Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Why do we have to pay to watch the Memorial coverage?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:57 am

This is a big moment in our sport, as we are now measuring our disc golf community's willingness to pay a modest price to watch live. Keen, Columbia, Kavu, and many other outside companies are waiting to see what our response will be, so that they can determine their future relationships with the sport.

I never like when people phrase things like this; I don't know why but it really rubs me the wrong way. It's like a combination threat/ransom note to me. "you better sign up and pay for our service or else..."
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Timko » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 am

It's John's job to sell this coverage to us. I think people often forget that WE are the target demographic of this current coverage, not non disc golfers. Appealing to the pride of seeing disc golf grows seems like a good idea if I were in his shoes.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby DaPats » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
This is a big moment in our sport, as we are now measuring our disc golf community's willingness to pay a modest price to watch live. Keen, Columbia, Kavu, and many other outside companies are waiting to see what our response will be, so that they can determine their future relationships with the sport.

I never like when people phrase things like this; I don't know why but it really rubs me the wrong way. It's like a combination threat/ransom note to me. "you better sign up and pay for our service or else..."

If these companies are waiting to see our reponse on the live coverage then we are in a world of hurt to have thse companies stay invovled. I would guess that 70-80% percent of disc golfers work during the day. More people would probably willing to pay on the weekend when they are home. It just seems like this is set up for failure and a good chance to lose sponsors. This is working mans game and should be held on the weekend. Very bad marketing for a product if you ask me. Way to waste money PDGA. You could have taken that money and Johns salary and put it into to the purse of the NT so more pros can make a living off DG. The more people that can make a living off the sport the more it will grow. Stop wasting our dues with crappy videos and put it where it belongs. The NT.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby Desafinado » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:43 pm

If these companies are waiting to see our reponse on the live coverage then we are in a world of hurt to have thse companies stay invovled. I would guess that 70-80% percent of disc golfers work during the day. More people would probably willing to pay on the weekend when they are home. It just seems like this is set up for failure and a good chance to lose sponsors. This is working mans game and should be held on the weekend. Very bad marketing for a product if you ask me. Way to waste money PDGA. You could have taken that money and Johns salary and put it into to the purse of the NT so more pros can make a living off DG. The more people that can make a living off the sport the more it will grow. Stop wasting our dues with crappy videos and put it where it belongs. The NT.

While I agree with you that live coverage is not a good use of resources at this point in time, I strongly disagree with your statement about growing the sport through putting money into NT purses. Paying the top 50-100 disc golfers in the country an extra 100% income will not directly increase the player base for our sport, which is the first step in the long road towards larger prominence and real corporate sponsorship opportunities. As an aside, I would love it if pro purses were much larger, but that money absolutely needs to come from outside the PDGA and its members, or we're just 'recycling'.

I am of the opinion that nearly all discretionary PDGA spending should be sunk into youth programs, partnerships with schools, community engagement, and new course development. The predominant youth soccer program in the US, AYSO, has grown American interest and participation in the sport from virtually nothing in the late 60s to over 600,000 children participating today in competitive soccer in their organization alone.

The "bitter pill" I think we have to swallow is that our dream of a sport supporting several hundred top pros, with large-scale corporate sponsorship, is a long way away - barring Working Stiff's point about a powerball winner, that is 8) Even in the case of soccer in the US, only in the past 5-10 years has the professional league become established and somewhat lucrative(although obviously not when compared to the 'Big 4' US sports!) And they've been working youth leagues for 45 years now.

We're not going to fully achieve the worldwide proliferation, acceptance, and enrichment of disc golf during our lifetimes, but if we start laying the foundation now, our grandchildren will be able to watch National Tour-type events broadcast live. Immediate gratification - that is, dumping all resources into pro payouts - is not going to get us there, I don't believe.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby mzuleger » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm

I haven't read this whole thread so who knows if this opinion is even related to the current discussion but here it is anyway:

I'd consider paying if it were on pay-per-view but I won't pay to watch something over the internet. the quality tends to be poor and I just don't have as much patience when I'm online.. it's like selective ADD or something.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby jsun3thousand » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Anybody else getting sick of all the emails about signing up? The only thing they guarantee on the website is four hours of coverage everyday and the ability ot watch the archived footage. Paying money to watch billy crump and dr. duesler sit in front of pdga banner and jabber jaw about the weather is not something I want to pay for, or even watch.
Last edited by jsun3thousand on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby victorb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:Anybody else getting sick of all the emails about signing up?

yes, since I signed up back when it was first offered.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fullbag » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:06 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:Anybody else getting sick of all the emails about signing up?

I am. I can't even count how many emails I've got from John G. & co.

OK, I just counted them. The total is 11 emails.
KC Pro Aviar - Champion Rhyno - Glow/DX Roc - Star Leopard - Star TeeBird - Star Firebird - Star Wraith - Glow Champion Destroyer
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Postby nohr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:25 pm

I wrote a mean spirited email to Dr. John. He responded nicely which surprised me. Surprised me so much I almost paid for coverage. It is a double edge sword. Everyone wants to advance DG but not everyone wants to pay for it. I would not want to be put in a financial pinch b/c I was trying to do something good for the sport.

What I would like to see is a proposed budget. How much does this really take to put up live coverage? Once I knew that I would be a lot more comfortable donating money to a cause.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby emiller3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Hey JR and lcgm8, you guys going to submit a bid for the Worlds 2010 RFP that's on PDGA.com right now? You guys should put your name in the hat.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby veganray » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 pm

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Marshall Street Disc Golf & Triple Disc (producers, designers, programmers, printers, & replicators of the groundbreaking MSDGC DVDs) put in a technically similar & much less costly bid a couple of years ago which was rejected with the reason that the org was "more comfortable with the known quantity" of the status quo. Made us believe that the bid process was a sham dog-and-pony show & that the org was going with the expensive, less than stellar incumbent no matter what.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby emiller3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Yeah, that's not surprising to hear. Still think they should put a bid in anyway.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby veganray » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Me, too.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby homebrew » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Ya, I purchased one just to see how it goes. Maybe I'll win $2500 :)
homebrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby pdorries » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:33 pm

im surprised so many people are against this.

it is TEN DOLLARS... yeah its during work hours, yeah it will probably be only a few holes, yeah it is going to have bad commentary... but our sport is unfortunately NOT A BIG DEAL to most people, so we can't just have free coverage like other sports do

the bottom line is, ten bux allows you to watch some live footage... if you don't like it then don't buy it, but that really isn't much money considering most golfers are going to spend that much on a disc, 2 packs of cigs, a 6 pack of beer, or a pizza. I mean if you can't skip a few cigs or skip a meal to watch some footage of disc golf then you have some issues.

10 bux isn't that much and I gladly paid the money, hopefully I can catch a couple of my local friends on camera throwing whatever holes they are showing, it will be worth it to me. I can understand wanting to see the budget and see where the money is going if they were charging 30 bux like a pay per view costs. But in my mind it is as simple as... you get to watch a little live golf for 10 bux... someone should be getting paid for putting this on the net live... I can't wait to watch
- destroyers - wraiths - beasts - firebirds - teebirds - eagles - rocs - gator - aviars - TEAM INNOVA -

get some innova plastic and get to winnin
pdorries
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: destroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion