Ace King!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ace King!

Postby Fritz » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Check this dude out!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DiscGolfer

This guy is insane!
As of November 7th (which I think is his latest ace) he stands at 140.
Purely Amazing. from #39 on all or most on film.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jmammo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:06 am

I have watched some of these before, They tend to get boring after a while. I have to give this guy credit though that is a hell of a lot of aces.
Jack
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:58 am

Hmm, yeah, it is definitely impressive that he has that many aces, but does anybody else find it strange (and maybe a little arrogant) that this guy walks around filming himself at every hole? Maybe there's a reason he's always alone. :lol:

I looked him up on the PDGA site and he's only rated 910. Granted, that's a hell of a lot better than I'll be when I become a competing member, but for somebody with 140 aces, that's pretty lackluster. I'm guessing he just plays the same one or two courses all the time, and has them down pat--when it comes to new territory though, he's knocked down a few notches.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:11 am

Yea ive heard of that guy. He plays at the Rutgers course which I heard is very very short.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby chris86wm » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:11 pm

yep, i have also noticed that every hole he aces is around 200 ft. The course he plays on the VERY short. I bet he is throwing the same hole over and over instead of playing a full round. He probably sets up, walks back to the pad, shoots, and then repeats this over and over until he gets an ace. Its kinda sad if you think about it. I couldnt imagine having to play behind this guy!
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:18 pm

He's got pretty good amount at some other courytses too. But yeah, if you play a course enough you coudl technically figure out the routes and ace just about everytime.
Still impressive no matter. Also even if it is short, ya still have to weave those trees.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby presidio hills » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:35 pm

i'm not too impressed if he just sets his camera up on a hole and throws at it over and over again...
i suspect that's what he's doing, since it seems more practical than setting the camera up on every hole in a round. i don't have many rules as to what constitutes an ace, but i do think that it should be during an actual round... second shots off the tee don't really count, imo. and if you're just throwing shot after shot at a basket that definitely doesn't count.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Ugh...I think the worst part of those videos is the horrible music on them. Having to listen to that as he slowly waddles up to the basket is too painful, I can't give them another viewing. I swear that must be the music they play on the elevator to hell! :twisted:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:36 pm

That's Carl Cubbege. He's a Rutgers local. The Rutgers course is a very old course and when played from the standard (non-tourney) tees it plays very very short.

He and his buddy Big John play many practice rounds at easier courses lugging the camera around. One of the holes he aces at Rutgers is really not much more than a long putt. After viewing these I wondered if he just sets up the camera and throws repeatedly until one goes in.

He has a few aces at some other courses but all the ones I've seen are on extremely easy holes. I don't recall seeing any aces on holes over 300'. That's his little hobby and if that makes him happy then fine but I'm certainly not impressed myself.

One point I'd like to make is that the number of aces one has has little to do with one's playing ability. I went through a ten year ace drought but also recorded many 1000 rated rounds and cashed in a lot of pro events. During that same period I know of some local amateurs that had 20-30 aces but head to head they rarely, if ever beat me. More recently I've had a number of aces (three tourney aces this year) yet I'd say I'm playing rather poorly with my rating being the lowest it's been in about 5 years.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:02 pm

aces = overthrows heh.

however, any ace is a good ace.

this year i hit chains 18 times without an ace stick, bringing my total to 114 times without an ace since i started DG.

after teeing off at a really short hole with a stack of rocs and hitting chains 5 times in 8 throws with no sticks, i can say that any stick is a good stick heh.

i do have a bunch of fairway aces... including one from about 320'... but it wasn't on a first throw. i also had an object ace on a 405' hole that had its basket stolen and we were playing to a tree near where the pin used to be...
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:42 am

All my aces have been at a very short course (longest hole 305', shortest 119') and my longest chain out was about 325' for a birdie on a 600' hole. A handful of object aces, a guy I play with has somewhere around 8 or 9 and all but 1 were aced by trying to park the hole and overshooting or skipping it in. Blake, I'd say you were due a few years ago, but ultimately it's not my choice. :p
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Blake_T wrote:aces = overthrows heh.

Yes, I agree with that for the most part. About 80% of my aces would have been a long deuce putt had they missed metal. There are only a couple holes/situations where I try to run an ace. Most of the time it's when the hole is short, open and uphill and feel I can run it chain high and still keep it within 25' of the pin if (when) I miss. Or anytime there is a sizable acepot and I find myself out of contention for cash in the final round. Of my basket aces (~15), only one was I trying to ace it and on that one I called it before I took the tee. I hit the basket on the previous hole and I hadn't had an ace in many years so I announced to the group: "You watch I'm going to ace this next hole right now." I then stepped up and threw my XD a perfect hyzer strike over a bush under some branches around the bend and into the heart of the chains.

this year i hit chains 18 times without an ace stick, bringing my total to 114 times without an ace since i started DG.

Two things I find amazing:
1. That you've kept track of all your chain strikes

2. That you haven't had one stay in with over 100 in close proximity.

I don't keep track of how many near misses I have, but I'd guess my ace to chain strike ratio is probably in the 1 to 7 ballpark and my ace to metal ratio somewhere around 1 to 60 neighborhood.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby cmrichar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:00 pm

I think he is super sick or its a fake. check out his 125th ace. if you watch it carefully exactly at the one minute mark you see the disc go up, then it dissapeers then at the 1:06 mark you see it again finally going into the basket. I think that it might be a fake, but I give him some credit. here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYb7EYYO ... ed&search=
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby jmammo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:25 pm

in the description he said "During the round I was playing 2 discs per hole so if you look close you will see the first disc played just before the Ace with the second disc." the first disc at 1min the second at 1:06.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby cmrichar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:56 pm

jmammo wrote:in the description he said "During the round I was playing 2 discs per hole so if you look close you will see the first disc played just before the Ace with the second disc." the first disc at 1min the second at 1:06.

Ah, makes more sense now... didn't catch that, thx
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion