Night Golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Night Golf

Postby kdavis » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 am

My first few tries at night golf involved taping a red LED and a lithium watch battery to a Z-Flash and Puttrrr. It worked pretty well, but I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to try a GlowFly. We shot 18 holes last night and while neither of us lost the glowflys, they were much harder to see than the lighted discs. I'll definately be moving back to a led and battery. However the glowfly is a very cool disc, we were playing the short course at 285 and Kipling in Denver and the glowfly worked well as a mid range driver, in fact I birdied hole 7 both rounds.
kdavis
Noob

Postby Eric O » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Some friends and I got out for a rd last evening. As we were walking off the course at sunset, we saw a couple guys teeing off on the first hole with drivers that had the whole rim illuminated.

Never seen these before. They are an actual golf disc mold, looking sort of like a Z XL. They have a battery and electronics on the middle of the flight plate on the bottom, that is wired to some lights built in to the peremeter of the wing. When the lights are on the whole wing lights up. Looks awesome in flight.

The guys using them said they were pretty understable but still fly ok.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:43 pm

sounds cool...I have a beach type frisbee like that. my mom gave it to me as a stocking stuffer for xmas one year, it's pretty cool and looks awesome when it flies. it's made of hard plastic, and well, flies like a beach frisbee so it wouldn't be much use for dg. did you happen to get the name/manufacturer of those discs the guys were throwing?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:42 pm

I have used glow braclets taped to the bottom of my disc with clear duct tape, they are .88 for 2 at Wally World and work great they glowed for more than 24hrs as well.

These also work reall good and can be turned on and off

They cost about 2.47 at Wally World
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby K-Dog 19 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:43 pm

I was wondering? Do Glow discs like the Innova Glow Teebird and Aviar work well in the dark right after sundown?
Once upon a time a Monster ran into a mob of Avengers, they attacked him with their pet Leopard, the Buzzz was all around the city that even the Wizards had to use ear plugs. :D
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: First X Avenger ever

Postby swel304 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:43 pm

K-Dog 19 wrote:I was wondering? Do Glow discs like the Innova Glow Teebird and Aviar work well in the dark right after sundown?

they work great for about 5 minutes :roll: I also picked up a 6 inch handheld blacklight to quick charge them but it doesnt put out enough light to really charge the plastic to its full glow. The 18 inch blacklight I have charges them really well but its not batter powered. I guess depending on how many people your playing with and how fast of a group it is they may work but you will need a very high powered light to charge them with between every hole, and if you take to long they arent going to be glowing anymore.

glock23 and I have been working on some led ideas. check them out here
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1550
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby K-Dog 19 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:44 pm

:? You have to charge them? I thought we were talking about those discs Innova makes that are $10-$12.
Once upon a time a Monster ran into a mob of Avengers, they attacked him with their pet Leopard, the Buzzz was all around the city that even the Wizards had to use ear plugs. :D
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Postby cmrichar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:49 pm

I would just like to add something. do you know those little LED lights charge up glow in the dark things REALLY well. You can "write" messages or pictures on the disc and throw it. You have to hold it close to the disc an move it all over if you want to cover the whole disc. It is really cool.
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby cmrichar » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:50 pm

K-Dog 19 wrote::? You have to charge them? I thought we were talking about those discs Innova makes that are $10-$12.

What he means by that is giving the disc light so it "charges" it or collects light. He is reffering to what you are thinking its just that the glow slowly looses its "charge" just like all other glow in the dark thing.
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby K-Dog 19 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:05 pm

Oh :o ...ok, I get it, so would something like a flashlight work or not? :?
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:25 pm

From what I've seen, the flashlights/glow discs don't work all that great. A buddy has a glow roc and tried charging it with a big mag-lite (the 6 battery kind). Right after you pull the light away from the disc, it looks pretty cool, but by the time you throw it, and walk up to the disc, you might as well just be looking for a white disc in the dark. Some plastics might work better (the roc was pretty old), and some lights might work better, but that's just what I've seen.

The LEDs you can put on your disc are way better IMO. You can spot them from a mile away and they look really damn cool too. I just got a couple glow wizards recently though, and I can say that glow plastic does feel really good.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Worm 28 wrote:
K-Dog 19 wrote::? You have to charge them? I thought we were talking about those discs Innova makes that are $10-$12.

What he means by that is giving the disc light so it "charges" it or collects light. He is reffering to what you are thinking its just that the glow slowly looses its "charge" just like all other glow in the dark thing.

no... i meant pull out some jumper cables, hook them to the car battery and the disc........ :roll: sorry I couldnt resist :lol: any light will charge the glow plastic but it doesnt hold the glow for long. the higher wattage (brighter and hotter) the light is the faster and more fully it will charge the plastic. Problem is after about 5 min its lost enough charge that its hard to see if its still glowing at all. Ive heard discraft photon glow is the best but mine is not all that impressive. the best one I have seen yet is a glow Z MRV that I have, when properly charged it will glow quite brightly for about 12-15 min. I have decided to use the light pods on the glow mrv and charge it with the blacklight as I go :lol: what would be really cool is a disc with built in lights and one of the shaker chargers that would charge the disc when it spins.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Just played glow for the first time wednesday night. I have to say that glow is one of the most illinous discgolf experiences of my life. There is no need for a glow disc, we play roc putter only and the bobber lights are perfect. Everybody grab your roc n putter, tape a bobber light on (works best when the disc is warm) and play some glow. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. i actually played better at night, it was also cool to play with local legend Jim Myers
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Terrence » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm assuming you taped on the top of a Roc? Did it fly the same?
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:37 pm

no noticable change to flight of the disc
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Next