Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:07 am

There is a difference between punching a plastic putter and a metal mini.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Hoey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:29 am

ziggy wrote:
veganray wrote: For them, a missed putt or a bad rollaway may mean the difference between sleeping in a bed or in a backseat of a car next week, or the difference between steak or Cheetos (or nothing) for dinner. I'm not trying to justify unsporting behavior, but try to walk a mile in their shoes before you judge.

this. Barry chose to walk to the e.r. And quite possibly the unemployment line for the next 2mos. He made his choice.

Time to move on!

Which pro is next In line for such controversy of their choices?

my god that must be embarrassing.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby plastic_fondler » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 am

Although I haven't heard this from someone that saw Barry do this, he gets what he deserves with this kind of crap. I was hoping it was his backhand follow through that broke his hand.

I find Brad getting arrested for DUI much more embarrassing for himself and the PDGA tour.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby Dig It » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:24 am

Where are we getting this info that if they don't cash they sleep in the street? Do most Pros quit their jobs and rely purely on tournament cashing to sustain themselves?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby roadkill » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:35 am

Dig It wrote:Where are we getting this info that if they don't cash they sleep in the street? Do most Pros quit their jobs and rely purely on tournament cashing to sustain themselves?

Actually there are a number who do just that. Most have some sponsorship which basically amounts to little more than a pittance. Primarily the only other income most of them have is through disc sales. Innova may consign a couple hundred discs to them for $4-6 each, they sell them for $9-15 and then they keep the difference.

Come to think of it if they were crafty salesmen, they might do okay if they made contacts with course pros at busy courses with large active clubs. If they would show up on league night, put on a brief mini clinics they could probably move some discs by offering autographs with the discs that are sold. Say you target 4 courses' league nights a week and sell an average of 20 discs per appearance that's 80 discs a week at an average profit of $6.00 a disc that's nearly 500 a week to supplement your disc golf winnings. By no means lucrative but if you can average $700 a tourney in cash winnings plus $500 in discs sales profit, you wouldn't have to eat ramen noodles every night.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby josser » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Is the todocast broadcast going on today as well? The website says March 3-5 which does not include today. I`m thinking about giving them $5 to see a couple hours of action.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:28 pm

No live video coverage. They are producing a 30 minute wrap-up show from video shot today. It looks like they weren't able to shoot live at Vista where the pros finish up today. They only did live coverage at the Fountain course. It will cost you $20 to see the wrap-up show and the archived 12 hours of live streams from the past three days.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Chuck, so the wrap-up show won't have any of the Open play from today?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 pm

It will have primarily 30 minutes of coverage from today from what I understand.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:It will have primarily 30 minutes of coverage from today from what I understand.

That's good to hear. I thought the PDGA's experiment was worth a shot. Hopefully, they'll consider doing it for other events.
Timko

Postby gator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:23 pm

I know some payed to watch this just to support disc golf, but was the coverage worth the money?
Jerry R wrote:As you were with Dave's testicles.
gator
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:41 pm

gator wrote:I know some payed to watch this just to support disc golf, but was the coverage worth the money?

Yep. There was lots of golf to watch. The reason I like watching PGA golf is because I get to see a ton of shots in a 3-4 hour time span. This broadcast was very similar to that.

Also, Crazy John Brooks was doing interviews. I think that would be worth $20 alone. Crazy could be ESPN's disc golf correspondent in 10 years.
Timko

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:39 pm

That's good to hear. I thought the PDGA's experiment was worth a shot. Hopefully, they'll consider doing it for other events.

I'll point out again this was not the PDGA's experiment but a team of entrepreneurs (which happened to include the PDGA Marketing Director who is not an employee). They financed it all out of their own pockets offset by income from subscriptions and sponsorships. The only PDGA support was allowing their web presence for promotion and including info in emails to members. It's not that the PDGA isn't interested in the potential of live coverage but it just wasn't in the budget or at least wasn't approved by the Board to help fund the test.

I believe I heard they had plans for live coverage at two other events but they didn't indicate which ones. Pro Worlds would be a good one since all of the courses are on one site with power access for cabling.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Redisculous » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Nice thread title. As funny as I might find it, I remember a recent thread that was locked because there was discussion that was demeaning to a specific pro, can we see some consistancy?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby riverboy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Redisculous wrote:Nice thread title. As funny as I might find it, I remember a recent thread that was locked because there was discussion that was demeaning to a specific pro, can we see some consistancy?

So far this thread has been MUCH more civil than the Nikko thread. Hopefully we have learned where the line is for that stuff.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion