier cards.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby redspexxx » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:56 pm

find a friend at school that plays. and can drive.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby didihitatree » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:58 pm

I don't know if there are any leagues during winter; I know we don't have any where I play. But maybe there's a local disc golf club/organization near you. I'm sure their members would be happy to go throw some rounds with you. Plus, your parents could meet some of them to allay their concerns about you hanging out with strangers.

Not only that, but active involvement with a community organization is a plus if you're thinking about college. Especially since these groups typically do some good work by picking up the trash and promoting the sport in the community. You could end up getting involved a bit in local politics trying to get another DG course or running a camp for underprivileged kids to learn to play-- I know my group does those things. That kinda stuff looks good on a college app., especially compared to sitting around at home doing nothing because you have no ride.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:13 am

I cant say disc experience, but when I couldnt drive (15-16) I rode my bike 45 minutes (at a quick pace) to downtown denver to skateboard at the skatepark... although my parents trusted me (and had reason too)... but boy did they bitch and moan the times they had to come pick me up because I hurt myself bad enough that I couldnt ride home :roll: and the drive was as long as the bike ride because traffic (i rode on a bike path w/ underpasses at every road).
I will say that the day I turned 16 I had a job so I could afford car insurance and buy a car w/ in 2 months of turning 16 :D
I think leagues and family play are the best ideas if your parents arent too keen on you taking public transportation or even being there alone.
another thought is if there isnt leagues, find some local club members, or just meet some decent people on the course and plan to play w/ them, and if your parents need to meet them, there shouldnt be a problem, theres alot of good guys out there, and theyre not hard to find.

(and if youre thinking yeah, but how long ago were you 15? well the answer is it was this millennium...)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby kvanorsdel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am

I say check with your local club and find out about events in your area. Looking at your location it seems this is where you should find some helpful info

http://www.jolietdiscgolf.com/
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I
I think leagues and family play are the best ideas if your parents arent too keen on you taking public transportation or even being there alone.

Hey kid, tell your Mom, maybe she was wishing for a girl and now she might be making up for all those years of wishing by treating you like one? :lol:

Seriously, you are 15, you could be drafted to carry a machine gun and kill people in three years (if they had to reinstate the draft, of course---which they might do if we invade Syria or Korea)

I think you can handle a bike ride to the local park to play frisbee!

Maybe you could get a concealed carry permit to protect yourself against the "bad people" who will overpower you in broad daylight and ass rape you.

WTF is this world coming too?.......Sorry....the pussification of America is really starting to get on my nerves....

I would advise you spend your allowance on a basket. Then you can take it to the school yard and make your own course and practice. I think this is fun and do it a lot.

Good luck kid. :wink: Get an apartment as soon as possible, you will have a lot more fun. :twisted:
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Bradley,

Joliet is surrounded by Interstates - 6 and 8 lane Interstates... it is not as simple as a 15 year old getting his pussified ass on a bike and getting to the park...

Once a mother starts thinking about something... all hell breaks loose. I am sure if a course was in walking distance - the issue of being alone would never even come up.

But 45 minutes away... what mother wouldn't be racing in her imagination?

Some of us were just hatched... I guess.

Sometimes... nevermind.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:06 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:Joliet is surrounded by Interstates - 6 and 8 lane Interstates... it is not as simple as a 15 year old getting his pussified ass on a bike and getting to the park...

Hey, I was born in Joliet. That's a tough one.

I am not saying THIS kid is pussified at all, I am just saying that sometimes these kids might need to do a self imposed cock check in today's paranoid world.:wink:

Anyway, I suggested the kid get a basket and play close to the house for a while. Put the basket under a bunch of tress and makes tees all around. With clever placement it is easy to make 3-4 imaginary holes without moving the basket. You could get one of those baskets that goes in a a bag so it is easy to carry.

It is either that or get a bike and stay off the interstate! If the Mom doesn't like it, maybe don't tell her...

...and I know what I said here sounded harsh. For that I apoligize, but I have no concept of how kids are raised today.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jmammo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:Bradley,

Joliet is surrounded by Interstates - 6 and 8 lane Interstates... it is not as simple as a 15 year old getting his pussified ass on a bike and getting to the park...

Once a mother starts thinking about something... all hell breaks loose. I am sure if a course was in walking distance - the issue of being alone would never even come up.

But 45 minutes away... what mother wouldn't be racing in her imagination?

Some of us were just hatched... I guess.

Sometimes... nevermind.

AMEN!
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby chris86wm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:09 pm

You need to sit her ass down and have a talk with her. As a parent she should support and encourage you in whatever activity you choose to participate in. If this means that she will have to walk her ass away from the tv for one afternoon a week to take you out to the park, then so be it. She chose to be a parent and thats what parents do. This "waste of time" activity, could keep you away from doing drugs, crime, and being a lazy ass playing video games all day.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby swel304 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:10 pm

the next time they wont take you or refer to disc golf as a waste of time just say, "well ok, I guess Ill just go smoke pot and get my girlfriend knocked up with the rest of the teenagers, maybe vandalize some property if I have time left, or pollute my mind with some violent video games" :wink: I dont have kids, and my parents were alot more easy going when I was your age, but as stated before, there is alot worse things you could be doing than getting exersise and fresh air doing something you enjoy that isnt illegal. Maybe if you try offering to do some extra chores or something in exchange for some guaranteed play time every week they will see that its important to you and take a little more interest.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby chris86wm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:13 pm

ps: dude, check out some of the DIY practice baskets posted on the forums. just get an old tire, some chains , wood boards and there ya go you have a course in your back yard.
Last edited by chris86wm on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion