Bag Tag Challenge

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag Tag Challenge

Postby dave9668 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:22 pm

A couple of the locals here wanna get a bag tag challenge going out here. I have been looking around trying to find a good deal on some tags. Anyone know of a good place to get some tags. Any advice on getting one started would be greatly appreciated.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:17 pm

what's a bag tag challenge?
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby dave9668 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:34 pm

From my basic understanding your club gets tags in numerical order that you disperse to the group, usually random draw to get started. Then whenever you are on the course or at events you challenge someone that has a tag whoever wins the round gets the lower tag number. You try and get and retain the lowest tag number. Its basically a fun and cheap way to compete. Most clubs require you to carry your tag at all times and you must accept challenges. This is just the basics because I have never been part of a bag tag challenge. The people that I have met that do the bag tag say its alot of fun.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby Frontman311 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:29 pm

I've heard the term but didn't know the concept, flippin' great idea...sorry though, don't know where to get any.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby dave9668 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:38 pm

They have one here so you all can see what I'm talking about. These are the only ones I have found. Hoping for a little variety. http://www.littleflyer.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/3
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby chris86wm » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:28 pm

Here is my bag tag from my local club. Im not sure where they bought em from but I will ask around.
ImageImage
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:09 am

I've been wanting our local club to get a bag tag system in place and 2007 may just be the year it happens

I like the idea of established bag tag events such as leagues and tourneys. Those willing to play for tags in casual rounds could do so but there would be no obligation to except the challenge. I think it would be a good way to mix things up and could offer some fun members only events.

I like the what the Mile High club does there Bag tags and will probably base our bag tag system on theirs
http://www.milehighdiscgolf.org/tags.php

here are some nice leather ones
http://www.toucangolf.com/leather.html

I have also seen clubs that use cattle tags
http://templetag.com/
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby chris86wm » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:13 am

the only problem with using bag tags is that some people get their hands on two tags (one high and one low). they keep the low tag at home and only use the high tag to compete with. this is really lame and kinda defeats the purpose of using tags.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:16 pm

chris86wm wrote:the only problem with using bag tags is that some people get their hands on two tags (one high and one low). they keep the low tag at home and only use the high tag to compete with. this is really lame and kinda defeats the purpose of using tags.

You are right but you are never going to be able to insure that this kind of stuff doesn't happen. I figure they are basically cheating themselves so eventually they may figure it out and play by the rules.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:14 pm

chris86wm wrote:the only problem with using bag tags is that some people get their hands on two tags (one high and one low). they keep the low tag at home and only use the high tag to compete with. this is really lame and kinda defeats the purpose of using tags.

the new sf bag tags came out and many people got a few since they bought multiple memberships to support the course... 1 and 2 went to the club founder and president. seems like the lowest number actually being played is 6... then there's a bunch more in the top 20 that are probably sitting on people's shelves. it doesn't bug me too much... if i get number 6 i know i'm the top cheese.

maybe we can get some with less significance so people will feel cool about playing with their tags no matter what the number... i think starting it with a random draw is another way to ensure they all get played. instead of giving them to the president who of course will never play it since i has that significance attached to it. oh well.

they are a great way to up the competitiveness any time on the course without putting a little money on the line.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby chris86wm » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:02 am

heres a question
I played doubles today in a mini at the course. I had tag #17, my partner had #57, and the other guys on our card had numbers 45 & 50. When we all finished we ended up losing by one stroke.
Now came the time to exchange tags. Obviously no one wants my partners tag (57) and the lowest tag on the other team (45) gets my tag (17).
Here is where I got confused. After I had traded the guy for his #45, his partner comes up to me and wants the #45 for his #50. WTF? I just traded my tag with his partner and now I have to trade again just because my partner had a higher number?
The way I look at it is the low tag on the other team gets my tag and the higher tag on the other team is SOL because my partner had a higher tag. I was confused and I am not sure how this is usually done in a doubles event so I traded him without even asking why.
Is this how its normally done?
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:27 am

easy way arund that. tags aren't up for grabs in dubs. it just gets way to confusing.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Eric O » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:16 am

Agreed w/ Rooster.

As for hoarding low tag numbers, it strikes me as a lame ass thing to do, but doesn't seem like a big deal.

Bagtags are mainly just about fund raising as far as I can tell, with a small side dish of bragging rights. If it is worth circumnavigating the spirit of the competition to claim a low tag number, then by all means enjoy it. :roll:
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:43 pm

yeah, just like doubles dosnt effect your pdga rating. I cant imagine how you would do tags at doubles.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:22 pm

Our club does tags and it's great. No one hoards #'s as the tag system is not based on collecting tags, but truly encouraging competition. We have a design contest each year for the tag design (stamped on leather), and the winner gets a free membership for the year. We give out one tag per person regardless of memberships paid for. No tags in doubles, it's meant to make individual competition fun. You must accept challenges and if you DNF, you forfeit your tag if it's not the lowest and automatically get the lowest tag in the group. We also have a club volunteer at all local tournaments that the club sponsors that collects all club member's tags. At the end of the tourny day, we redistribute based on overall finishes that day. Tags 1-5's locations are known at most times and are always in play. I can't stress how fun this is, if your club doesn't have a tag program, start one.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Next

Return to General Discussion