Disc golf in the winter

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc golf in the winter

Postby cmrichar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:21 pm

I just recently have gotten into disc golf and was wondering if anyone has played on a frozen pond/lake. We have a fairly large pond and was wondering what it would be like playing on the ice. The pond has an island and a penninsula so I thought it would be cool to put a basket on the island/peninnsula. I am definately going to try this out this winter. Let me know if you or other people have done this and what it was like.

And another question...does the cold weather affect the durability of discs. Or in other words are the discs more brittle in cold weather? Thanks.
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby mothrows » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:42 pm

I split an old dx t-bird into two pieces a few winters ago. It hit a guide wire and just split in two. I thought it was kinda cool. :)
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

winter disc golf

Postby twmccoy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:58 pm

Hope the ice you use is thick. If you fall through you will have a very hard time surviving. I see people chase discs down on frozen lakes here, but the ice isn't that thick and can break easily.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: winter disc golf

Postby cmrichar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 pm

twmccoy wrote:Hope the ice you use is thick. If you fall through you will have a very hard time surviving. I see people chase discs down on frozen lakes here, but the ice isn't that thick and can break easily.

Oh yeah, it is quite thick. I only will go on it when it is the thickest. Usually it is so thick we can take a 4-wheeler on it. But you are right it is quite dangerous and we will be careful.
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby jmammo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:57 pm

mothrows wrote:Iust split in two.

That is what I think would happen during the winter. This will be my first winter playing so I am going to at least get out once when there is snow on the ground. I would think if the disc was already beat in it would have a better chance of breaking. Another factory would be the type of plastic you used. DX being more easily broken then say champion.
Jack
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Amateur » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:59 pm

The downside to Champ over DX is the lack of grip. Nothing worse than clutching onto a disc that feels cold and unflexible in the hand. Add slippery to that and you got enough reason to go here http://discgolf.gottagogottathrow.com/c ... 6379a243d4.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:37 pm

discs are hard to break, i have had a couple break, but they were very stiff dx type plasitc, flying very fast (not max power, instead faster due to wind aide) and hit something hard (buildings and tree trunks) even in the cold you shouldnt worry about breaking dx discs, no matter how beat
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby kvanorsdel » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 pm

This will be my 3rd winter playing. I throw almost all champion plastic and haven't had any problems with discs breaking. I have noticed that when spring comes around I have added some more distance, as I have slowed things down while throwing in the snow, which has seemed to help me with my form.

Disc Golf is a year round sport even if you live in northern climates
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:15 pm

earlier in 2006 i posted pictures of a Z wildcat that i broke....with the exception of the wing....there was a straight crack through the middle of the disc.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Return to General Discussion