solo putting game

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

solo putting game

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm trying to come up with some kind of game to play when I do my putting practice that will simulate some of the pressure of playing in a round. Anyone with ideas? I'm thinking something that involves some kind of reward for "winning" would be great so that something will actually be riding on my little game. I'm open to any and all suggestions.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Terrence » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm

Find a basket with elevation, trees, bushes, etc nearby. Toss your putters off into some of the difficult to putt areas around the basket. Now go sink every one of them! I find this helps me build the pressure a little bit since I can't just keep firing from the same standing position until I get the power and pitch just right.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby chris86wm » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:26 pm

my routine:
Place 4 discs (or any other marker you choose to use) in a line each one farther away from the basket than the last.
Take 4 putts from the closest position and sink 4 of 4.
Proceed to the next disc and putt 3 of 4.
Next 2 of 4, and the last 1 of 4.
Once you reech the end, start back in reverse order (1-4, 2-4, 3-4, and 4-4)

You have two tries to make the required number of discs.
Example - on the second disc if you make 2 of 4 instead of 3 of 4 then you have one more shot at making 3 of 4 without being penalized. If you fail the second time you have to go back to the disc you just came from. In this case it would be the first disc.

This routine can be customized to fit your game, and it adds alot of presure when putting.
Last edited by chris86wm on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:53 am

i think that to get the mentallity of putting in a round during practice you should cut your disc selection down to one disc.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Discoman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:56 am

My local coursee has a number of markers set up at various distances from the putting practice basket, obviously you can choose our own at any basket with various lies etc. I have been taking my practice putters around to each marker, and placing them on the ground next to me(I only mention this because I see people "Practicing" with a stack of putters in their hand? When do you putt like that in a round?) Par is one for every Putt 5 footer to 50 footer and you stopcounting when you put the disc in the basket unless its a headache Putt so you Putt your "Gimmies". Keep tack of your score and try to beat your best. You get penalized for long comebacks, presuured to make routine putts and rewarded for great efforts. Also it isn;t over till it;s over Just like golf!
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:20 am

Discoman wrote:I have been taking my practice putters around to each marker, and placing them on the ground next to me(I only mention this because I see people "Practicing" with a stack of putters in their hand? When do you putt like that in a round?)

Hah, I still sometimes hold a stack of 7 putters craddled in my left arm while practicing... Bad habit, in fact if my putting is horrible then Ill hold another putter in my left hand to get my putting stroke back... :roll:
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 am

I like to put my basket in a nice spot with trees around it or something. Then ill go out like 200 ft and throw 5 rocs at the basket. Then ill go and putt each one out like im playing a real round. Ill do the same thing with wizards. Approach 10 from 150' then go and putt em all out and treat each putt like it means something.

But with the cold coming my baskets made its way inside in my basement. Anyone else drag their basket inside for some winter putting?
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby deaddisc » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:43 am

I go back and forth on this subject; between getting a bunch of putters at the same weight/color, and having your go to only. When Im at the course I will take out only my go to putter(s) and practice with them until I get the feel. At home Ive found that having a large stack is quite usefull in minimizing retrieval time. I get a stool and put the putters on it; shoot all of them from 10', 20', 30', 40' and 50'. For each round if there are any misses I go to the furthest miss and shoot the entire stack again (unless it is a tap-in). You can keep score with this too (makes, misses on comebacks are negative, make all is a bonus), but that is just kinda made up by whomever is playing.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:05 pm

I usually take about 8-10 putters and toss them into various places in my yard, then I go to each place and go through my putting routine, putt and then go to the next spot. After I put all the discs in the basket (I putt all the misses too) I will then repeat the process with a different putting style, anhyzer, hyzer, straddle and left-handed. This takes me about 30-45 min. Sometimes I will get together with a couple of friends and we will play D-I-S-C. We can come up with some crazy shots: left-handed 2 finger putt; putt from your hands and knees with one hand marking your lie. You never know when that situation may occur.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Re: solo putting game

Postby Weebl » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:18 am

the invisible tree wrote:I'm trying to come up with some kind of game to play when I do my putting practice that will simulate some of the pressure of playing in a round.

When you practice, focus. You should be tired after an hour of putting. Get a routine, it doesnt matter if its the hokey pokey or a jock scratch, get something to help muscle memory.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion