AM Nationals Qualifications

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

AM Nationals Qualifications

Postby masterbeato » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 am

there is not a lot of information out on this event yet, but it says one of the ways to qualify is being the top 5 AM in each U.S. state to automatically qualify with a minimum of 8 rated (counted) rounds toward your qualification.

now my question is, do those rounds have to be towards your 2010 rating, or can it be your counted rounds throughout the years of being PDGA current?

my rating is 978 and is good enough for being the top AM in the state of MN, but i do not think that counts because i only have 7 rounds counted, but since i have other ratings from the previous years counted, do i qualify? or do i have to at least play another round this spring and am i good to go after that?

reason for these questions is seeing if any discraft sponsored players or just people that have qualified in the past can give me some input on this.

i have also never played in anything bigger than a C-Tier.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: AM Nationals Qualifications

Postby ziggy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:47 am

Play another round.

Also they designate certain tourneys and top % get an invite.

Might be majestic for u if not too late for cutoff. Assuming event july/aug

Didnt check when they start invitation Time frame, so small chance they started last fall.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Toomes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:25 am

I played in AM Nats last year, although I qualified through a tournament not from being a top 5 AM in my state.

It has to be your current counted rounds. It doesn't have to be rounds in 2010. It's however many rounds are in your ratings detail. Some of your rounds might get dropped by the time AM Nats comes around though. Regardless you need to play more rounds.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 am

Majestic is two weeks after Am Nats. Looking forward to being the PDGA marshal there this year.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Disc Golf Live » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am

Hey, Chuck -

I think I'll be doing some online video features for the PDGA this year. I'm looking forward to the event as well and putting together story ideas. I'm considering a "feature holes" focus for my pre-event piece. If you're interested, it would be nice to get your take on the selected holes, if the timing is right. My favorite hole is #6. Doesn't have the "wow" factor of the giant hills but its a pure golf hole.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby Toomes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:00 am

Hole 6 is one of the tougher par 4s out there because each shot has a challenge. It's not the most visually appealing hole and I don't think it would be the easiest hole to film on either.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby Disc Golf Live » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:42 am

Six isn't hard, camera-wise. The drive and second shot can be captured from the dogleg corner. Then there's a hike to follow a group to the green. There are plenty of holes where there's a big wow factor because of the hills, so I'll feature some of that too after inspecting the stats to see where action happens the most. They're mostly easy to shoot. But the interior holes are interesting in their own regard. Number six was the hands-down winner of my informal poll among pros (a couple years ago) for "best" hole out there. Number 17 was also popular.

I might try to line up a few of the top prospects the day before play starts and tape them playing the selected holes, that would make a nice feature story highlighting both the course and the competition.
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm

#12, my personal favorite hole. 13 would be good for camera shooting as well.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby masterbeato » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:02 pm

there is no qualifying tournaments in MN before AM Nationals. i cannot play AM next year and this is my only chance basically. there is one in Menasha, WI just outside Green Bay but that is the closest one to me and doubt i will be able to make that.

i guess my only chance is to go there and play the course and try to get a top 5 qualification score wise a few days before the event.

if i go, i am going there to win.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Toomes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Last year they opened it up to any am player that had a player rating higher than 955 (I think) since the tourney wasn't full. I have a feeling they'll do that again this year.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

cool,

thanks guys, i am going to do everything in my power to get in with your help on this thread. i just wanted to be clear on it.

i heard it usually does not fill up since most of the ams skip nationals, and play the worlds. i looked at last year and it looks like they were 1 guy short for fill.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Toomes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I haven't been to Worlds, but AM Nationals was probably the best tournament I've been to. Great course, really well run, tee times with name getting announced each round. Good times. Definitely try to get in.

If you haven't seen it, here's footage of the first three holes of my second round last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfUQ7jofj8Q
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Is nats at the toboggan again this year?
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Toomes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm

It's at the Toboggan course every year.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby AbelRod » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

DCC wrote:Last year they opened it up to any am player that had a player rating higher than 955 (I think) since the tourney wasn't full. I have a feeling they'll do that again this year.

is there any way we can find out if its 955 or just anyone
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Next

Return to General Discussion